Sens, Leafs and Wild 48hr buyout period - Opens Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I doubt he buys out Colin. Honestly, as much as he was useless this past season, if he can have a slight return to form he could very well be our best 4th line LW option. When Greening is on, he's a pretty good 4th liner. I think he definitely stopped working like he used to or as is necessary for a player like him, but I think that last year must have motivated him to really put in an effort to be a true player again.

If we buy him out this year, its a 4mil buyout in salary. If he bounces back next year, we trade him or who knows, maybe let him ride out his contract. If he doesn't, we buy him out next year at 2.1 in salary with cap hits of .5 and 1.0, and in that case they'd pay out 4.8 over the two years. Just seems to be the more sensical way to proceed, and I suspect that's how theyre approaching it.

Buying out Greening serves almost zero purpose from a money perspective. Actual cap hits are irrelevant to Ottawa right now.

Greening makes about 6M over the next two seasons, a buyout supposedly saves 2M, but then when you consider a replacement 14th forward will cost between 1.2M to 2M over those two seasons, there are very little savings. His contract is at the sweet spot where a buyout+replacement player costs the same as not buying him out at all.

I think a more likely scenario is that if there are diehard budget concerns the Senators move someone they don't want to move like Michalek which would clear significant salary.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So.....can we just give Greening another 20k....then buy him out?

I mean crap, would the NHL really have such a big quibble over a contract difference that's 15k lower than the buyout window?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So.....can we just give Greening another 20k....then buy him out?

I mean crap, would the NHL really have such a big quibble over a contract difference that's 15k lower than the buyout window?

*Greening walks into Murrays office

Murray: Hey Greening, thanks for coming in today
Greening: Anytime, why did you want to see me?
Murray: Well i have some good news for you
Greening: What is the good news?
Murray: Being that you are such a good sport lately even though you have mostly been a healthy scratch, I to the goodness of my heart have decided to add an additional 20K to your original contract.
Greening: Wow, thanks.
Murray: All i need you to do is sign here to make it official
*Greening signs it
Murray: Thanks for the signature.
Greening: Your welcome. Anything else?
Murray: Yes, we are now buying you out. Have a nice day and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Greening:****

I will show myself out now.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Seeing as how the window closed and nothing happened, I think we can close this thread now too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad