Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #8

Who is the Sens #8 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens Board Prospects Final Ranking 2020

1- Tim Stützle (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #1)
2- Jake Sanderson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #2)
3- Drake Batherson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #3)
4- Josh Norris (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #4)
5- Erik Brannstrom (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #5)
6- Logan Brown (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #6)
7- Jacob Bernard-Docker (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #7)
8-
9-
10-

Prospects to be added :

Max Lajoie
Kevin Mandolese
Jonathan Davidsson
Jonny Tychonick
Maxence Guénette
Parker Kelly
Olle Alsing
Mark Kastelic
Jean-Christophe Beaudin
Jakov Novak
Jonathan Aspirot
Leevi Merilainen
Eric Engstrand
Philippe Daoust
Cole Reinhardt
Michael Carcone
Viktor Lodin
Luke Loheit

As we have been doing since 2004, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o)

NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future

I have removed prospects who graduated (Jaros, Wolanin, Hogberg, Paul, Zub), were traded (Gruden) or not qualified (Hawryluk, Englund)

Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, array of shots, leadership qualities, size/strenght, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA in priority among these players?

Try to do some research on the kids, particularly the new ones. People can post links and videos about some of the prospects that should be voted soon

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I went with Pinto...but only because I am not sure how Formenton's game will translate at the NHL level, definitely a boom or bust type.

Pinto on the other hand plays a style that I think will make him a solid 3rd line center in this league.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I went with Pinto...but only because I am not sure how Formenton's game will translate at the NHL level, definitely a boom or bust type.

Pinto on the other hand plays a style that I think will make him a solid 3rd line center in this league.

Formenton is among the farthest prospects from boom or bust that we ever had.

He was basically a "blue chip 3rd liner" from the moment he was drafted. What is nice is that he has developed quite nicely and seems to be headed to be more than that.

I remember being a fan back in 2010. This prospect pool is night and day from that. It's almost insane.

Our best prospect back then was Jim O'Brien...

No, JOB was 16th. He was 6th in 2009 and 5th in 2008, being a recent 1st round pick. We weren't rebuilding so really didn't have pools comparable as of now. It's pretty normal.

Prospects of 2010
1. Jared Cowen
2. David Rundblad (he disappointed but still brought back Kyle Turris)
3. Patrick Wiercioch
4. Robin Lehner
5. Andre Petersson
6. Zack Smith
7. Jakob Silfverberg
8. Roman Wick
9. Bobby Butler
10. Eric Gryba
11. Mike Hoffman
12. Jakob Culek
13. Kaspars Daugavins
14. Derek Grant
15. Louie Caporusso
16. Jim O'Brien
17. Cody Bass
18. Erik Condra
19. Corey Cowick
20. Chris Wideman
21. Colin Greening
22. David Dziurzynski
23. Markus Sorensen
24. Mark Stone
25. Ben Blood

2010 was a pretty good prospect pool after 2 great drafts in 2008 and 2009. Didn't have many picks in 2010 but still landed Stone and Sorensen (who we didn't keep though). Some of the guys at the top really disappointed but some others really boomed.

My biggest disappointment ever is Andre Petersson. I have no idea how a guy with that talent wasn't a good NHLer. I guess it's because dedication and desire is even more important than talent.

All the past rankings (2016 and older)

2016 Senators Prospects Top 30 + Past Rankings

Or our next great goalie prospect: Jeff Glass :help:

Jeff Glass was from a different generation, ranked 7th in 2006 and 9th in 2005

Note that prior 2008, the Sens prospect pool was a result of Muckler's drafting, and some of the best prospects (ex : Vermette) weren't even drafted by Muckler... Note how it became much stronger after Murray took over.

Muckler's drafting (on top of other decisions) is probably the biggest reason why the team started regressing in 2008. You always need to inject new cheaper talent, particularly for a small canadian market that doesn't attract good UFAs very often.

The prospect pool is the most important thing for the Ottawa Senators. It should be for every NHL team, but for some teams it's even more essential than others.

Last edited:

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Formenton is the exact opposite of boom or bust

Agreed. About as safe as anyone to be at minimum a bottom 6 forward in the NHL. I think his ceiling is higher but he's almost assured of being a regular.

Formenton is among the farthest prospects from boom or bust that we ever had.

He was basically a "blue chip 3rd liner" from the moment he was drafted. What is nice is that he has developed quite nicely and seems to be headed to be more than that.

No, JOB was 16th. He was 6th in 2009 and 5th in 2008, being a recent 1st round pick. We weren't rebuilding so really didn't have pools comparable as of now. It's pretty normal.

Prospects of 2010
1. Jared Cowen
2. David Rundblad (he disappointed but still brought back Kyle Turris)
3. Patrick Wiercioch
4. Robin Lehner
5. Andre Petersson
6. Zack Smith
7. Jakob Silfverberg
8. Roman Wick
9. Bobby Butler
10. Eric Gryba
11. Mike Hoffman
12. Jakob Culek
13. Kaspars Daugavins
14. Derek Grant
15. Louie Caporusso
16. Jim O'Brien
17. Cody Bass
18. Erik Condra
19. Corey Cowick
20. Chris Wideman
21. Colin Greening
22. David Dziurzynski
23. Markus Sorensen
24. Mark Stone
25. Ben Blood

2010 was a pretty good prospect pool after 2 great drafts in 2008 and 2009. Didn't have many picks in 2010 but still landed Stone and Sorensen (who we didn't keep though). Some of the guys at the top really disappointed but some others really boomed.

My biggest disappointment ever is Andre Petersson. I have no idea how a guy with that talent wasn't a good NHLer. I guess it's because dedication and desire is even more important than talent.

All the past rankings (2016 and older)

2016 Senators Prospects Top 30 + Past Rankings

Jeff Glass was from a different generation, ranked 7th in 2006 and 9th in 2005

Note that prior 2008, the Sens prospect pool was a result of Muckler's drafting, and some of the best prospects (ex : Vermette) weren't even drafted by Muckler... Note how it became much stronger after Murray took over.

Muckler's drafting (on top of other decisions) is probably the biggest reason why the team started regressing in 2008. You always need to inject new cheaper talent, particularly for a small canadian market that doesn't attract good UFAs very often.

The prospect pool is the most important thing for the Ottawa Senators. It should be for every NHL team, but for some teams it's even more essential than others.

Obviously "boom or bust" was a poor choice of words and I should clarify as sometimes I tend to forget that my thought processes are my own and that others cannot read them if I do not express then concisely.

What I meant was in the context of this ranking, Formenton is being ranked as our 5th best forward prospect. That is high praise and basically means he should slot into our top 6 in the future.

So when I called him a "boom or bust" was more because I do not see him as a top 6 with certainty but I can also accept that he has all the tools to be a top 3 forward too.

If he "busts", I meant that he would fit in longer term in our bottom 6, and not that I meant to insinuate he would "bust" and not make the team.

Obviously poor wording and context support on my end.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Obviously "boom or bust" was a poor choice of words and I should clarify as sometimes I tend to forget that my thought processes are my own and that others cannot read them if I do not express then concisely.

What I meant was in the context of this ranking, Formenton is being ranked as our 5th best forward prospect. That is high praise and basically means he should slot into our top 6 in the future.

So when I called him a "boom or bust" was more because I do not see him as a top 6 with certainty but I can also accept that he has all the tools to be a top 3 forward too.

If he "busts", I meant that he would fit in longer term in our bottom 6, and not that I meant to insinuate he would "bust" and not make the team.

Obviously poor wording and context support on my end.

It's very hard to always use the right words, and sometimes it really doesn't work for some people so you end up having to explain yourself. I often type a lot of words when making a post and I don't want to spend all day doing it so it goes very fast. I re-read what I wrote to correct a few things but still trying to go fast. There's many other things I need to take care of, can't only feed my passion

You meant Formenton still has a high ceiling and a lower floor than most maybe? He could be anywhere from 1st liner to 4th liner?

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
It's very hard to always use the right words, and sometimes it really doesn't work for some people so you end up having to explain yourself. I often type a lot of words when making a post and I don't want to spend all day doing it so it goes very fast. I re-read what I wrote to correct a few things but still trying to go fast. There's many other things I need to take care of, can't only feed my passion

You meant Formenton still has a high ceiling and a lower floor than most maybe? He could be anywhere from 1st liner to 4th liner?

Yes exactly, in my opinion his ceiling is a top line winger and his floor is probably a 4th line energy winger because of his speed and tenacity. My only concern is will he be able to translate his offensive skill to the big league.

So boom or bust in the context of we either have a really good top 5 forward prospect, or at worst, we get a little disappointed but he finds a role the way Zack Smith did for a while here.

I voted for Pinto because I think he is the more safe choice and plays a style that I think will make him successful at the NHL level, but his ceiling is more of a 2nd line center and his floor is probably 4th line center, maybe worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad