Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2021 #5 - Tie Breaker

Who is the Sens #5 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, array of shots, leadership qualities, size/strenght, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA among these players?

Try to do some research on these kids, particularly the most recent ones. People are free to post links and videos about some of the prospects that should be voted soon, or even try to persuade others why a guy should be voted next! Spread info to help people vote.

Players from the top-30 in 2020 who have graduated since (and still with the organization) :

Drake Batherson, Tim Stutzle, Josh Norris

Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2021

(1) Tim Stutzle (53 GP)
1- Jake Sanderson (95.0%)
(2) Josh Norris (59 GP)
2- Shane Pinto (71.2%)
3- Erik Brännström (46.1%)
4- Tyler Boucher (28.6%)
5-

As we have been doing since 2004, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o)

NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future

However, this year there will be 2 exceptions to AVOID massive turmoil. Like SensBrawler said to me "It's a weird situation due to the shortened season. In most years, they would have easily graduated."

So Tim Stutzle (53 GP) and Josh Norris (59 GP) are going to be considered graduated. The panel of Sens prospect polls experts think that the majority of people would still consider Brannstrom as a prospect, even though he has more games than them (63 GP), so he's going to be among options.

Order of the next prospects to be added :

Benjamin Roger
Kevin Mandolese
Vitali Abramov
Oliver Johansson
Carson Latimer
Philippe Daoust
Viktor Lodin
Maxence Guénette
Jonathan Aspirot
Parker Kelly
Cole Reinhardt
Mark Kastelic
Chandler Romeo
Jakov Novak
Jonny Tychonick
Eric Engstrand
Luke Loheit

Also, leaving the link of pre-2017 polls if anyone wants to bookmark the page

2016 Senators Prospects Top 30 + Past Rankings

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Close one, going with Grieg because I think his offensive potential is higher, but if Formenton can learn to finish the sky is the limit. Maybe we can hire a breakaway coach for him and C Brown.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Formenton has shown he can be an effective player in the NHL. If he can do it consistently, could be a really good NHL player with his speed.

Grieg is a bit farther away, could be a better offensive player if he develops well.

Formenton would be my pick for now. Can't wait to see what Grieg will do this season at the WJC and wherever else he ends up playing.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Close one, going with Grieg because I think his offensive potential is higher, but if Formenton can learn to finish the sky is the limit. Maybe we can hire a breakaway coach for him and C Brown.

I see Greig developping into a Jaden Schwartz type player, maybe more of a pest though. Formenton, we're hopeful he's going to be a Kreider. Not garanteed he'll score as much but will still have a lot of impact on the ice even if he doesn't

Reactions: Smeddy

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Formenton’s floor is a hell of a player so I went with him for the certainty, although Greig could be the more productive player.

Reactions: Dionysus

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Formenton was a better prospect at 18 and 19 and has only progressed. This board has hardly watched Greig. He definitely isn't the better prospect at this point. Formenton made the WJC at 18 had an impact and that team won, Greig wasn't remotely close to making it at all.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Formenton was a better prospect at 18 and 19 and has only progressed. This board has hardly watched Greig. He definitely isn't the better prospect at this point. Formenton made the WJC at 18 had an impact and that team won, Greig wasn't remotely close to making it at all.

What. I dont think this is true at all. Greig has outscored (ppg) Formenton in both his D and D+1 seasons as well as playing a more important position. Greig very likely could have made this years Canada WJC team but caught Covid right before. Say what you want about Formenton being fast or closer to NHL ready but he did not have a better major junior career than Greig so far. Greig has been the far more impressive 17 and 18 year old prospect.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

Anyone have the phone number for Kaspars Daugavins?

Reactions: Smeddy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What. I dont think this is true at all. Greig has outscored (ppg) Formenton in both his D and D+1 seasons as well as playing a more important position. Greig very likely could have made this years Canada WJC team but caught Covid right before. Say what you want about Formenton being fast or closer to NHL ready but he did not have a better major junior career than Greig so far. Greig has been the far more impressive 17 and 18 year old prospect.

Formenton was playing down the lineup the year he was drafted on a deep London team, but Greig produced at the same pace in his draft year as Formenton did in his DY +2

I just don't get it, Greig took off in his DY + 1 proving he already doesn't look out of place in the AHL, then going back and crushing in the WHL, if he can pack on a bit more size he is going to rocket up our depth charts imo. This kid is the real deal, and I say that as a huge fan of Formenton too.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Really like both players.. going Formenton for what he's done that Greig still just wants /hopes to do and for what Formenton becomes when he puts it all together.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I like Greig but I'm going with Forms here based on level on certainty and the uniqueness of the player. Speed like his is just so rare. Throw in his chippy style and the fact that he showed nice touch at the AHL level and his ceiling is super high.

Look forward to seeing both on the Sens in the future, especially as skilled PKers, but Formenton is pretty easily my pick here. Right now at least.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Formenton can put on 25 lbs of muscle over the next few yrs he will be a force in the NHL with that speed, size & nastiness he can play with at times. He just needs to be more consistent with it & that will come with the additional weight & muscle & if he can develop a scoring touch like Krieder he will turn into a pretty good player for them in this system.

I like Greig, he reminds of a Gallagher type of pest, but I always have a hard time seeing where he fits in at centre or on LW. Ottawa has plenty of LWs so there is no need for him there, he's not passing Tkachuk or Stutzle & most think he is behind Formenton including me. The only one I can see him replacing is White if & when Greig also adds a ton of weight & muscle, but he will also have to outscore White to win that spot. I think Greig is in tough to make the team anytime soon, but it will be interesting to see his progression or whether they end up packaging him to upgrade a need.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
If Formenton can figure out how to finish on his breakaways and put the puck in the net, he'd be the better pick. For now, I'd go with Greig based on potential and position.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
He's 3 years older than Greig so he better have a higher floor, not sure how he has a higher ceiling though,

Fair. Might be too early to judge Grieg. I just think his size will be a detriment in terms of what he can become.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad