Proposal: Sens-Canucks

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Neither team does it.
Thomas Chabot is a good building block on defense, and Brock Boeser's a good building block for a forward group.
Canucks have Quinn Hughes as their d-man building block, so it'd be an asset duplication to acquire Chabot; Senators have two 1st-round picks in the 2020 draft that they could use to select two building block forwards, or a forward & RHD. No point in trading their established LHD when it's a harder position to fill than wing -- even if it is a potential 30-40 goal scorer.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
neither ? :D i think benning does immediately

Ok, so after the trade, the Canucks LHD looks like: Thomas Chabot, Alex Edler, Quinn Hughes, and Jordie Benn; w/ Nikita Tryamkin, Jack Rathbone, and Olli Juolevi in the system.
RWers are: Jake Virtanen, Josh Leivo, Loui Eriksson, and Tyler Motte; w/ Kole Lind, and Will Lockwood in the system, whom likely project as 3rd-liners.

How does it make sense to trade from a position of weakness to strengthen a position of depth?
Eventually the Canucks will have to deal a d-man for a potential 30-40 goal scorer like the one they just traded, which teams rarely give up.

Reactions: Grantham

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Chabot holds way more value than Boeser, there is not even a doubt about that. I believe Chabot is the only player who is completely off limit (most likely with Tkachuk)

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Okay so what would the Canucks need to add?
I don't think you can add any type of lesser pieces to make this worthwhile for the Sens.

Chabot is their current building block. He even committed on a 8 year contract beyond this season, so they get cost certainty as well. So you would have to replace Boeser with something more valuable. I can see two pieces on Vancouver's roster:
1) Quinn Hughes: This would be a lateral move for Ottawa and in a main board poll about young Ds Chabot was rated by the majority (of the participants) higher than Hughes. Add Chabot's commitment and I think Ottawa would ask for an add. I am not familiar with the goalie prospects of Ottawa, but Hughes + Demko/DiPietro could be enough of an overpay to make Chabot available.
2) The other piece is Elias Pettersson /end of discussion

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Canucks accept.
With Rathbone Tram and OJ LHD is one of our strengths. We are lacking any high-end wing prospects other then Podz and to a lesser extent Hogs. With the loss of Ferland Motte and Sutter who has been huge as a shutdown forward this team has just sucked in November.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I seriously doubt the Sens have any interest in trading away a core piece in the rebuild, it doesn't make any sense.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Vancouver will not move Boeser, it would open up a huge hole in our top 6. Van should be looking for another top 6 scoring winger and depth D man, if we are to make a trade.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
With Rathbone Tram and OJ LHD is one of our strengths. We are lacking any high-end wing prospects other then Podz and to a lesser extent Hogs. With the loss of Ferland Motte and Sutter who has been huge as a shutdown forward this team has just sucked in November.
Having 3 average lhd prospects has no influence on acquiring a young top pairing defenseman.

Reactions: Canucks1096

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Having 3 average lhd prospects has no influence on acquiring a young top-pairing defenseman.
That wasn't my point really. I think any trade should be to acquire at least another top 6 forward. Hughes is a slam dunk top pairing with #1 upside, Rathbone who was considered a top 5 pick until he decided to stay home with his autistic Brother and scouts didn't get to see him against better competition dropping him down their lists. He was good last year and now is thriving. He skates as good as Hughes with a cannon of a shot but like Q his defensive game is still pretty raw but like Q has the speed and stick skills which help a ton. Tram still has top 4 upside and brings a much-needed nastiness to the team. OJ is the real wild card. Health obviously is the concern but at least its not his knee and most likely he has a groin injury that seems to happen to everyone who miss a lot of time with injury like what happened with Brock. Trading Brock for a luxury not a necessity only leaves a hole in a position were weakest at. Look at the leafs, no fan will admit it but signing JT was money that could have went to a stud D and they would still have their 1st and Kadri and been much better off.

Reactions: gianni

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
That wasn't my point really. I think any trade should be to acquire at least another top 6 forward. Hughes is a slam dunk top pairing with #1 upside, Rathbone who was considered a top 5 pick until he decided to stay home with his autistic Brother and scouts didn't get to see him against better competition dropping him down their lists. He was good last year and now is thriving. He skates as good as Hughes with a cannon of a shot but like Q his defensive game is still pretty raw but like Q has the speed and stick skills which help a ton. Tram still has top 4 upside and brings a much-needed nastiness to the team. OJ is the real wild card. Health obviously is the concern but at least its not his knee and most likely he has a groin injury that seems to happen to everyone who miss a lot of time with injury like what happened with Brock. Trading Brock for a luxury not a necessity only leaves a hole in a position were weakest at. Look at the leafs, no fan will admit it but signing JT was money that could have went to a stud D and they would still have their 1st and Kadri and been much better off.

Agreed. I actually didn't know about Jack Rathbone initially being so highly touted; also just discovered that his dad was a former draft pick of the Islanders, so there's some hockey bloodlines there.

Another thing to consider is Morgan Rielly being a free agent in 2.5 years, and the likelihood that the Canucks would be atop of his preferred destinations. Unless the Leafs are able to get into cup contention, I think Rielly eventually leaves, or is traded prior to free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad