Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #4 - Tie Breaker

Who is the Sens #4 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He's got the best tools among our prospects not named Sanderson by a pretty large margin, he looks to have put some of them together somewhat in the playoffs

I'm expecting a big year (40g-40+a) and a real chance at the WJ team come December

To be fair, I said the same at the beginning of last year, which never happened until the playoffs
Would be huge if he progresses and turns into a steal. Big, fast and tough enough with skill is always in fashion.

We are looking to have legit solid 3rd and 4th lines with tons of high end skill in top 6 too.

Hard to remember the last time guys were pushed down the lineup instead of forced up. Havlat days I guess.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Ostapchuk
I can't say I really understand the obsession by Sens fans over forwards. Sportsnet literally ranked Thomson three in their top-ten prospect ranking for the Senators.

It doesn't make sense to me how he could fall to 6 or 7 on these boards, when he literally is everything we need in a defender and has plausible huge upside. He is developing a lot more quickly than JBD and looks to be more of a well rounded defender than JBD.

Ostapchuk really needs to improve his skating and foot speed if he wants to make an impact in the NHL. That's my perspective. Otherwise he has a lot of the other skills.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I can't say I really understand the obsession by Sens fans over forwards. Sportsnet literally ranked Thomson three in their top-ten prospect ranking for the Senators.

It doesn't make sense to me how he could fall to 6 or 7 on these boards, when he literally is everything we need in a defender and has plausible huge upside. He is developing a lot more quickly than JBD and looks to be more of a well rounded defender than JBD.

Ostapchuk really needs to improve his skating and foot speed if he wants to make an impact in the NHL. That's my perspective. Otherwise he has a lot of the other skills.
There is no obsession over forwards, the Sens just have a very weak group of defenseman other than Sanderson, I don't think any aside from Sanderson project to be more than bottom pairing guys

Have seen enough Sportsnet rankings the past 10 years to not take them seriously, the same way these shouldn't be taken seriously, especially when it's a 1 man ranking from a youtuber I wouldn't trust with anything

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I picked Thomson because I think he'll end up being a top 4 guy for us. I love his stick work and skating, he just needs more experience to refine his game. Dude isn't the biggest and I love seeing defenders that aren't that physical learn how to be good at their job

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I honestly feel the prospect rankings on this board are pretty legit we probably watch the ottawa senators more than any group on the internet. Obviously there are biases but the sample sizes in these polls are usually over 100 participants.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Again, NEEDS have absolutely nothing to do with BPA

Also, (edit : please) provide link for the Sportsnet ranking, always curious to see various opinions

Add Chandler Romeo

Sure, I'll do that for poll #22, if you don't mind

Or... were you serious? Lol

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Why does liking Ostapchuk over Thomson mean sens fans are obsessed with forwards? As for the Sportsnet list, meh. Not sure who the guy making that list is, or how credible he is, but in terms of how a player could fall 6 spots from that list is pretty straight forward, the gap isn't very big player to player at this stage, just like as you get further in a draft, the rankings start to vary from source to source. Pinto and Sanderson are in a tier, imo Greig is in the next tier, but after that it's wide open. There are arguments for half a dozen guys.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Why does liking Ostapchuk over Thomson mean sens fans are obsessed with forwards? As for the Sportsnet list, meh. Not sure who the guy making that list is, or how credible he is, but in terms of how a player could fall 6 spots from that list is pretty straight forward, the gap isn't very big player to player at this stage, just like as you get further in a draft, the rankings start to vary from source to source. Pinto and Sanderson are in a tier, imo Greig is in the next tier, but after that it's wide open. There are arguments for half a dozen guys.
He’s a YouTube/Twitter guy. It’s like getting one of those Bardown TSN video creators to make lists.

It’s like when sportsnet got Eklund to run their trade deadline special, about the same amount of expertise in both.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Maybe I am being biased. It just seems like often these HFboard rankings put the forwards on a higher pedestal than defence. Unless of course your an offensive defensemen the likes of Sanderson. Either way, I am a firm believer in Thomson rounding out our top-4 defenders.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Maybe I am being biased. It just seems like often these HFboard rankings put the forwards on a higher pedestal than defence. Unless of course your an offensive defensemen the likes of Sanderson. Either way, I am a firm believer in Thomson rounding out our top-4 defenders.
Or maybe HF is bang on? We have 1 homegrown D on the team and Chabot is the only legit top pair D we have drafted since Karlsson and before then it was...Phillips?

Hasn't been a lot to be excited about!

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Or maybe HF is bang on? We have 1 homegrown D on the team and Chabot is the only legit top pair D we have drafted since Karlsson and before then it was...Phillips?

Hasn't been a lot to be excited about!
Bang on about what? Where prospects should be ranked? I think projection is fine, but we actually have to see these players in the NHL.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Bang on about what? Where prospects should be ranked?
Well ya, that's what we are talking about
I think projection is fine, but we actually have to see these players in the NHL.
.You said you think Sens fans have an obsession with F and always rank our F higher than the D, no?

I am saying our drafted D have been shit for many years so it would make sense the F had higher rankings.

Reactions: Cosmix

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Well ya, that's what we are talking about

.You said you think Sens fans have an obsession with F and always rank our F higher than the D, no?

I am saying our drafted D have been shit for many years so it would make sense the F had higher rankings.
Tim Stutzle (53 GP)
Josh Norris (59 GP)
---------------------------------
1- Jake Sanderson (95.0%)
2- Shane Pinto (71.2%)
3- Erik Brännström (46.1%)
4- Tyler Boucher (28.6%)
5- Alex Formenton (53.2%)
6- Ridly Greig (43.8%)
7- Filip Gustavsson (43.6%)
8- Jacob Bernard-Docker (74.1%)
9- Egor Sokolov (51.2%)
10- Mads Søgaard (58.7%)
11- Logan Brown (50.0%)
12- Roby Järventie (52.8%)
13- Tyler Kleven (44.9%)
14- Lassi Thomson (54.3%)
15- Leevi Merilainen (71.4%)
16- Zack Ostapchuk (42.9%)
17- Angus Crookshank (67.6%)
18- Parker Kelly (45.0%)
19- Benjamin Roger (37.2%)
20- Vitali Abramov (68.2%)
21- Philippe Daoust (57.7%)

After last years camp I had Lassi ranked higher than Boucher. Are you suggesting the board was correct about him last year? Are you saying a top-4 d is worth less than what some people are projecting as a bottom-6 forward?

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Tim Stutzle (53 GP)
Josh Norris (59 GP)
---------------------------------
1- Jake Sanderson (95.0%)
2- Shane Pinto (71.2%)
3- Erik Brännström (46.1%)
4- Tyler Boucher (28.6%)
5- Alex Formenton (53.2%)
6- Ridly Greig (43.8%)
7- Filip Gustavsson (43.6%)
8- Jacob Bernard-Docker (74.1%)
9- Egor Sokolov (51.2%)
10- Mads Søgaard (58.7%)
11- Logan Brown (50.0%)
12- Roby Järventie (52.8%)
13- Tyler Kleven (44.9%)
14- Lassi Thomson (54.3%)
15- Leevi Merilainen (71.4%)
16- Zack Ostapchuk (42.9%)
17- Angus Crookshank (67.6%)
18- Parker Kelly (45.0%)
19- Benjamin Roger (37.2%)
20- Vitali Abramov (68.2%)
21- Philippe Daoust (57.7%)

After last years camp I had Lassi ranked higher than Boucher. Are you suggesting the board was correct about him last year? Are you saying a top-4 d is worth less than what some people are projecting as a bottom-6 forward?
Well...Boucher was a 10th overall pick and the new blood always gets a boost in these rankings so wasn't surprised he was ranked higher. Lassi also wasn't coming off a great campaign.

From the guy that said, "projections are fine but we need to see them in the NHL." you sure you feel comfortable saying Lassi is a top 4 D and Boucher a bottom 6?

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

lol forgot to say please but thanks for sharing. I watch this guy videos once in a while, I like that he's very passionate

Sogaard at 9th seems low. Weird to have Thomson over Greig IMO and even weirder to have Oliver Johansson above guys like Ostapchuk, Kleven, etc

I don't agree with this. You can imagine how closely I have followed these polls. Keep in mind that there's only 6-7 D spots on a hockey team vs 12-13 spots for forwards... so it's normal for a team to have more forward prospects. It's actually necessary

But look at past rankings. In 2017 for example, 7 of the top-15 prospects were D-men. Only one guy is a quality NHL player today. Same for 2018. I would say we are actually desperate for our D prospects to turn out good.

Top 30 Senators Prospects 2016

#1 Thomas Chabot
#7 Andreas Englund
#10 Christian Jaros
#14 Fredrik Claesson

Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2017

1. Thomas Chabot
5. Fredrik Claesson
7. Christian Jaros
8. Ben Harpur
11. Andreas Englund
14. Christian Wolanin
15. Maxime Lajoie

HF Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2018

1- Thomas Chabot
9- Jacob Bernard-Docker
10- Christian Wolanin
11- Christian Jaros
12- Jonny Tychonick
13- Maxime Lajoie
14- Ben Harpur

You're looking at a very unique situation here. Tyler Boucher was ranked #4 last year mostly because of draft position, which was according to pretty much the whole hockey world, undeserved. I was very vocal that it was a mistake and was pushing hard for Ridly Greig to be voted over him (and Forms). It didn't work. Many are still going to vote Boucher high.

Pinto and Greig should 100% be ranked above Thomson/JBD. The debate starts at Ostapchuk/Jarventie and Thomson/JBD

Last edited:

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Well...Boucher was a 10th overall pick and the new blood always gets a boost in these rankings so wasn't surprised he was ranked higher. Lassi also wasn't coming off a great campaign.

From the guy that said, "projections are fine but we need to see them in the NHL." you sure you feel comfortable saying Lassi is a top 4 D and Boucher a bottom 6?
Here's the thing about me. I can admit when I'm wrong. After last years camp, when I saw Thomson's skating, I knew he was an NHLer. I think he can take that next step this season.

Reactions: OD99

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
lol forgot to say please but thanks for sharing. I watch this guy videos once in a while, I like that he's very passionate

Sogaard at 9th seems low. Weird to have Thomson over Greig IMO and even weirder to have Oliver Johansson above guys like Ostapchuk, Kleven, etc

I don't agree with this. You can imagine how closely I have followed these polls. Keep in mind that there's only 6-7 D spots on a hockey team vs 12-13 spots for forwards... so it's normal for a team to have more forward prospects. It's actually necessary

But look at past rankings. In 2017 for example, 7 of the top-15 prospects were D-men. Only one guy is a quality NHL player today. Same for 2018. I would say we are actually desperate for our D prospects to turn out good.

Top 30 Senators Prospects 2016

#1 Thomas Chabot
#7 Andreas Englund
#10 Christian Jaros
#14 Fredrik Claesson

Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2017

1. Thomas Chabot
5. Fredrik Claesson
7. Christian Jaros
8. Ben Harpur
11. Andreas Englund
14. Christian Wolanin
15. Maxime Lajoie

HF Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2018

1- Thomas Chabot
9- Jacob Bernard-Docker
10- Christian Wolanin
11- Christian Jaros
12- Jonny Tychonick
13- Maxime Lajoie
14- Ben Harpur

You're looking at a very unique situation here. Tyler Boucher was ranked #4 last year mostly because of draft position, which was according to pretty much the whole hockey world, undeserved. I was very vocal that it was a mistake and was pushing hard for Ridly Greig to be voted over him (and Forms). It didn't work. Many are still going to vote Boucher high.

Pinto and Greig should 100% be ranked above Thomson/JBD. The debate starts at Ostapchuk/Jarventie and Thomson/JBD

Gawd the D Prospects turned out awful!

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad