Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Don't take this personally

GOD DAMN IT PEOPLE!

Health care coverage is provincial, the Federal Government does not decide what is and what isn't covered

There wasn't much left-leaning under Chretien and Martin I'd argue

The CPC have completely ****ed up the Medical Marijuana program. People used to be allowed to grow for themselves but now they have to go through businesses who overcharge like crazy (because they can and because of all the added costs of going through the regulations and red tape).

Regarding your comment "Health care coverage is provincial, the Federal Government does not decide what is and what isn't covered", the Federal government helps pay the costs and could provide funds for the new programs as an incentive to the provinces to provide them. But the current Conservative federal government won't because it wants to lower taxes, cut red tape (meaning cut enforcement of laws), and does not believe in funding drug care, dental care and other medicare programs for all Canadian citizens. The Conservatives are a right wing party like the USA Republicans who believe in the do-and-pay-for-it-yourself approach.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I was responding to someone who seemed to want the NDP to matter at a federal level in order to have more things covered by medicare (medicare is the wrong term as well, we don't have medicare in Canada)

The NDP could have a majority government and give a ton of money to the Provinces and that still might not happen: the Provincial government could use the money for something else (health care related)

The Government of Canada cannot tell the Provinces what they have to cover

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Don't take this personally

GOD DAMN IT PEOPLE!

Health care coverage is provincial, the Federal Government does not decide what is and what isn't covered

I don't take it personally, but I still disagree with you on this.

The federal government does play a role in regulating public health care through the Canada Health Act, and also through the Canada Health Transfers. The federal government could negotiate with the provinces to expand the Health Act to cover (in principle) those three aforementioned areas, and in exchange the provinces get larger CHTs or, perhaps, a transfer of taxation powers.

And yes, I realize the Health Act does not explicitly mention what is and isn't covered, in practice, intergovernmental relations determine what ought to be covered by the provinces in accordance with the principles and intent of the Act.

I think the Libs and CPC would be content to sit with the current system, since they've been far more concerned about running balanced budgets than about expanding social programs, but I could see the NDP acting on it or pressuring a minority Liberal government to act on it.

Last edited:

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I was responding to someone who seemed to want the NDP to matter at a federal level in order to have more things covered by medicare (medicare is the wrong term as well, we don't have medicare in Canada)

I like the NDP because I'm supportive of labour and want to see social programs expanded in general. Medicare seems like an ideal place to start, since no party is going to categorically reject expanding that, and since there's been support for revising our system through the Romanow Report. At any rate, I'm not an NDP die hard. I like the Liberals (Chretien is my favourite PM, to illustrate my point). Just find them hard to judge at the moment.

On that last point; medicare was the old name of the program, I believe. Either way, while it may not be the 'accurate' term, everyone knows what I was referring to.

The NDP could have a majority government and give a ton of money to the Provinces and that still might not happen: the Provincial government could use the money for something else (health care related)

The Government of Canada cannot tell the Provinces what they have to cover

The Feds can't unilaterally impose something on the provinces, but if they can get most of the provinces on board with expanding coverage, then suddenly the others are bound (or certainly pressured) by the principles in the Health Act to expand their coverage.

Moreover, the first point assumes the NDP is politically stupid. No federal government is going to gift money to the provinces without a strategy to ensure those provinces comply with the intergovernment regulations.

Last edited:

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
fsI7uI1.jpg

Friday is Pho day at Mai Lan!

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Any of you have done photography in Gatineau Park. Might head out there tomorrow and would like to know if there's some better trails for sightseeing-photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad