Sens hire Jim Little as CEO and now he's fired...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Did anyone else find it weird that he referred to Melnyk as "the owner"? It seems his mission is to completely eliminate Melnyk from the picture, and that was probably part of the contract that he signed. I wouldn't be surprised that there is an out clause if Melnyk engages the media without running it by him, type of thing

The interview I saw had him calling Melnyk "Eugene". That scored some points with me. The whole "Mr.Melnyk" that Dorion goes with makes him sound like the world's biggest brown-noser.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Kinda weird that every media outlet in the city has talked about Little's media tour, yet in the Sun/Citizen there is nothing. It really doesn't matter since the word is out there, but you would think that Garrioch/Warren would be all over this. I guess writing an article discussing the interview could potentially mean a little jab at the owner, which we know won't happen with Garrioch and Warren has already had his wrists slapped, so maybe that's why.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Why does commitment have to be obligated with forking out money to attend games?

You can still support the team and not pay to attend games.

I don't know if you go to games or not, but this following argument is in general and does not relate to you, or anyone here, in particular.

That is not how it works, unfortunately. I know in Ottawa, that has worked really well in this freebie-craving town, but a business model will not work without fan support. Ah ah ah, the Melnyk haters will say, if the "product" is not good then why should fans blah blah blah argument... professional sports is unlike any other business model and has no true comparison. Find me another business model that is remotely comparable.

Does this mean everyone has to go and get a 41 game pack? No. But going once a year is a start. Ottawa has enough people in this city that fans going to a game or two would do wonders. The disposable income is there. People who are claiming to be fans are clearly profiting from the Melnyk argument to not support the team, save their loonies, but in the end they have turned themselves into the dreaded bandwagon fan

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The interview I saw had him calling Melnyk "Eugene". That scored some points with me. The whole "Mr.Melnyk" that Dorion goes with makes him sound like the world's biggest brown-noser.
The TSN1200 one , he said "the owner" which was really odd. But I liked it.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
When people spend a couple of hundred bucks at a sporting event, where the outcome is not determined, that is the risk. Nothing new there. A good time only takes you so far, witness the RedBlacks this season. It is about the sport. The passion. The love of the game and the pride of your city beating another city's team.

Yes, to many in the sports world, you stick with your team through the good times and the bad. Or else you become a bandwagon fan. This is where this common argument always falls apart...

Every business, whether sport or industrial, entertainment, financial, real estate, is for profit. Not sure why sports is any different.

I think people want to feel a apart of something. The growing excitement at the emergence of Daigle, Yashin, Alfredsson, Bonk, Phillips, Hossa, Havlat, Spezza, etc...was exciting. People do care about the journey of the young players. It isn't as black and white as you make it to be. Or as cynical or clinical.

Many share your opinion, but it speaks to their apathy and lack of commitment, more than anything. I find many of these arguments to be intellectually dishonest, and really don't belong in a team page, to be honest. It is counter fan intuitive , as there is no "fan" atical aspect to this type of makeup of people who are supposed to be supporters of a team.

Jim Little is the perfect guy to

1. Knock on doors in the business area. Most of these companies, that is all they really want. They want to see the organization value their financial commitment, and expect that commitment to be reflected in their tickets, entertainment, and service. Ottawa has a lot of disjointed and jilted fans. I don't think with Jim Little involved that it will not be too difficult to re-energize the corporate community.

2. Be creative in rebranding and marketing this team, and I think he will get the players to buy in and focus on American-style promotions

3. Be the face of the franchise. He is stylish, well spoken, and well respected in his circles and now he needs to project this image to the rest of the NHL as Eugene slithers away in the background

The "die-hard" fans care about the emergence of young players. Casual fans don't. In Ottawa, there aren't nearly enough die-hards to fill a 19,000 seat stadium 41 times a year. The majority of Ottawa has no idea who Josh Norris, Erik Brannstrom or Logan Brown are. If they come in and contend for ROY (like Havlat and Yashin did) or the Norris (like Karlsson did), people will take notice. Success in the AHL? That isn't going to do it. Most of the pieces that we're supposed to be "excited" about aren't on the team yet (we haven't even drafted two of them).

Casual fans will come back when games become the "place to be", whether it's because the team is on a roll (like the Hamburgler run) or it becomes more of a social event (like RedBlacks games). Right now, the Sens have neither thing going for them.

For companies, they'll buy back in when employees and clients star valuing tickets. Right now, they don't, because of what I mentioned above. I work at a tech company downtown, and earlier this season, a Senators sales rep dropped off 25 free tickets. We were able to give away 7 of them. That speaks volumes.

It'll take more than just shaking hands to get back to corporate base.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rand0m and coladin

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don’t have a problem with the ticket prices currently but paying 15 dollars plus tip for a beer is a bit absurd.

They said in the article they’re going to try and reduce concessions on beer cuz they fully know they’re slaughtering us on in that area

So back when I was your age, i was in on a quarter season package at the civic center. We used to hit the pub right from work, start drinking, drink all game, usually hit the pub after and then cab it home. And it really wasn't that expensive. Not much different than a regular night out. Today it's crazy and the location only adds to the cost

Reactions: InTkachukWeTrust

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Same goes for one of the most vocal posters on here when it comes to fan shaming ;)

I dont really get into the good fan bad fan debate, although i certainly challenge certain takes frequently

But not getting more of my money when he likely wasn't getting any in the first place from an out of town guy...come on

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I dont really get into the good fan bad fan debate, although i certainly challenge certain takes frequently

But not getting more of my money when he likely wasn't getting any in the first place from an out of town guy...come on
Without knowing any details about what the original poster spends on, there are other ways to support financially.

The thing that irks me is people who are out of town that shame fans that do live in the city who choose not to go to games, whatever their reason may be

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
So back when I was your age, i was in on a quarter season package at the civic center. We used to hit the pub right from work, start drinking, drink all game, usually hit the pub after and then cab it home. And it really wasn't that expensive. Not much different than a regular night out. Today it's crazy and the location only adds to the cost

That’s the thing! You could hit the pub before hand, get a bit of a buzz which would save you money at the game. I can probably bet you live in the area too

Not once have I ever gone to a bar in Kanata before hand and I can only name 1, crazy horse.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Why does commitment have to be obligated with forking out money to attend games?

You can still support the team and not pay to attend games.

So i don't want to go into this fan shaming thing and im not intending to shame in saying that there is a difference between a customer and a fan. Sports is a business. What the Sens have lost is customers moreso than fans

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I don't know if you go to games or not, but this following argument is in general and does not relate to you, or anyone here, in particular.

That is not how it works, unfortunately. I know in Ottawa, that has worked really well in this freebie-craving town, but a business model will not work without fan support. Ah ah ah, the Melnyk haters will say, if the "product" is not good then why should fans blah blah blah argument... professional sports is unlike any other business model and has no true comparison. Find me another business model that is remotely comparable.

Does this mean everyone has to go and get a 41 game pack? No. But going once a year is a start. Ottawa has enough people in this city that fans going to a game or two would do wonders. The disposable income is there. People who are claiming to be fans are clearly profiting from the Melnyk argument to not support the team, save their loonies, but in the end they have turned themselves into the dreaded bandwagon fan

Can you point me in the direction of data suggesting that Ottawa is more of a "freebie-craving" town than other towns?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That’s the thing! You could hit the pub before hand, get a bit of a buzz which would save you money at the game. I can probably bet you live in the area too

Not once have I ever gone to a bar in Kanata before hand and I can only name 1, crazy horse.

We usually left from downtown, walked to the game, stopped at a couple bars on the way for a pint at each, then the cab ride home was less than 10 bucks....and i was with my roomie so it was 5 bucks each which inculded the tip!!!!

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

When this organization does something to show people that they ship is turned in the right direction, maybe people will start going once a year. But, yawn, bad fan, right?

Little's PR speech yesterday did wonders, now we have to see how much Eugene Melnyk is ready to commit to Little's plan. If he becomes yet another high profile executive to quit before even working a year for the organization, it just shows that nothing has changed.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
When this organization does something to show people that they ship is turned in the right direction, maybe people will start going once a year. But, yawn, bad fan, right?

Little's PR speech yesterday did wonders, now we have to see how much Eugene Melnyk is ready to commit to Little's plan. If he becomes yet another high profile executive to quit before even working a year for the organization, it just shows that nothing has changed.

This, to me, is the crux. Is this the beginning of a new era, or is this the beginning of the end? A CEO that is the "face of the franchise" quitting after a short period of time could be a massive and decisive blow to the already shaky credibility of the franchise.

Reactions: BatherSeason

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
This, to me, is the crux. Is this the beginning of a new era, or is this the beginning of the end? A CEO that is the "face of the franchise" quitting after a short period of time could be a massive and decisive blow to the already shaky credibility of the franchise.

You mean again? The words get us all a bit excited but most of us realize that to put our fears to rest were gonna need to see this team string long term tangible positives together at a consistent rate, and frankly some actual real money starting to be spent...until that time comes they will continue to be scrutinized at every move as they should, they earned the cheap label 100% and it is very clearly founded in reality, it was tough to gain and will be tougher to shed!

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
You mean again? The words get us all a bit excited but most of us realize that to put our fears to rest were gonna need to see this team string long term tangible positives together at a consistent rate, and frankly some actual real money starting to be spent...until that time comes they will continue to be scrutinized at every move as they should, they earned the cheap label 100% and it is very clearly founded in reality, it was tough to gain and will be tougher to shed!

The team is always going to be cheap under Melnyk, period. But there's a a difference between cheap and embarrassingly cheap. Also, a team can be cheap and not be a circus show with elephants and endangered lions jumping through fiery rings (see Carolina).

Little can bring some much needed structure and stability to the team, but I would completely agree with the necessity for "long-term tangible positives". Or, he could quit or be fired within the next six months. Neither would surprise me.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Did anyone else find it weird that he referred to Melnyk as "the owner"? It seems his mission is to completely eliminate Melnyk from the picture, and that was probably part of the contract that he signed. I wouldn't be surprised that there is an out clause if Melnyk engages the media without running it by him, type of thing

Doesn’t he call him Mister Melnyk In other interviews?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
For any conspiracy theorists out Jim Little was a VP at Bombardier while André Desmarais was on the Board Of Directors, I believe they also spent time together on the board of a Montreal hospital.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The team is always going to be cheap under Melnyk, period. But there's a a difference between cheap and embarrassingly cheap. Also, a team can be cheap and not be a circus show with elephants and endangered lions jumping through fiery rings (see Carolina).

Little can bring some much needed structure and stability to the team, but I would completely agree with the necessity for "long-term tangible positives". Or, he could quit or be fired within the next six months. Neither would surprise me.

Agreed, I certainly arguments that there is benefits to being a cost conscience team...not for a truly cheap team like we have been but being very cost conscience, while it likely puts you out for competing for big time contracts, it likely saves you from these same contracts when the player inevitably goes sideways in certain cases.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
But this can't go both ways.

Personally i am with you. I go to watch hockey. But there have been guys on here commenting on in game experience forever and it needing to be improved.
Oh for sure, that's why I said I may not be part of the customer base that needs to be targeted. Maybe I should be?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I can’t wait for 3 things as a Sens fan.

1. I can’t wait to start watching and cheering for wins and player success.

2. I can’t wait for our arguments around here to be about hockey games and decisions.

3. I can’t wait to see see the city energized by a spring playoff series.

Reactions: coladin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad