OT: Sens Lounge LXXXIV | New names, old faces!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Yeah, it actually is. There is an avalanche of awful, unacceptable, outright sexist female leads & protagonists in most kids stuff, even today. For every Brave or other good example, there are a thousand Barbie-style CGI garbage movies.
Still... these are a small handful of acceptable movies in a horrible put of terrible role models for young girls. You would be amazed at the crap my daughter's friends watch and how it affects them.

OK, fair enough, it's true I probably have no idea about the whole segment of crap available for the girls market. Pretty much all the movies we watch are downloaded and thus largely under my control, plus the odd movie they mention that their friends have talked about or they've seen at a friend's house, which are generally terrible (Jimmy Neutron's the only one I can recall off the top of my head). And we don't have a TV. And live in a degree of geographical cultural insulation from the worst commercial garbage..

But I would just like to complain that having two boys means they basically spend all their time punching each other.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Still worried about plastic??

I went to Dunkin Donuts only to find the $100 gift card I bought from Raise.com has been "deactivated" by dunkinbrands.com...

Then I ordered an egg & cheese croissant for my vegetarian gf only to get home and find out they put bacon on it.

Would rather have had the microwave-plastic lasagna. Even with the harmful chemicals (whether in the plastic or in the food or both)

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
What do people think of this guy? Have you heard of him before? Does it look like he's just trying to sell his products or just help people get healthier?
I watched a bunch of his food/drink prep videos and he always seems to make sense (to me anyway).

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
The Witcher 3 might be the best open world game ever

That's some super-high praise.

I've never played either of its predecessors which is putting me off playing it.

Ah well. I just downloaded Fallout 3 on my computer with all of its DLC so that should hold me over for while (or at least until Arkham Knight comes out).

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
How have I never heard of these Witcher games before? Witcher 3 is the first one I hear about.

Is it similar to Skyrim?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

I've never played either of its predecessors which is putting me off playing it.

Ah well. I just downloaded Fallout 3 on my computer with all of its DLC so that should hold me over for while (or at least until Arkham Knight comes out).

i think a quarter of my life is in that game. still favorite of all time. just feels good walking around out there.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
i think a quarter of my life is in that game. still favorite of all time. just feels good walking around out there.

I figure that I've beaten Fallout: New Vegas probably 4 or 5 times through now that I should revisit Fallout 3 to quench my Bethesda open-world thirst.

I also never played the DLC so I'm looking forward to that.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

I never played the previous ones either and it doesn't affect much, I love the game. I also needed a game desperately as I don't think I've played a video game for the past five months. I'll probably get that Arkham game too, at least there's stuff that interests me finally coming out. If I didn't use my Xbox one as my entertainment center it would have been collecting tons of dust ever since I bought it.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah, it actually is. There is an avalanche of awful, unacceptable, outright sexist female leads & protagonists in most kids stuff, even today. For every Brave or other good example, there are a thousand Barbie-style CGI garbage movies.

I fully admit you're not aware of the bad ones unless you have a daughter though. You need to trust me on this, though - next time you're at a store that sells DVD's, go look at the pink section.

As for your other examples... Glitch, meh. She's kind of neutral. I liked it, but the entire movie she spent whining and being dependant on others to get things done. It was a funny role, admittedly.

Frozen - literally the two worst people you would want to run a country, haha. It was better than most other movies though as far as role models are concerned, fair enough.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 is a better example of this than the first one was.

Still... these are a small handful of acceptable movies in a horrible put of terrible role models for young girls. You would be amazed at the crap my daughter's friends watch and how it affects them. Like, 6 year olds chastizing my daughter for wanting to be a doctor "because that's a boy's job, girls become vets".

I dunno... I fully admit it gets to me more than some other people. I mean, even now, I feel like I want to go rifle through her DVDs and pull out all the garbage she's been given by her friends over the years.

What you need to do is take your daughter to see Mad Max Fury Road so she can idolize Charlize Theron's Furiosa!

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I never played the previous ones either and it doesn't affect much, I love the game. I also needed a game desperately as I don't think I've played a video game for the past five months. I'll probably get that Arkham game too, at least there's stuff that interests me finally coming out. If I didn't use my Xbox one as my entertainment center it would have been collecting tons of dust ever since I bought it.

Yeah PS4 has the better exclusives so far, thats for sure. It sucks not being able to play INfamous and especially Bloodborne. You know they're going to be making more Uncharted and Last of Us games as well.

Oh well, maybe Ill just buy a PS4 at some point too to play those games.

I have so many on the go as it is, Dark Souls 2, the Witcher 3 and then the online games i play. Plus I bought my girlfriend a wii with all the zelda games i never played.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Anyone who hasn't played the previous Witcher games shouldn't be worried everything is clearly explained and in fact, not knowing anything might make things rather simple and everything (so far) is self contained, references to previous games and the books are mostly candy for the fans, nothing really important.

Be warned that it plays like a PC game so the controls take a bit of getting used to: they are on the floaty side (when compared to Assassin Creed which has heavy controls) and the game is utterly unforgiving

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Anyone who hasn't played the previous Witcher games shouldn't be worried everything is clearly explained and in fact, not knowing anything might make things rather simple and everything (so far) is self contained, references to previous games and the books are mostly candy for the fans, nothing really important.

Be warned that it plays like a PC game so the controls take a bit of getting used to: they are on the floaty side (when compared to Assassin Creed which has heavy controls) and the game is utterly unforgiving

Hmmm. This is intriguing then. There's a decent chance I'll end up getting it sooner rather than later. I have yet to hear much negativity surrounding the game.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Hmmm. This is intriguing then. There's a decent chance I'll end up getting it sooner rather than later. I have yet to hear much negativity surrounding the game.

I haven't played it all that much yet, only up to the first boss. Its a beautiful game, script seems well written, voice acting is superb. The combat system seems simple at first but does have depth to it, I had to tinker with things before I could kill said boss. But I am playing it on hard as well, which is probably dumb since I never played the first two games :P

My only gripe is that the controls seem rather stiff, but im sure ill get used to them as i go along.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I got Witcher 2 on PC for free. It seemed like a good game and I wanted to enjoy it but the controls were so bad I couldn't play it after 10mins. Unistalled it.

The whole Witcher series looks really good and I only hear positive stuff about it.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I got Witcher 2 on PC for free. It seemed like a good game and I wanted to enjoy it but the controls were so bad I couldn't play it after 10mins. Unistalled it.

The whole Witcher series looks really good and I only hear positive stuff about it.

Exactly the same here. Couldn't deal with the mechanics. They felt clunky. I'm sure the story is fantastic but the awkward controls never let me get properly immersed.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
The Witcher 3 might be the best open world game ever

That's really not that high of praise is it really? Bethesda games really aren't that great outside Morrowind, the GTV and Saints Row franchises are really love it or hate it type games.

The only real modern competition is Assassins Creed and that series peaked at 2.

Am I missing any other ones?

(I guess Dishonored was my GOTY 2013, but that was more because of how bad the rest of the field was in 2013)

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
That's really not that high of praise is it really? Bethesda games really aren't that great outside Morrowind, the GTV and Saints Row franchises are really love it or hate it type games.

The only real modern competition is Assassins Creed and that series peaked at 2.

Am I missing any other ones?

(I guess Dishonored was my GOTY 2013, but that was more because of how bad the rest of the field was in 2013)

Red Dead Redemption was absolutely amazing. In fact Witcher 3 reminds me of RDR a lot: horse riding and lots of strings in the OST.

If I'm to be honest Witcher 3 is shaping up like one of the best games ever but that kind of statement usually starts a whole lot of trouble so I decided "best of it's genre" was favourable.

I've put 30 hours in about a week, I've cancelled plans to play it over the weekend. This game is the real deal: if you like fantasy and open world (some people just don't like open world and prefer very tight narrative) you owe it to yourself to play it.

As far as Witcher 2 goes I feel ya Benny: I bought it day 1 and it took me a good six months before I got into it. But once I did I never looked back, I finished it again to get ready for this game.

Seriously, this game is just bonkerz good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad