Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #17

Who is the Sens #17 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022

1- Jake Sanderson 96.6% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #1)
2- Shane Pinto 89.9% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #2)
3- Ridly Greig 87.3% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #3)
4- Mads Søgaard 51.2%
(Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #4 - Tie Breaker)
5- Lassi Thomson 59.3% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #5)
6- Jacob Bernard-Docker 39.6% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #6)
7- Zack Ostapchuk 43.3% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #7)
8- Tyler Boucher 44.7% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #8)
9- Tyler Kleven 47.5% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #9)
10- Roby Jarventie 63.8%
(Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #10 - Tie Breaker)
11- Egor Sokolov 62.5% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #11)
12- Viktor Lodin 24.6 % (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #12)
13- Angus Crookshank 45.9% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #13)
14- Tomas Hamara 41.9% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #14)
15- Mark Kastelic 38.7% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #15)
16- Parker Kelly 41.7% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #16)
17-
18-
19-
20-

As we have been doing since 2004, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o). Anyway, I don't see a debate for any candidate this year so that makes it easier

Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, array of shots, leadership qualities, size/strength, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA among these players?

Try to do some research on these kids, particularly the most recent ones. People are free to post links and videos about some of the prospects that should be voted soon, or even try to persuade others why a guy should be voted next! Spread info to help people vote.

Graduated players from 2021 (who are still in the organization) :

Erik Brännström and Alex Formenton. I'm also not including Vitali Abramov as he won't be back to NA before 25 y/o at least

To be added :

Benjamin Roger
Kevin Mandolese
Carson Latimer
Cole Reinhardt
Jonathan Aspirot
Stephen Halliday
Cameron O'Neill
Kevin Reidler
Theo Wallberg
Tyson Dyck
Chandler Romeo
Jakov Novak
Kristians Rubins
Jonny Tychonick
Luke Loheit

Also, leaving the link of pre-2017 polls if anyone wants to bookmark the page

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If the poll is suppose to be about potential how can a 6th rd pick Guennette garner more votes than Nordberg a 2nd rd pick? Or is it another example that this is really just a popularity contest?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If the poll is suppose to be about potential how can a 6th rd pick Guennette garner more votes than Nordberg a 2nd rd pick? Or is it another example that this is really just a popularity contest?
Because players develop after being drafted?

I'm guessing there's also a lack of familiarity with Nordberg, not too many people voting would have seen any of his games.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Emerica

May 29, 2010
You can vote however you want. Some people value potential, some folks vote for guys they are more familiar with or guys they think are more sure things. I don't get why people always get so caught up in these fan rankings. Its supposed to be for fun.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
The same people that say it’s just for fun or that they haven’t seen Nordberg play re posting in the Dorian thread thinking they’d be better GMs of the team.

Anyway, it’s so obviously Nordberg at this point but looks like he will lose again

Reactions: aragorn

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
The same people that say it’s just for fun or that they haven’t seen Nordberg play re posting in the Dorian thread thinking they’d be better GMs of the team.

Anyway, it’s so obviously Nordberg at this point but looks like he will lose again

why even have these polls anyways then

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
IMO, Merilainen has no reason being voted yet. His rebound control is terrible and he hasn't been good/consistent in any league outside of Finland's junior

He was completely out of the radar before the draft and hasn't proven enough yet to show that he should have been. The only thing that might influence people in voting him is he has been on Finland U20's team but sometimes it's because a country doesn't have a lot of options for that specific age range. Jatkola was objectively better.

1) You're solely talking about "draft position" here. It is something that can only have an effect for a certain period of time, and sometimes, not for very long

In Tyler Boucher's case for example, do you think people still consider him as a 10th OA pick, or anything close to that?

In this series of polls, he hasn't been mentioned, not even once. But a lot of prospects picked AFTER him have been voted or are options in the poll. Even here on the Sens board, he was ranked 8th and only Jake Sanderson was drafted higher than him.

2) Guenette has had a pretty decent development curve since the beginning, pretty good QMJHL career then a pretty good 20 y/o rookie season in the AHL. He has the skating and a very transferable skillset. He does nothing "great" but does everything well. He won't be a star but should be able to play in the NHL. He is a bit similar to Max Lajoie actually

There's some guys still not voted that might end up better but personally, I don't have enough viewings and info on them as of now. I will need a bit of time before being able to rank them higher. It could be a guy like Nordberg or Pettersson, or even Johansson/Donovan. I have more info and viewings on Daoust (since he comes from the Q) but I am currently concerned on the amount of development he's had the last 2 years. he has not played a lot of competitive hockey

3) By the way, Nordberg was just an "honorable mention" in McKenzie's pre-draft list (90 ranked, so basically 3 rounds). And he wasn't even ranked in the top-154 of the aggregated list (link below) based on 15 different "sources"

So when you say Nordberg was a 2nd round pick, it doesn't mean much as the Sens "reached" big time on him. But we know they do that often as they don't care about the consensuses and it's ok because they end up doing well very often on these so they get the benefit of the doubt (except for Boucher, that pick is undefendable)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You can vote however you want. Some people value potential, some folks vote for guys they are more familiar with or guys they think are more sure things. I don't get why people always get so caught up in these fan rankings. Its supposed to be for fun.

1) Yeah it is for fun and at the same time, the results are not that bad at all. Just look at recent rankings, 2020 top-20 for example ended up like this :

1- Tim Stutzle
2- Jake Sanderson
3- Drake Batherson
4- Josh Norris
5- Erik Brannstrom
6- Logan Brown
7- Jacob Bernard-Docker
8- Alex Formenton
9- Shane Pinto
10- Ridly Greig
11- Roby Jarventie
12- Rudolfs Balcers
13- Vitali Abramov
14- Joey Daccord
15- Lassi Thomson
16- Egor Sokolov
17- Tyler Kleven
18- Filip Chlapik
19- Mads Søgaard
20- Filip Gustavsson

We mis-ranked a few but based on the information we had at that moment, it looks like a solid ranking. Their development is not 100% over at the moment we vote in these polls, sometimes not even close.

2) Also, only evaluating one aspect would lead to an incomplete evaluation. It's like buying a new car just based on the way it looks. Not ideal IMO.

That's why I say this in every poll's OP :

"Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, array of shots, leadership qualities, size/strength, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA among these players?
"

Conclusion : this is fun and informative at the same time. There is no WRONG answer although we can try to convince people on making another choice and why.

it’s so obviously Nordberg at this point but looks like he will lose again

Why is it "so obviously Nordberg"? I haven't seen one argument outside of a shirtless pic... lol

I think Johnny T is done

Sometimes I give up on some prospects a bit too early (like I did with Thomson and Gustasson in the recent past for example) but I have considered Tychonick as an incoming bust for at least 2 years

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
IMO, Merilainen has no reason being voted yet. His rebound control is terrible and he hasn't been good/consistent in any league outside of Finland's junior

He was completely out of the radar before the draft and hasn't proven enough yet to show that he should have been. The only thing that might influence people in voting him is he has been on Finland U20's team but sometimes it's because a country doesn't have a lot of options for that specific age range. Jatkola was objectively better.

1) You're solely talking about "draft position" here. It is something that can only have an effect for a certain period of time, and sometimes, not for very long

In Tyler Boucher's case for example, do you think people still consider him as a 10th OA pick, or anything close to that?

In this series of polls, he hasn't been mentioned, not even once. But a lot of prospects picked AFTER him have been voted or are options in the poll. Even here on the Sens board, he was ranked 8th and only Jake Sanderson was drafted higher than him.

2) Guenette has had a pretty decent development curve since the beginning, pretty good QMJHL career then a pretty good 20 y/o rookie season in the AHL. He has the skating and a very transferable skillset. He does nothing "great" but does everything well. He won't be a star but should be able to play in the NHL. He is a bit similar to Max Lajoie actually

There's some guys still not voted that might end up better but personally, I don't have enough viewings and info on them as of now. I will need a bit of time before being able to rank them higher. It could be a guy like Nordberg or Pettersson, or even Johansson/Donovan. I have more info and viewings on Daoust (since he comes from the Q) but I am currently concerned on the amount of development he's had the last 2 years. he has not played a lot of competitive hockey

3) By the way, Nordberg was just an "honorable mention" in McKenzie's pre-draft list (90 ranked, so basically 3 rounds). And he wasn't even ranked in the top-154 of the aggregated list (link below) based on 15 different "sources"

So when you say Nordberg was a 2nd round pick, it doesn't mean much as the Sens "reached" big time on him. But we know they do that often as they don't care about the consensuses and it's ok because they end up doing well very often on these so they get the benefit of the doubt (except for Boucher, that pick is undefendable)
Totally agree on Leevi.

Have you had a chance to see Nordberg play yet? Even one period - not highlights. He’s top 4 potential. Does he make that? Probably not, but top 4 potential is way more valuable than Guenette (at least to me, or are others saying saying he’s top 4?) and the list of 4th liners that have been picked. To me Guenette is a 6/7 defenseman prospect. Some value, but not much. Like a Victor Mete maybe. Not sure that’s the best NHL comparable as the body is quite different, but as for role I think it’s a bad reasonable one. What do you have for his NHL comparable?

If you haven’t had a chance to see Nordberg play, I’ll try to find a clip of his game play for you - not highlights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Totally agree on Leevi.

Have you had a chance to see Nordberg play yet? Even one period - not highlights. He’s top 4 potential. Does he make that? Probably not, but top 4 potential is way more valuable than Guenette (at least to me, or are others saying saying he’s top 4?) and the list of 4th liners that have been picked. To me Guenette is a 6/7 defenseman prospect. Some value, but not much. Like a Victor Mete maybe. Not sure that’s the best NHL comparable as the body is quite different, but as for role I think it’s a bad reasonable one. What do you have for his NHL comparable?

If you haven’t had a chance to see Nordberg play, I’ll try to find a clip of his game play for you - not highlights.

No, only seen some short clips and read some reports so far but frankly this summer, I had very little time for research compared to usual.

IMO it's a bit early for me to rank Norberg as a potential Top-4. It could change fast but based on the info I have now, i.e. was not even a first 3 rounds pick based on McKenzie's pre-draft list, it's still too early

But don't worry I'll keep this post in mind when I re-evaluate

Guenette for Victor Mete as a comparable is not that bad. I see Guenette as having some similarities as they can cover some ground due to great mobility. Will need to see Guenette at the NHL level to have a better idea but he looked good in the AHL at times.

Reactions: Snowwy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How on earth did Crookshank beat Kastelic and Kelly?.... They are both NHL players... That have a physical edge that are the same age...
Crookshank has a significantly higher offensive upside than either of those guys, so probably based on that.

Sure fire 4th liners that might be able to get some 3rd line mins over their career vs a potential middle 6 guy that might bust or never become more than a bottom 6 journeyman.

Crookshank likely would have been challenging for top scorer in Belleville last year had he been healthy, probably could have gotten some callups like Sokolov did.

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
How on earth did Crookshank beat Kastelic and Kelly?.... They are both NHL players... That have a physical edge that are the same age...
Interesting. I know you have a soft spot for players with no NHL skill, but you think that almost sure fire 4th liners are better prospects than potential middle 6 guys? To me that’s wild. Replacement level players are exactly that. Replaceable and low value.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Interesting. I know you have a soft spot for players with no NHL skill, but you think that almost sure fire 4th liners are better prospects than potential middle 6 guys? To me that’s wild. Replacement level players are exactly that. Replaceable and low value.
That's an interesting way to look at it. I think Kelly has a better chance at being a middle 6 player than Crookshank. His shot is absolutely NHL he beat goalies from distance with no screen a few times last year with very little opportunity. Instead of being condescending I would say that we evaluate prospects different. To me players that can fill a role effectively are better players than ones that have very little chance at a future at all. 3rd and 4th line players that agitate and bring a physical element to the game without hurting your team are still useful. Especially for playoff teams. Players/Prospects that have some skill but arent very likely to fill a role at the NHL level are less valuable in my opinion. But I can see how someone would like that type of player in this scenario as they are basing it on them achieving their maximum skillset. However in this scenario if both players max out Kelly is still probably the more effective player because he would become an elite PKer with 20 goal upside while being a high end agitator.

Reactions: Snowwy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad