GDT: Sens @ Canes: Canes Otta Win this, Eh?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Not sure about MVP this year. He has been really really good and made huge strides, but seems imo to go invisible at times. He also has a issue still with trying to do too much himself.

He’s getting better each year though however. Just has to keep building on this year and be a bit more consistent. My opinion anyways.
Not one player has been better, and none of the top guys have been consistent this season. Certainly none have more consistently dangerous than he has even with his occasional drop offs. 4 OT winners. Clutch. Many big goals late in games had him involved. No one does it all season other than guys like McDavid. Aho had his quiet moments this season. Early in the season it was all Necas and Svech, and he’s still doing it. Almost 70 pts? Different lines all season. Good for him.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Not one player has been better, and none of the top guys have been consistent this season. Certainly none have more consistently dangerous than he has even with his occasional drop offs. 4 OT winners. Clutch. Many big goals late in games had him involved. No one does it all season other than guys like McDavid. Aho had his quiet moments this season. Early in the season it was all Necas and Svech, and he’s still doing it. Almost 70 pts? Different lines all season. Good for him.
Agreed on most points dude. Not trying to argue with you. Just stating my opinion.

I would probably put Aho and Burns as MVPs for us this year as they are just constantly good and bring their ‘A’ game almost every night. Necas just under those guys IMO.

Anyways, huge win and glad we got those 2 points.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Stickpuckers thoughts of the game:

*Necas says too bad no 3v3 in the POs
*Kokomiami with another good game. He layed the wood on some poor fool too.
*Raanta looks like our hottest goalie too bad he is 1 play away from death
*what's with letting people run him over.
*Brady Skjei....not sure which is prettier your shot or your smile....I'll leave that to the ladies to decide.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Stickpuckers thoughts of the game:

*Necas says too bad no 3v3 in the POs
*Kokomiami with another good game. He layed the wood on some poor fool too.
*Raanta looks like our hottest goalie too bad he is 1 play away from death
*what's with letting people run him over.
*Brady Skjei....not sure which is prettier your shot or your smile....I'll leave that to the ladies to decide.
THE SMILE HE MAKES WHEN HIS NAME GETS TO A SPELLING BEE CONTEST.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I’m not going to take the piss out of what a great season he’s had, but in general this team has no MVP. Offensively, he and Aho are probably a push. Burns has been amazing but Slavin does all the heavy lifting defensively. Getting 18 goals out of Skjei and he and Pesce being relied upon heavily is wildly valuable. It’s all truly by committee, even in net it’s 3 guys with basically identical stats.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I'd give the MVP to Slavin. The strenth of this team is that we have the lowest goals against in the NHL. The offense has been by committee. The defensive side of the game has been good from top to bottom- but there's no question who the true defensive star of this team is, to the point where we just take it for granted night in and night out. As much as we love our offensive stars when they're playing well and rag on them when they're not, this is a team built around an elite D corps, and that elite D corps is built around a guy who's as dominant on the defensive side of the game as McDavid is dominant on the offensive side.

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC
Agreed on most points dude. Not trying to argue with you. Just stating my opinion.

I would probably put Aho and Burns as MVPs for us this year as they are just constantly good and bring their ‘A’ game almost every night. Necas just under those guys IMO.

Anyways, huge win and glad we got those 2 points.
Glad we got the points the previous poster using McDavid as a reference is silly he's the best foward since Gretzky...

I have a feeling we will be really hurting in the playoffs for scoring, Aho and Necas are the only forwards we have who even have the ability to take over a game.. The Svechnikov and Pacioretty losses will hurt bad.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

StorminSnvechnAho

Feb 15, 2021
NC
The Canes without Paciorrety and Svech are basically the Islanders. They can still win, but the number of ways they can win is a lot smaller now.
It's sad honestly because if we had them we would legit be Cup or bust...

I wonder if we make the finals if Pacioretty tries to give it a go after 5 months of rehab.

StorminSnvechnAho

Feb 15, 2021
NC
My hopes for a deep playoff run are very dampened but I'm pretty sure we can yet 6 points out of this remaining schedule although I don't think Jersey will get all 8 they have remaining.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230405_010500_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230405_010500_Chrome.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 3

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I hope Rod gives the 1st unit just a little more time to gel, even when Teravainen returns. It’s a mix that offers max variety. Aho and Burns are positioned properly for one-timers from both half-walls. Ghost can shoot from the middle. I’d like to see Necas touch the puck more down low; the Lindholm pass to Staal (goal line to slot) should open up some lanes up high.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

RBA in his presser “he has a flair for the dramatic that’s for sure.”

The NHL has given him some good PR and helped to raise his profile. His agent must be happy. Other than #nhlallstar, and some might say, even their denial of that, ended up helping in the long run.

Last edited:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
This context is really incredible isn’t it, testament to the organization and how solid of a true team they’ve put together. Of course Rod deserves a ton of credit but it really is from the top down starting with Dundon. The entire team and organization in my opinion is considerably better than the sum of its parts. That bodes well for when we are able to improve those parts and our younger guys mature more. Yes we’d all like to see us break through in the playoffs and win it all but playoff success really comes down to it being a game of inches and there being some luck and timing involved. The best measure of a great organization is sustained success, which we’ve absolutely had and are set up very well to continue for another decade + to come.

GTFOOH! I've been told that the Borg is dumb, that we should start to consider the question of moving on from Rod as coach, and that the Canes window is only two years!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
KK was legitimately the best player on the ice for the Canes tonight. Not sure how much of that is praise of him or indictment of everyone else.
He's really gaining confidence which is good to see. Throwing his body around as well. Still needs to work on getting his shot off quicker, but his overall improvement is noticeable and his confidence is really high right now.

One thing he needs to stop though is those drop passes along the board, in traffic to a player right next to him near the blue line in the offensive zone. He's done it at least 3 times in recent games and it hasn't cost the Canes yet, but only because the other Canes player (Noesen last night) was able to disrupt the opposing team.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Glad we got the points the previous poster using McDavid as a reference is silly he's the best foward since Gretzky...

I think maybe you missed the context of the McDavid comment. Francis10 said that Necas was too inconsistent and Bleed said "No one does it all season other than guys like McDavid." It's not a silly reference, he's right. Even studs like Aho have times where they go through droughts. Svech had a long scoring drought. Only the elite of the league are ones that show up every single night. Aho, Svech and Necas are going to have stretches where they don't.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Now comes the road test to hold onto first.

I’m figuring devils win 3 of next four so we need to get two wins to retain first.

Preds, Ottawa, Buffalo, Panthers and Red Wings at Home.

Get a win on Thursday in Nashville and we are essentially there.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
KK was legitimately the best player on the ice for the Canes tonight. Not sure how much of that is praise of him or indictment of everyone else.
I said it during the game but it beats repeating, KK was seriously frustrated with himself in the 3rd last night. Took one shift and came back to the bench, slammed the door and kicked it probably 10 times before sitting down. And a few mins later was still yelling at himself as he moved down to make room for others coming off their shifts.

Don't tell me the kid doesn't care. It's probably the most emotion I've seen out of one of our own players in a game in a while. If he continues to dedicate himself to improving, he really could blossom here.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So what cost us this game.. Stupid penalties and Bad D..
Unfortunately, I think that without Svech, Patches and TT right now, that's what we're going to have to deal with. Only way Canes win is aggressively forechecking, tight gaps by D in the neutral zone and the D being aggressive to contribute offensively. That, unfortunately, can lead to increased penalties, even stupid ones as guys are over-aggressive. Other team's know that's how Carolina will play and are are going to try to take advantage of missed assignments defensively. Look how often in the 2nd period and beyond the Senators were trying to have guys flee the zone and hit them with long stretch passes.

Will it be a problem in the playoffs? Maybe, but at this point, it's how they have to play.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
And still the 2nd best team in the league. With below average goaltending.

I'm just sick of the hearing the narrative that we have no "game breakers" or more annoyingly, "oomph per 60" to win it all. While that is true to some extent we also play a system that isn't exactly kind to forwards looking to inflate their scoring, plus we are a small market, and our players get little exposure. Having a player just go HAM point total wise would help drown some of that out.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
One other thing..... Necas ripped the shit out of that shot in OT. I had to slow down footage just to see where he shot it, all I saw in person was him shoot and then it bouncing out of the net, had no idea he beat the goalie glove side. Absolute piss missile of a wrist shot.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I love your new version of this. Most orwellian.

Mere beat they ass was sounding old, admitted.

Might I suggest for a future 3.0, something about what they do in a sauna?
That was also a bit of a combination of ideas. beat they ass has been a meme here for as long as I can remember. We also have another joking phrase in English, the beatings will continue until morale improves. I decided to combine to two to freshen things up, as you said, and because a certain subset of hfcanes is in hysterics despite the team being second in the league. Hopefully some more beating they ass will improve their disposition.

And as far as talking about doing things to they ass in a sauna, I think that would get me banned. I’ll leave that one for canesfanfics.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Stubu and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad