Post-Game Talk: Sens lose, 4-3 in OT to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This forum and the media has tried to paint the picture that 1) DJ doesn’t know what he’s doing by not playing the kids and 2) Arti is slow

In reality the kid is the initial element of this breakdown. Nothing wrong with the learning experience the but mob needs to turn the volume down.
Good to see you've locked on.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
This forum and the media has tried to paint the picture that 1) DJ doesn’t know what he’s doing by not playing the kids and 2) Arti is slow

In reality the kid is the initial element of this breakdown. Nothing wrong with the learning experience but the mob needs to turn the volume down.
The media has been very kind to the Ottawa Senators for years. DJ must have really screwed up if the media is on him.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The media has been very kind to the Ottawa Senators for years. DJ must have really screwed up if the media is on him.

I don’t think so ? They are just (blindly) asking if he will play the kids more because they don’t get that it was a kid who started the breakdown.

Everyone hammering that line of thought doesn’t get that DJ knows the kid made a mistake but hes protecting Batherson by not addressing it. Everyone is fired up watching the slow back check of Arti but they don’t see or understand the breakdown. DJ is letting everyone blast him and Arti while protecting Bath. I can guarantee that Bath has been told where he made the error in judgment.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
you made those comments not me.

i wouldn't say that it's me being correct, more you being wrong.
Anisimov needs to stick with his man in that scenario. You're wrong on this one. 3 on 3 is man to man when you are tight with a player that has or just had the puck. He has to atleast look before he turns off the puck. Batherson could have had better positioning but the majority of the blame goes to 51.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Anisimov needs to stick with his man in that scenario. You're wrong on this one. 3 on 3 is man to man when you are tight with a player that has or just had the puck. He has to atleast look before he turns off the puck. Batherson could have had better positioning but the majority of the blame goes to 51.

Facepalm

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Everyone hammering that line of thought doesn’t get that DJ knows the kid made a mistake but hes protecting Batherson by not addressing it. Everyone is fired up watching the slow back check of Arti but they don’t see or understand the breakdown. DJ is letting everyone blast him and Arti while protecting Bath. I can guarantee that Bath has been told where he made the error in judgment.
OK there..

The mental gymnastics and spin required to protect everything and anything this team does wrong is just crazy. It must be exhausting. Seems to me that the media has finally gotten tired of it.

Reactions: bert

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
OK there..

The mental gymnastics and spin required to protect everything and anything this team does wrong is just crazy. It must be exhausting. Seems to me that the media has finally gotten tired of it.

It’s not exhausting - it’s an Eye roll every time someone complains about Arti not covering Ehlers -

It’s the same eye roll when someone says Wolanin is this teams 2ND best D, the Sens should keep EK, claims Brown#3 sucks, or Colin White should be this teams 3C.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Man if I was a player, I’ll be pretty discouraged to see my coach be this f***ing stupid.

Pretty obvious your not a player - His players know who he protected and one in particular is extremely grateful that his coach is wearing this dumb fan abuse for him.

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
DJ's quote was about the "young mistakes" in the last 5 minutes of the game and not how screwed up in overtime. Why are we widening the goalposts so much to make this about protecting Batherson?

DJ's quote was dumb and it was pointed out countless times by many in here and many in the media. BT seemed to even go out of his way yesterday to say that he wants to be on the ice to protect a lead. Having Paquette out there so much to protect the lead was stupid, especially when he has been the worst player on the ice for three games now. Im not even sure how people can defend this.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
DJ's quote was about the "young mistakes" in the last 5 minutes of the game and not how screwed up in overtime. Why are we widening the goalposts so much to make this about protecting Batherson?

DJ's quote was dumb and it was pointed out countless times by many in here and many in the media.

Ya - that mob doesn’t get that he doesn’t drag his players, especially the kids, through the mud in public. He doesn’t answer the questions the way he feels. He deflects some and stands in the way of others.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Ya - that mob doesn’t get that he doesn’t drag his players, especially the kids, through the mud in public. He doesn’t answer the questions the way he feels. He deflects some and stands in the way of others.
What aren't you understanding here? He blamed it on "young mistakes", which means he blamed his YOUNG PLAYERS, when they weren't even on the ice to protect the lead. So yes, DJ DRAGGED HIS PLAYERS, the only problem was he dragged the wrong ones, he dragged the ones who have a future with this organization, while guys like Paquette, Watson, Anisimov, etc, keep getting a free pass. Bringing Batherson into the argument because of the OT goal against in widening the goalposts a ton here.

Its ok, nobody is perfect, even Dorion and DJ can make mistakes some times whether you believe it or not. In this case, DJ Smith screwed up.

Reactions: Viletho

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
I'm not going to get in the mind of DJ or anyone for that matter.. but can't old people make "young mistakes"? My opinion is yes.

I have no idea what he meant, only he knows, but it certainly is a possibility that he was alluding to those veteran players who were on the ice late as the ones who made "young mistakes".

I doubt it, but it's possible.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm not going to get in the mind of DJ or anyone for that matter.. but can't old people make "young mistakes"? My opinion is yes.

I have no idea what he meant, only he knows, but it certainly is a possibility that he was alluding to those veteran players who were on the ice late as the ones who made "young mistakes".

Absolutely, "young mistakes" can be made by anyone.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What aren't you understanding here? He blamed it on "young mistakes", which means he blamed his YOUNG PLAYERS, when they weren't even on the ice to protect the lead. So yes, DJ DRAGGED HIS PLAYERS, the only problem was he dragged the wrong ones, he dragged the ones who have a future with this organization, while guys like Paquette, Watson, Anisimov, etc, keep getting a free pass. Bringing Batherson into the argument because of the OT goal against in widening the goalposts a ton here.

Its ok, nobody is perfect, even Dorion and DJ can make mistakes some times whether you believe it or not. In this case, DJ Smith screwed up.

Batherson made or at least started the series of mistakes that led to the goal. He didn't slam Arti because he wouldn't really think it was Arti's role to catch Ehlers.

DJ mentioned the young mistakes early in his interview and than distanced himself from it. He has since fielded 100 questions about wether he play young players over Arti etc. What he hasn't done is tell everyone .. Look ... the young kid made brutal mistake too. He's let the mob continue to scream about playing old vs young making it feel like it was some type of "coaching mistake" as he deflects the criticism away from Bath.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018

I have understand that in young mistake , he meen we are at the start of the season and guys gonna learn in the processing of the season

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

I agree with this. But yesterday a comment open by Pierre Mcguire made me wonder.

He was asked about that particular question/answer and in Pierre Mcguire's fashion to not really answering the question, he said : DJ maybe meant by "young mistake" that his team is young in the sense that there are a lot of new players on this team. So young in the sense of team chemistry.

If that's what he meant.. It would be very poor way of saying it. So my guess is that he really meant Young mistake in the sense of young player making mistake.

Also yesterday DJ was asked if by young mistake he could also insert himself in it because he is relatively a new coach ans he said Yes.

Maybe he did reflect on his way to say things

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The forum is painting the picture that anisimov is slow. Cmon lol

Anisimov started his shift skating well... he can use his edges through the neutral zone to be somewhat effective in transition and entries. But he ran out of gas really quickly, and couldn't close a very closeable gap as a result. His positioning would have been passable if he was a better skater, but his straight line speed, especially after the tank is a bit depleted, is really terrible.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Personally I see it as a pre-made excuse "we are a young team so we'll make young mistakes"

I dunno, maybe he sees a guy like Connor Brown as "young"? An average NHL career is 5 years and this is Connor's 5th season so I have no idea how Dj sees all this actually.

Of course, I could be wrong as this is not factual/objective but I'd say it's pretty likely.

Amazing how people want one person to blame and will lock in on it. Neither guy played it well, Batherson wasn't well positioned to do much good and as you said, Anisimov had finished his swing and should have stuck with Ehlers.

Batherson will learn with experience and Anisimov shouldn't be used 3 on 3 anyways so whatever.

I was going to say that, and even add that everyone on the ice deserved some blame here. You can allocate more % for some player(s) but in the end, they all played it poorly. Matt Murray didn't really "played it poorly" but that was a moment where you need a key save. Chabot was disappointing on the play, more busy telling others what is going wrong. He should have focused on making it harder for Copp to get the pass across.

And the guy behind the bench as well.

I agree with this. But yesterday a comment open by Pierre Mcguire made me wonder.

He was asked about that particular question/answer and in Pierre Mcguire's fashion to not really answering the question, he said : DJ maybe meant by "young mistake" that his team is young in the sense that there are a lot of new players on this team. So young in the sense of team chemistry.

If that's what he meant.. It would be very poor way of saying it. So my guess is that he really meant Young mistake in the sense of young player making mistake.

Also yesterday DJ was asked if by young mistake he could also insert himself in it because he is relatively a new coach ans he said Yes.

Maybe he did reflect on his way to say things

So DJ would be the kind of guy that says in an airport :

"hey man, I unleashed a bomb!"

Instead of "I farted" :laugh:

Last edited:

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Batherson is supposed to attack/shadow the puck there, Anisimov had completed his swing, he should be heading high with Batherson attacking the puck. Anisimov is with Ehlers, not Morrisey, the guy skating toward the puck (Batherson) is the guy on the puck carrier, the guy skating toward the neutral zone (Anisimov) is the guy that should be high.

Wouldn't it make sense for Arti to attack Morrisey since he's already down there.. like five feet away from him? Batherson is up high in the zone.. about thirty feet away. IMO, Batherson, after taking his shot, should've immediately cleared out of the zone and gotten back on defense...but that's just my opinion.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Batherson made or at least started the series of mistakes that led to the goal. He didn't slam Arti because he wouldn't really think it was Arti's role to catch Ehlers.

DJ mentioned the young mistakes early in his interview and than distanced himself from it. He has since fielded 100 questions about wether he play young players over Arti etc. What he hasn't done is tell everyone .. Look ... the young kid made brutal mistake too. He's let the mob continue to scream about playing old vs young making it feel like it was some type of "coaching mistake" as he deflects the criticism away from Bath.
His quote was never about OT, what are you missing here?? He played a bunch of old players in the final 5 minutes to protect a lead and then blamed it on "young mistakes". He screwed up. Is ok to say it. Continually widening the goalposts is not a gonna win you this argument.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
His quote was never about OT, what are you missing here?? He played a bunch of old players in the final 5 minutes to protect a lead and then blamed it on "young mistakes". He screwed up. Is ok to say it. Continually widening the goalposts is not a gonna win you this argument.

What mistake did he make ? You think it’s black and white that the old guys failed the team and DJ blamed the loss on “young mistakes” that didn’t occur ? Is that what you see saying ?

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I have understand that in young mistake , he meen we are at the start of the season and guys gonna learn in the processing of the season

That's the thing. If he meant that, why not say it the way you just said it.

"We have made young mistake as a team because we are still learning to play together"

That being said, I understand that it is easy to say from my house. I'm not under the microscope having to answer media question after a lose.

Reactions: Crosside

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Wouldn't it make sense for Arti to attack Morrisey since he's already down there.. like five feet away from him? Batherson is up high in the zone.. about thirty feet away. IMO, Batherson, after taking his shot, should've immediately cleared out of the zone and gotten back on defense...but that's just my opinion.
No, because he's skating in the opposite direction with Ehlers. We see the same thing on PK's where the high guy becomes the attacking forward after the attacking forward reverses back on his swing to become the high guy.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad