Sens hire Jim Little as CEO and now he's fired...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
there is only one Marketing strategy in Pro sports..Winning. Unless you are in some insanely large metropolitan area like, Toronto, New York, Chicago, you better win. Win and fans will beat a path to your door. Remember we all use the word, we...Really what position do we play? we don't.

We say we, because it is our tribe, our clan, our army, etc.. WE need them to win, to win for us. So that we may stand and tell the world, stick it. And when they do, WE will reward them with our butts in the seats and our dollars.

Little can talk to all end. Eugene Melnyk can fall on his sword until we are all in tears, it will not help.

There is one key man/group of people who hold the solution...Dorion and the hockey (tiny group) OPs. Draft well, develop well, get this team turned around, make the playoffs, ascend to a top 10 team and watch.

If the team is still in the bottom 5-10 over the next 2 years, another thread will appear on here about a new person in charge.
i sound like im talking out of my ass but there was an article not long ago about attendance and winning, and to be fair I think it was in soccer. and there was not much evidence to suggest winning would increase attendance.

We had trouble selling out when we were a legitimate juggernaut.. and I know its overblown, but we struggled to sell out in the playoffs as well not long ago.... in a city like Ottawa the only way to sellout is to make people think theyre getting something for free... and also probably have the games finish at 8:30

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
i sound like im talking out of my ass but there was an article not long ago about attendance and winning, and to be fair I think it was in soccer. and there was not much evidence to suggest winning would increase attendance.

We had trouble selling out when we were a legitimate juggernaut.. and I know its overblown, but we struggled to sell out in the playoffs as well not long ago.... in a city like Ottawa the only way to sellout is to make people think theyre getting something for free... and also probably have the games finish at 8:30

They were 5th in the league in attendance in 2005-06, 2006-07, and were 3rd in the league in attendance in 2007-08.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Nice try Bert, he was obviously talking about branding and marketing, not hockey ops like you keep going on about, and mentions that PD has a clear plan.

Anyways, that was a great interview that inspires confidence in and of itself. I love how this guy is now in charge of the team, and is being ‘required’ to be the face of the team. That to me means that EM recognizes that he has to step away from being that entirely.

It’s one of the nice things about being stripped to the studs as Little says, if the right people are in place the build can be really exciting in and of itself!

Where did I mention Dorion in my post? I directly quoted what Jim Little had to say. What you are allowed to get away with on here is unbelievable. Bring something to the equasion please. You never discuss anything but ownership related conversations. There is never anything productive, like discussing prospects, or what happened in the games. 0 tangible contributions but starting flame wars.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
It was mentioned a little while back, can only speak for myself but winning isn't a big concern for me when deciding to attend games, I understand how hard it is to win in the league and even when you do everything right, you still need a massive amount of luck, I won't speak for anyone else but imagine many feel the same, the minute I feel lied to or mislead or any general dishonesty from any company im looking deeper into the problem, if said problem is valid and persists, im moving towards not using the product or service anymore, that is how I have felt with the Senators over the last 4 or 5 years and is why I personally don't attend games. If they gave an honest effort from top to bottom they could generally go 0-82 every year and I wouldn't mind.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He took responsibility on behalf of the organization for the attendance issues. Acknowledged that this is a problem that they created by themselves. First time ANYONE from the org has acknowledged their responsibility in this. Now, lets just stop blaming the fans for the attendance mess and start to figure out how, as a business, they can win those fans back.

But he didn't blame the fans? :sarcasm:

So. Why would he?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
In the interview he talked about making the fan experience "fun". The word "fun" came up a lot. He mentioned "music" a lot. I don't go to the game for the music. If anything, I go there despite the music and all the cheesy family-oriented stuff. I just want to see a good quality hockey game. If the hockey is good, that's all the excitement I need.

He's a marketing guy, he surely knows which customer base he needs to bring back, and what that base wants. I guess I'm not part of that base.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
In the interview he talked about making the fan experience "fun". The word "fun" came up a lot. He mentioned "music" a lot. I don't go to the game for the music. If anything, I go there despite the music and all the cheesy family-oriented stuff. I just want to see a good quality hockey game. If the hockey is good, that's all the excitement I need.

He's a marketing guy, he surely knows which customer base he needs to bring back, and what that base wants. I guess I'm not part of that base.

Family fun sells tickets. The music is trying to be like the NBA. It’s nothing new. I think the biggest thing Little Jim has to do is sway the fickle fans in the right direction.

The big steps will be in the Re-brand year. A new connection with the community. Hopefully some renewed dialogue with the city to get more support for future endeavours. He clearly knows how to, and will build back the missing corporate support.

This CEO is what this organization has been lacking for far too long

Great speaker.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

We care about the on-ice product so the people marketing to us are the GM and coaching staff ;)

Reactions: DrEasy

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It almost sounds like Eugene has finally figured out, albeit way late, what his role has been in this cluster#$@#. I never thought that day would come. It's definitely a start...

Reactions: BatherSeason

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

nothin more fun than listening to some music and watchin the boys get spanked

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I find it strange that the same people saying that they were done until Melnyk sells because he is too cheap and can’t afford to be an owner are seeing this as a positive step.

Little’s job is to increase revenue, his job is to say what you want to hear.

Melnyk is still the owner and Dorion still has to work with a budget below the cap floor.

I fully expect this media tour was to get some good feelings before they announce a hockey decision that fans will hate (like a Pageau trade).

My thoughts as well.

No words will bring me back to spending my money on this team until Euge opens his wallet. There's no negotiating around that.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013

Cheap tickets, cheap alcohol

I know this is not possible but the 67s are offering 2 dollar small cans of beer. The Uni college kids eat that shit up.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I’m past angry and on to apathy as Mendez said. How to win me back? Spend 20m per year for the next 3 years on bad contracts while collecting first rounders. Makes up for all the front loaded contracts and picks we have sold off. An eye for an eye

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

Winning will absolutely increase attendance in this city.

There are numbers to back that up, as we were a top attendance team back when we were good, so you are misremembering when you suggest that we could not sell out even when we were a contender.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
And what I’ve seen at the games so far this year, it’s generally the low priced tickets not selling. Now, I know my demographic (20-25) aren’t rich, but we can afford 30 dollar tickets and cheap beer.

And we come in big numbers.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
I want the atmosphere to be good so bad. Going to Sens games is one of my favourite things to do. I know it sounds pathetic but I get giddy when I see the arena when I’m coming down the highway.

Honest to god, lower alcohol prices and watch the atmosphere blossom. 80% of the stadium is stone cold sober or had 1 beer because they’re 15 bucks each.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Great article by Ian Mendes

Jim Little’s big task is filling the seats in Ottawa - TSN.ca

Little – who has officially been on the job since Jan. 10 – is well aware of the stigma surrounding the franchise.

“As I’ve said to the owner, it’s a small business that has a big brand problem. It’s not that complicated. The fix is right in front of us and it’s going to be a lot of hard work to fix,” Little told TSN 1200. “The one big fix we have to make, is our season ticket base is very low. We’re amongst the lowest in the league. Number one, over time, we have to get the fan base back. And that’s not a quick fix.”

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I want the atmosphere to be good so bad. Going to Sens games is one of my favourite things to do. I know it sounds pathetic but I get giddy when I see the arena when I’m coming down the highway.

Honest to god, lower alcohol prices and watch the atmosphere blossom. 80% of the stadium is stone cold sober or had 1 beer because they’re 15 bucks each.

Last NHL survey on beer prices (2016) had Ottawa with the lowest beer prices across the league. 2014/15 season as well.

Sounds like another Ottawa fan issue that is part of the problem.

If you are going to a professional sports game these are the associated costs.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Last NHL survey on beer prices (2016) had Ottawa with the lowest beer prices across the league. 2014/15 season as well.

Sounds like another Ottawa fan issue that is part of the problem.

If you are going to a professional sports game these are the associated costs.
Why are you always labelling it an Ottawa fan issue? You ask any fan of any team and they will almost certainly agree that concession prices are ridiculous across the board.

Where is the NHL survey you speak of? Curious to read it

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Being drunk and stuck at the CTC parking lot after the game isn't fun ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad