Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Bruins Feb. 8 (3 p.m. Eastern)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm kind of happy Andy is playing - we know Lehner plays well vs Boston, but this could be a potential playoff matchup, if we are so lucky to get in.

That's an interesting line, Zib and Ryan. I kind of like it. I'm not a huge fan of Kassian going in, but you never know what happens when our Kaptain is in. (obligatory random fight)

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
**** how are those lines just for fun.

PLAY THOSE LINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How ironic that when MacLean makes fun lines they end up being the good ones.

Zibanejad could be exactly what Ryan needs to get going again.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
Gah. So sick of afternoon games. a) I can't watch them live unless I get up a 6am or earlier and b) the Sens suck

Here's the Sens record in afternoon games this season
2pm Oct 19 vs EDM: 3-1 Loss
1pm Nov 3 vs DAL: 4-3 SO Loss
2pm Nov 9 vs FLA: 3-2 Win
1pm Nov 17 vs CBJ: 4-1 Loss
5pm Nov 24 @ CAR: 4-1 Loss
5:30pm Dec 1 vs DET: 4-2 Win
2pm Dec 14 vs LA: 5-2 Loss
2pm Dec 21 vs PHO: 4-3 OT Loss
2pm Jan 18 vs NYR: 4-1 Loss
12pm Jan 25 @ CAR: 6-3 Loss

That's a total score of Sens 22 - Opp 37. Not good.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Afternoon games as a reason for struggling is just a poor excuse for the team not being prepared. Last I checked I haven't heard the other teams we played in afternoon games whining about it. Poor d and goaltending is what has cost us more afternoon games than not. Lehner lost us the Canes game, Andy cost us the kings game, our pp cost us the coyotes game and the rest were all collective stinkers by the whole team.

moz

Gute Post
Oct 30, 2006
Ottawa
I may sound stupid, but what does "Corsi" mean?

Shot attempts for minus shot attempts against.

A shot attempt is anything directed at the net, whether it is a goal, shot/save, missed shot, post, blocked shot etc.

Sarcasticus

Mar 25, 2010
Ottawa
Gah. So sick of afternoon games. a) I can't watch them live unless I get up a 6am or earlier and b) the Sens suck

5:30pm Dec 1 vs DET: 4-2 LOSS!!!

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

It worked for 9MM getting the Conacher Zibanejad third line treatment. If it works for Ryan then Greening is next :laugh:

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013

Lmao. True that. Watch the real line be like Michalek-Spezza-Neil

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

We might need to get the coach drunk to get good lines out of him.

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013

@PlayoffPlayer28: "Sens are 25-12-10 not counting the afternoon games.."

eyeno

Jul 16, 2010
trust me on this on

Shot attempts for minus shot attempts against.

A shot attempt is anything directed at the net, whether it is a goal, shot/save, missed shot, post, blocked shot etc.

The only ones that are into this stuff are stat gekes at university or in grade 7 to 12.The teams dont use it ,the last thing a player wants is more stats.The players I have asked have not even heard about it. So dont put much effort into it it dont mean jack ****

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
The only ones that are into this stuff are stat gekes at university or in grade 7 to 12.The teams dont use it ,the last thing a player wants is more stats.The players I have asked have not even heard about it. So dont put much effort into it it dont mean jack ****

You're actually pretty off. A lot of players are aware of Corsi, and it is in fact used by at least one NHL team (Buffalo). The Sabres goaltending coach, Jim Corsi, came up with the stat to track how much 'work' a goaltender does in a game.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
You're actually pretty off. A lot of players are aware of Corsi, and it is in fact used by at least one NHL team (Buffalo). The Sabres goaltending coach, Jim Corsi, came up with the stat to track how much 'work' a goaltender does in a game.

Which is quite different from the way people use Corsi to gauge forwards these days.

Wasn't Tim Murray the guy who said something along the lines of 'people who use corsi don't understand the game'

moz

Gute Post
Oct 30, 2006
Ottawa

You're wrong on pretty much every count here, except that most players don't know/care about it. You can guarantee that will change very quickly in the coming years. I find it silly how people recoil in horror just because it has a name. Phrase it to players as "do you like generating shooting opportunities when you're on the ice/do you enjoy possessing the puck?" or for the CHL-type "puck have good. Puck not have not good." It's not complicated just because it doesn't fit into G/A/P columns.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Which is quite different from the way people use Corsi to gauge forwards these days.

Wasn't Tim Murray the guy who said something along the lines of 'people who use corsi don't understand the game'

Correct, the original Corsi metric was not supposed to be used to evaluate skaters, only goalies, and Jim Corsi doesn't necessarily use it's 'newer' adaptation.

However, he has been pretty supportive of the adaptation, and it's not unreasonable to think that NHL coaches have looked into it.

He [Jim Corsi] and Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff talk over the scoring chance save percentage of the goalies on the team, but Corsi doesn’t break down a full scoring chances plus/minus for all Sabres players. He uses statistics to illuminate aspects of the game and a player’s performance, he says, but doesn’t lean on them.

“Desjardins is very kind to have credited me for the initial concept, that I used strictly to find out about goaltending,” Corsi says. “He has ultimately developed it even further.

“He’s the guy that has ultimately made it into a rating that is also valuable for players. So basically creating a number that allows him or anyone that is interested to see if this player is creating offence, or is he creating the negative side of offence, chances, and too much time in his (own defensive) zone. It gives you an idea of how much puck possession is created on an individual basis… . It’s quite an interesting indicator.”

"Corsi says he has now checked out Desjardins’ Behind the Net site. “When Don Chery and Ron MacLean were all over it like a heat rash, I was giggling. I was like, ‘Oh my God, these guys are talking about it. I better check this out.’ But I haven’t checked it (Corsi plus/minus) for my team. I’ve got a lot of other things to go.”

Link to interview.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
a recent video on sens tv had a few players asked about corsi. some didnt know/care, others said it was dumb.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
a recent video on sens tv had a few players asked about corsi. some didnt know/care, others said it was dumb.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST WILL BE PLAYING DEVIL'S ADVOCATE

MLB pitchers scoffed at metrics like WHIP when they were introduced, saying they preferred "wins" as a tool to evaluate pitchers, and hitory has shown that they were pretty wrong about that one.

Now, WHIP is a FAR better measuring tool than CORSI is, IMO, but the point is: don't judge an evaluative metric in it's infancy by the reaction it gets from players.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Sorry to derail the important Corsi discussion guys, just want to chime in that I for one appreciate afternoon games because they're the only ones I can see live. Which pisses me off all the more that Ottawa sucks at them, because come on guys, what kind of ******** excuse is that

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Sorry to derail the important Corsi discussion guys, just want to chime in that I for one appreciate afternoon games because they're the only ones I can see live. Which pisses me off all the more that Ottawa sucks at them, because come on guys, what kind of ******** excuse is that

Yeah, agreed.

Our "afternoon games" record kind of defies logic. It's just so ridiculously bad. Maybe we are a team of vampires, and "day games" weakens us? I seriously have no idea, but we get outscored by a 2:1 margin when we play during sunlight hours.

It's bad.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Karlsson and Lehner I can definitely see as vampires

Last edited:

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I don't really think of Chara as integral to the Bruins' lineup. I think Chara has always been billed as an all-star but he really can't do anything physically (due to obstruction crackdowns) and he's easily burned. He's got a nice shot and he's very smart but I think of Krug, Boychuck and Hamilton as more of a concern.

I don't want to get into an argument about Chara's worth I'm just saying I don't think him being out of the lineup is really a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad