Post-Game Talk: Sens in the Windy City (Chicago), Tues 8:30 pm

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
How exactly? He was largely responsible for two goals against and Condon saved his bacon on the penalty shot. He made a couple of nice plays I guess, so that equals a great game in your opinion?

He looked rock solid in his own end defensively, good positioning for a goal. Involved in every play. That penalty shouldn't have been a penalty shot, instead it should have been a good penalty to take. Phaneuf is a much needed presence in this team, and he is a big reason we are where we are in terms of goals against vs last year.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Me too. Or at least a pretty good game. The penalty shot was a terrible crap call. The chicago player held him to advantage for cripes sakes. He drew a penalty He scored a goal. Lucky bounces off him are not really his fault.

And the odd play where they scored on him was actually truly offside because he held the line so hard and it was ruled to not be possible to tell that it was offside. But the view from overhead said it was off side.

Even if it was offside by the slightest of margins, that was a bonehead play by Phaneuf. Ceci has that side of the ice, and Lazar is coming back on the side too. For Phaneuf to jump up there, leaving his side completely open was silly. This is where his lack of hockey IQ hurts him sometimes. He's not a dumb player, just not a smart one, either. He was caught on pinches like this with Toronto too, trying to make a big play when the simple one is what is needed.

As a whole Phaneuf has been good this year, he does a great job annoying the heck out of star forwards on other teams, but he was just okay for me last night, too many bad/questionable plays for me to say he had a great game.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Phaneuf gets those calls against him because he can't move his friggen feet. the guys is just SO slow and that's why refs are more willing to give him the penalty.

I agree that he's been decent the last little while, but having him at the blue line on the power play scares the **** out of me for the exact reason we saw last night. If he takes a pass and it bobbles over his stick and he has to race against the pk point man for the other team he's going to lose every time.

he's much better suited on the pp to be the guy at the front of the net clearing bodies and trying to get tips.

The non call on holding the stick and subsequent penalty shot was pretty inexcusable though.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The non call on holding the stick and subsequent penalty shot was pretty inexcusable though.

Penalty shots are pretty subjective. Here's the five criteria that are supposed to be met, according to the Rule Book. (This hasn't changed in years, BTW)

1. The player must be in possession and control of the puck. The key word here is control. For example, a player who shoots the puck slightly ahead in a controlled manner in order to skate faster is still considered in possession and control of the puck whereas a player who is trying to dig the puck out from between his skates while he is moving may not be considered to have enough control.
2. The player must be beyond his/her defending blueline.
3. There is no opponent present between the player and the opposing goalkeeper. (Note, the opposing defensemen does not have to be directly in the player’s path but simply between the player and the opposing goalkeeper.)
4. The player must be fouled directly from behind. an opponent who has an angle on the breakaway player and commits the foul from the side should be penalized, but no penalty shot shall be awarded.
5. The player must have been deprived of a reasonable scoring opportunity. (Note, a player who still has a reasonable scoring opportunity, even though fouled from behind, should not be awarded a penalty shot.)

Did that one qualify? I would argue that number four was clearly NOT met, as Phaneuf was at his side. Still, the officials were all told a few years ago that they were far too reluctant to award penalty shots. This was actually true - you saw plenty of instances where guys got wrecked from behind but the official didn't want to award a penalty shot in a tight game. Now I would argue that the pendulum has swung too far the other way - I've seen worse penalty shots awarded than that one last night, believe it or not...

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I have to admit that I thought that Condon was going to fold on the penalty shot. I'm relieved that he made the save.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Probably my favourite game this season.

It felt like EVERYONE was putting in work.

Yip. I would say it was our best game of the season overall. The score doesn't really reflect how well we played. 2 of the 3 goals were lucky bounces, and the refs made a huge difference in the 3rd.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Statement game. Methot was outstanding. If they can bottle the will power, they will climb the mountain into a contender quite nicely. Couple more players and we're an impact team again.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Statement game. Methot was outstanding. If they can bottle the will power, they will climb the mountain into a contender quite nicely. Couple more players and we're an impact team again.

Would love to have 3RW and an upgrade on LD. I'm thinking Jagr and Seidenberg at trade deadline.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Hoffman-Turris-Ryan
Smith-Brassard-Stone
MacArthur-Pageau-Jagr
Dzingel-Lazar-Pyatt

Lol... Deep as ****.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hoffman-Turris-Ryan
Smith-Brassard-Stone
MacArthur-Pageau-Jagr
Dzingel-Lazar-Pyatt

Lol... Deep as ****.

IMO one would put Dzingel with Jagr. Dzingel's vision and speed with Jagr could be beautiful. A la Huberdeau with FLA.

We could try:

Hoffman-Turris-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Stone
Dzingel-Brassard-Jagr
MacArthur-Lazar-Pyatt

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Getting a notable name at the deadline would be great feeling. I have a hard time reading Melnyk though...most of the fans think he's cheap and won't spend...but I dunno what to think. He SOUNDS like he wants to win, but our salary cap says otherwise.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
IMO one would put Dzingel with Jagr. Dzingel's vision and speed with Jagr could be beautiful. A la Huberdeau with FLA.

We could try:

Hoffman-Turris-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Stone
Dzingel-Brassard-Jagr
MacArthur-Lazar-Pyatt

Nice and all but how realistic would it be to scratch Kelly and in particular Neil from the lineup? I don't think I ever remember Neil being scratched in recent memory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad