OT: Sens Lounge LXXX | HEY! BRANDINE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
scenesfromtheclassstruggleinspringfield2.png

tumblr_llas9wO0Zb1qbxntw.gif

Continue debating how onions are awesome.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Why coconut oil?

And I also despise onions and won't eat anything that's made with 'em. My grandfather was the same way.

Coconut oil because it's the best thing to cook with on a stovetop after duck fat.

Plenty of healthy reasons and it's tasty too

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
Coconut oil because it's the best thing to cook with on a stovetop after duck fat.

Plenty of healthy reasons and it's tasty too
Whoa. Don't use coconut to cook with on the stove dawg. It has a very low smoke point and that is when it starts to degrade to some carcinogenic by-products.

Additionally it has extremely high saturated fats. Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive (Peanut and Corn are also alright) for stovetop.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Whoa. Don't use coconut to cook with on the stove dawg. It has a very low smoke point and that is when it starts to degrade to some carcinogenic by-products.

Additionally it has extremely high saturated fats. Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive (Peanut and Corn are also alright) for stovetop.

Saturated fats are more stable at temperature than the unsaturated fats you named. Also, cold pressed means that they haven't been cooked once already and most of the corn and peanut oils use heat in the processing.

http://balancedbites.com/2014/06/faqs-what-are-safe-cooking-fats-oils.html

EVOO, Avocado oil and coconut oil are basically all I use. But I only cook stove top at medium low...

Saturated fat is helpful to a degree, you need some. Plus it's a medium chain triglyceride, so your body burns it like a carb effectively.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
French onion is the second best soup of all time. ALL TIME. Some melted gruyere, real onions and none of that Lipton broth BS, those tureen-style serving bowls... mmm.

Fusbolito

Jan 29, 2012
"You might could wear these to yer job interview..."

"And scuff up the topless dancin' runway? Nah, you best bring 'em back where from you got 'em."

"Ok. Back you go, to waits for a woman of less discriminatin' tastes"

2AuqA2n.png

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I like olive oil on everything, my Italian roots have a part in that!

I remember having olive oil gelato at Ristorante Otto in Manhattan, it was garnished with rock salt, it was amazing!

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
French onion is the second best soup of all time. ALL TIME. Some melted gruyere, real onions and none of that Lipton broth BS, those tureen-style serving bowls... mmm.

HatW - I'm really happy fo you - imma letchoo finish, but Smash88 is dissing one of the best vegetables OF ALL TIME.

Omfg how can you be dissing broccoli? I LOVE steamed broccoli - especially with poached eggs and toast for breakfast. The fibre in the broccoli is really helpful to a healthy diet imho. Sometimes, for me at least, the egg, toast and coffee leave an indigestion feeling and usually the broccoli evens everything out.

I try and eat a variety of vegetables but broccoli is one of my fav's.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
HatW - I'm really happy fo you - imma letchoo finish, but Smash88 is dissing one of the best vegetables OF ALL TIME.

Omfg how can you be dissing broccoli? I LOVE steamed broccoli - especially with poached eggs and toast for breakfast. The fibre in the broccoli is really helpful to a healthy diet imho. Sometimes, for me at least, the egg, toast and coffee leave an indigestion feeling and usually the broccoli evens everything out.

I try and eat a variety of vegetables but broccoli is one of my fav's.

LOL.. Yeah I eat most vegetables, but I just can't with broccoli, the taste is fine but the texture I can't stand..

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Baby potatoes fresh out of the garden, boiled with the skin on, and topped with really good butter and herbs. Yum! Best veggie ever.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Baby potatoes fresh out of the garden, boiled with the skin on, and topped with really good butter and herbs. Yum! Best veggie ever.

Potatoes are great. Definitely my favourite(and sweet potato) non-cereal-food. People hate on them because of the starch/carbs but they are actually pretty healthy and really filling. Loaded with vitamins and minerals.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I like potatoes, but I try not to eat too much of them as it's easy to eat potatoes but not so easy to eat kale, carrots, broccoli, brussel sprouts, etc.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Brocolli is fine if you leave it as is but as soon as you steam it, it becomes unbearable. Also, sweet potatoes <333

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I can't believe this madness you all speak of. First Benny w/ the onions, then Smash w/ the broccoli hatred, and now Bonk has to pick on the Brussels sprouts (oh and btw I thought it was 'brussel sprouts' until the little red squiggly line set me straight). And what is this business about ruining broccoli by steaming? That is by far the ideal way to enjoy broccoli. Warm, but not boiled which overcooks. I love Brussels sprouts too - steamed with butter and garlic - another fibre / vitamin-rich food.

All this talk makes me wonder how children develop dislikes of food. Is it an in-born dislike that is passed on via DNA, or is there some traumatic event that causes the development?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I can't believe this madness you all speak of. First Benny w/ the onions, then Smash w/ the broccoli hatred, and now Bonk has to pick on the Brussels sprouts (oh and btw I thought it was 'brussel sprouts' until the little red squiggly line set me straight). And what is this business about ruining broccoli by steaming? That is by far the ideal way to enjoy broccoli. Warm, but not boiled which overcooks. I love Brussels sprouts too - steamed with butter and garlic - another fibre / vitamin-rich food.

All this talk makes me wonder how children develop dislikes of food. Is it an in-born dislike that is passed on via DNA, or is there some traumatic event that causes the development?

I think it's more a result of your parents not knowing how to cook something properly. Once I started cooking for myself, I found plenty of ways to make Brussels sprouts not taste so bitter. My preference is actually to have them with various flavours of vinegar.

Also broccoli is awesome in pretty much any manner... raw, steamed, grilled, roasted.

That and TV forcing an imprint (broccoli and Brussels sprouts were always the 'evil' vegetables).

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
now Bonk has to pick on the Brussels sprouts

I fully admit my hatred of Brussels sprouts has to do more with conditioning than anything else.

It's such a unique taste that brings up bad mojo for me. It's probably the one childhood food that I never grew out of my dislike for. There's an association that I'm not fond of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad