Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Tell it to Krieger, ass.

627.jpg

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Alright, first day as a mod and I'm bailing for a day trip to Jakarta. Planned for a week now. I can finally buy things! Regular things! Regular malls, instead of dirty kiosks that only sell clothes in S and XS sizes!

Adios, loungers!

Silvercup Returns

King Karlsson
Jul 28, 2005
Ottawa
Hello from beautiful Nashville, Tennessee... Where my heart will always live and my dreams always come true.

Yes, I'm having a good time. Amazing time. Just took a major professional step.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Hello from beautiful Nashville, Tennessee... Where my heart will always live and my dreams always come true.

Yes, I'm having a good time. Amazing time. Just took a major professional step.

Tell Carrie Underwood that the guy who went behind her in communion and sniffed her at a church in Stittsville says hello. :)

TheOriginalSilf*

It's even creepier when you hear him literally speak those words. :laugh:

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Had to take my kitty into the vet today. He has a really bad ear mite infestation and his ear lobe(?) was filling with blood and pus. Anyways, he had to have a procedure done on him to properly heal him and then he'll be all fine.

****er cost me $500.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yeah so I had no idea where to post this.. So I'm bringing it here. Not sure if this has been posted already, but I stumbled across this little video of Colin Greening. Its ****ing hilarious.

edit: First appearance at 0:16

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
SLACKER.

Have fun! Buy a guitar. Just because.

I bought some white t-shirts, salsa, and booze. Especially booze.
(and some stuff for the kids, of course, but those three things were on my own personal list)

Liquor is crazy-taxed here. It's one step away from being illegal... a bottle of wine is about $40, and a bottle of Vodka is anywhere from $75-100. They price it that high in order to effectively remove any chance of the "average Indonesian" from ever even having the means to buy it. I mean, you can rent a slummy house (shack?) in my city for like $400/yr. When a bottle of vodka is 3 months rent, people tend to shy away, haha.

The trick is that in Jakarta (and only Jakarta), they have these "duty free" shops where they sell nothing but liquor. Technically, the only people allowed to shop at these places are diplomats, but because the entire country is corrupt as hell, the stores usually pay off the customs officials assigned to their district, and sell liquor at duty free prices (roughly the same prices as back home, with an extra 10-15% tagged on as the "customs fee") to anyone with the money who can be trusted not to squeal.

So you can get alcohol here, but it's quite the hassle to go. Basically my closest "liquor store" is an hour away, and the selection is awful (they always have the most random stuff, and there's never any guarantee that they'll even carry the type of liquor you're looking for). I've also never once seen any duty free shop carry port, ever, which is disappointing. I love port. Miss it.

The salsa, though: amazing. Pace "Thick N' Chunky". I haven't seen a bottle of that anywhere since I got to Indonesia. You gotta appreciate the little things, you know? Little things like good salsa.

Last edited:

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
I bought some white t-shirts, salsa, and booze. Especially booze.
(and some stuff for the kids, of course, but those three things were on my own personal list)

Liquor is crazy-taxed here. It's one step away from being illegal... a bottle of wine is about $40, and a bottle of Vodka is anywhere from $75-100. They price it that high in order to effectively remove any chance of the "average Indonesian" from ever even having the means to buy it. I mean, you can rent a slummy house (shack?) in my city for like $400/yr. When a bottle of vodka is 3 months rent, people tend to shy away, haha.

The trick is that in Jakarta (and only Jakarta), they have these "duty free" shops where they sell nothing but liquor. Technically, the only people allowed to shop at these places are diplomats, but because the entire country is corrupt as hell, the stores usually pay off the customs officials assigned to their district, and sell liquor at duty free prices (roughly the same prices as back home, with an extra 10-15% tagged on as the "customs fee") to anyone with the money who can be trusted not to squeal.

So you can get alcohol here, but it's quite the hassle to go. Basically my closest "liquor store" is an hour away, and the selection is awful (they always have the most random stuff, and there's never any guarantee that they'll even carry the type of liquor you're looking for). I've also never once seen any duty free shop carry port, ever, which is disappointing. I love port. Miss it.

The salsa, though: amazing. Pace "Thick N' Chunky". I haven't seen a bottle of that anywhere since I got to Indonesia. You gotta appreciate the little things, you know? Little things like good salsa.

Sounds a lot like the LCBO.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Sounds a lot like the LCBO.

The worst LCBO in the country is a thousand times better than the best liquor store in Indonesia. I have no idea why people rag on the LCBO: the good LCBOs are the best liquor stores I've ever been to, anywhere on earth (except for the Duty Free shop in the Singapore airport).

Like, seriously: imagine going to an LCBO, and them being out of stock of Vodka. Not your favorite brand of vodka, mind you: any vodka whatsoever.

Today they were out of: vermouth, rum and champagne. Like, completely out. Not a single bottle. White OR dark rum. In any brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad