Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #25

Who is the Sens #25 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
1- Tim Stuetzle (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #1)
2- Jake Sanderson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #2)
3- Drake Batherson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #3)
4- Josh Norris (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #4)
5- Erik Brannstrom (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #5)
6- Logan Brown (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #6)
7- Jacob Bernard-Docker (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #7)
8- Alex Formenton (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #8)
9- Shane Pinto (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #9)
10- Ridly Greig (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #10)
11- Roby Jarventie (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #11)
12- Rudolfs Balcers (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #12)
13- Vitali Abramov (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #13)
14- Joey Daccord (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #14 TIE BREAK)
15- Lassi Thomson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #15)
16- Egor Sokolov (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #16)
17- Tyler Kleven (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #17)
18- Filip Chlapik (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #18)
19- Mads Søgaard (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #19)
20- Filip Gustavsson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #20)
21- Max Lajoie (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #21)
22- Kevin Mandolese (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #22)
23- Angus Crookshank (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #23)
24- Maxence Guénette (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #24)
25-

Prospects to be added :

Jakov Novak
Jonathan Aspirot
Eric Engstrand
Jean-Christophe Beaudin
Olle Alsing
Cole Reinhardt
Michael Carcone
Viktor Lodin
Luke Loheit

As we have been doing since 2004, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o)

NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future

I have removed prospects who graduated recently (Jaros, Wolanin, Hogberg, Paul, Zub), were traded (Gruden) or not qualified (Hawryluk, Englund)

Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, array of shots, leadership qualities, size/strenght, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA in priority among these players?

Try to do some research on the kids, particularly the new ones. People can post links and videos about some of the prospects that should be voted soon

Also, leaving the link of pre-2017 polls if anyone wants to bookmark the page

2016 Senators Prospects Top 30 + Past Rankings

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
ok but who would you vote him above?

I'd probably have him in the 17-20 range. Ahead of Kleven, Chlapik, Sogaard, Crookshank and Guenette. I don't expect these guys to be NHLers (Kleven I'm less sure about, Chlapik might eek out a cup of coffee)

I think it's close with Mandolese, Lajoie and Gus as guys who might become NHLers.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd probably have him in the 17-20 range. Ahead of Kleven, Chlapik, Sogaard, Crookshank and Guenette. I don't expect these guys to be NHLers (Kleven I'm less sure about, Chlapik might eek out a cup of coffee)

I think it's close with Mandolese, Lajoie and Gus as guys who might become NHLers.

He's 23 years old, same age as Chlapik and was definately below Chlapik on the depth chart in Belleville last year. Chlapik has transitioned to the NHL level better so far as well. I don't disagree that he might be a little underatted after a down season, but it's hard to justify him being ahead of Chlapik imo.

Goalies are unpredictable so ignoring them, i might have Davidsson ahead of crookshank and Guunette, but i see him on a similar level to Lajoie if lajoie can get his mibility back to where it was prior to his hernia(or was it hip) surgery.

Reactions: Prajna

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
He's 23 years old, same age as Chlapik and was definately below Chlapik on the depth chart in Belleville last year. Chlapik has transitioned to the NHL level better so far as well. I don't disagree that he might be a little underatted after a down season, but it's hard to justify him being ahead of Chlapik imo.

Goalies are unpredictable so ignoring them, i might have Davidsson ahead of crookshank and Guunette, but i see him on a similar level to Lajoie if lajoie can get his mibility back to where it was prior to his hernia(or was it hip) surgery.
I give him a pass for the injury games missed last season. I still feel like davidsson hasn't had a solid opportunity in North America yet.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Of course, it's a matter of opinions and personal belief so there's no "wrong answer" here but always interesting to discuss prospects. Sorry about the long post, as everybody should know I love spreading info.

I think Sogaard (37th OA in 2019) and Kleven (44th OA in 2020) have been voted above in the pool because of pure potential and as recent 2nd round picks. Sens traded up for both, which means they were high on them. Sure, they could be wrong (as they were with Gagne for example) but those 2 guys are huge and have very good potential

1) Sogaard is 6'7 as a 19 y/o goalie. He didn't have a great season last year, actually worse statistically than his draft year season but still has very high potential. He's really athletic and quick, which is a great combo for a goalie that size. Until he stalls in his development (like Gustvasson did for example), I'll be relatively high on him. My wildest hope for him is that he breaks out into a Pekka Rinne.

2) Kleven is like 6'4 and 200 lbs at 18 y/o lol, he's already extremely physical for his age (and as we saw in the last playoffs, it's still very important), and the good thing about him is that he is quite mobile and has raw skills. There's a bit of a misconception that has developped on draft day that he is a 3rd pair defensive D-man at best that can't move the puck to save his life. But if you listen to coaches and people following college hockey, he has potentially a lot more to offer. Maybe if he puts in the work and dedication, he develops the way Cowen should have developed. He actually reminds me a bit of the Cowen mobile version pre-injuries. People only remember Cowen fall from grace but if that guy could have been mobile enough and play a simple game, he was extremely intimidating always using his size and reach (basically could have been a lesser version of Chara), like a much more imposing Boro but who would actually destroy his opponents in fights

3) Crookshank, I could see why as he is still relatively unknown. He has been playing on a bad team that was kinda starving offensively, so he doesn't get much "help" (he has more NCAA career goals than assists lol), He was 2nd in scoring on his team in his D+1 college rookie season (1 point less than leading scorer) and their best goal scorer in his D+2 season. The reviews on him have been relatively good. My hope is that he becomes a smilar level player as Dzingel, not as blazing fast but more feisty. Here's what was said 2 years ago just after being drafted :

"Angus is a skilled player with a high compete level and an ability to find the back of the net. He has a strong work ethic and tremendous upside." Mike Souza, UNH Head Coach

"He scores big goals and has the ability to make big plays too." Bobby Strum, Ottawa Senators Amateur Scout

"Sturdy, fearless forward with good hands and a nose for the net who can finish in a variety of ways." Steve Kournianos, The Draft Analyst

And an interesting recent article :

Ottawa Senators Prospects: Angus Crookshank Stars for New Hampshire

4) Maxence Guenette is interesting. He is kinda "breaking out" right now. His stats were already good in his draft year and D+ season but his overall play has improved a lot and is now considered a top D-man in the Q. Sure he'll have to prove it in the pros but so far his development curve has been great. If he continues on that progression path, things are boding well for him.

Article on him, but in french though. I traducted the most important quote, coming from his coach

Maxence Guénette veut aider les Foreurs pour impressionner les Sénateurs

"He's the leader of the defensive group on that team and he can play every role. He's the power play quarterback, he plays important minutes against the best lines. I like him because he's very reliable on the ice, you can use him in any situation. He has very good feet, very explosive. And I did not know it before knowing him, but he has a quality wrist shot, which he manages to unleash very quickly. He has added a few pounds of muscle to his frame, without sacrificing mobility."

5) Finally Chlapik, he has a much better track record in NA pro hockey. Granted, Davidsson had concussions issues so he didn't really have the opportunity to prove himself but as it is often the case for hockey players, injuries derail a lot of careers. Sure, he still has time to "bounce back from injury" but he is now less likely to make the NHL because of it and also the lost development time. They both have the same age and are in their last contract year, then RFA. Chlapik hasn't had concussion issues to deal with so he is clearly ahead on the depht chart. He has also looked quite decent in the NHL, to be at least 4th line quality. At the moment, I am much more confident in Chlapik playing significantly more games in the NHL than Davidsson.

Sure, Jonathan still has time to turn things around and re-establish himself as a legit NHL prospect but he'll have to do it fast, he's going to be 24 y/o soon. The first thing is you gotta hope that he fully recovered. It kinda sucks for him, his stats in the SHL and his situation in pre-season with Columbus made him quite likely to make the NHL but things change very fast for young hokey players, particularly with significant injuries.

6) You also mentionned Mandolese, Lajoie and Gus

Mandolese, I had a good feeling about him since the beginning. I had more faith in him than Gustavsson as soon as I saw them play in the same games. Hasn't played pro yet because of covid but has progressed very nicely since being drafted.

Gustavsson, not really a big believer in him and he hasn't progressed much if at all since turning pro. I understand if some people still have faith in him. Goalies are "voodoo" and he is still young enough to turn things around. But if he doesn't do it in the near future, I think he will approach the "long shot" zone.

Lajoie already played in the NHL (and looked quite decent until injury), so even if he doesn't play in the NHL anymore, he might still have played more games than Davidsson at the NHL level. Not sure about his future at the moment. Need to see him play, but there has been no pro NA hockey for a while

7) Conclusion : I don't see the arguments Davidsson would have above many of them. I did say good things about him recently and that we shouldn't automatically count him out but I think it's normal he's being voted here because of the quality of prospects already voted and the shitty hand he has been dealt with.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Chlapik played 31 games last year and looked like he belonged. It wasnt the same situation for Davidsson... They both played plenty of games last year one looked like an nhl player the other looked like he didnt want to go to the middle of the ice.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Of course, it's a matter of opinions and personal belief so there's no "wrong answer" here but always interesting to discuss prospects. Sorry about the long post, as everybody should know I love spreading info.

I think Sogaard (37th OA in 2019) and Kleven (44th OA in 2020) have been voted above in the pool because of pure potential and as recent 2nd round picks. Sens traded up for both, which means they were high on them. Sure, they could be wrong (as they were with Gagne for example) but those 2 guys are huge and have very good potential

1) Sogaard is 6'7 as a 19 y/o goalie. He didn't have a great season last year, actually worse statistically than his draft year season but still has very high potential. He's really athletic and quick, which is a great combo for a goalie that size. Until he stalls in his development (like Gustvasson did for example), I'll be relatively high on him. My wildest hope for him is that he breaks out into a Pekka Rinne.

2) Kleven is like 6'4 and 200 lbs at 18 y/o lol, he's already extremely physical for his age (and as we saw in the last playoffs, it's still very important), and the good thing about him is that he is quite mobile and has raw skills. There's a bit of a misconception that has developped on draft day that he is a 3rd pair defensive D-man at best that can't move the puck to save his life. But if you listen to coaches and people following college hockey, he has potentially a lot more to offer. Maybe if he puts in the work and dedication, he develops the way Cowen should have developed. He actually reminds me a bit of the Cowen mobile version pre-injuries. People only remember Cowen fall from grace but if that guy could have been mobile enough and play a simple game, he was extremely intimidating always using his size and reach (basically could have been a lesser version of Chara), like a much more imposing Boro but who would actually destroy his opponents in fights

3) Crookshank, I could see why as he is still relatively unknown. He has been playing on a bad team that was kinda starving offensively, so he doesn't get much "help" (he has more NCAA career goals than assists lol), He was 2nd in scoring on his team in his D+1 college rookie season (1 point less than leading scorer) and their best goal scorer in his D+2 season. The reviews on him have been relatively good. My hope is that he becomes a smilar level player as Dzingel, not as blazing fast but more feisty. Here's what was said 2 years ago just after being drafted :

"Angus is a skilled player with a high compete level and an ability to find the back of the net. He has a strong work ethic and tremendous upside." Mike Souza, UNH Head Coach

"He scores big goals and has the ability to make big plays too." Bobby Strum, Ottawa Senators Amateur Scout

"Sturdy, fearless forward with good hands and a nose for the net who can finish in a variety of ways." Steve Kournianos, The Draft Analyst

And an interesting recent article :

Ottawa Senators Prospects: Angus Crookshank Stars for New Hampshire

4) Maxence Guenette is interesting. He is kinda "breaking out" right now. His stats were already good in his draft year and D+ season but his overall play has improved a lot and is now considered a top D-man in the Q. Sure he'll have to prove it in the pros but so far his development curve has been great. If he continues on that progression path, things are boding well for him.

Article on him, but in french though. I traducted the most important quote, coming from his coach

Maxence Guénette veut aider les Foreurs pour impressionner les Sénateurs

"He's the leader of the defensive group on that team and he can play every role. He's the power play quarterback, he plays important minutes against the best lines. I like him because he's very reliable on the ice, you can use him in any situation. He has very good feet, very explosive. And I did not know it before knowing him, but he has a quality wrist shot, which he manages to unleash very quickly. He has added a few pounds of muscle to his frame, without sacrificing mobility."

5) Finally Chlapik, he has a much better track record in NA pro hockey. Granted, Davidsson had concussions issues so he didn't really have the opportunity to prove himself but as it is often the case for hockey players, injuries derail a lot of careers. Sure, he still has time to "bounce back from injury" but he is now less likely to make the NHL because of it and also the lost development time. They both have the same age and are in their last contract year, then RFA. Chlapik hasn't had concussion issues to deal with so he is clearly ahead on the depht chart. He has also looked quite decent in the NHL, to be at least 4th line quality. At the moment, I am much more confident in Chlapik playing significantly more games in the NHL than Davidsson.

Sure, Jonathan still has time to turn things around and re-establish himself as a legit NHL prospect but he'll have to do it fast, he's going to be 24 y/o soon. The first thing is you gotta hope that he fully recovered. It kinda sucks for him, his stats in the SHL and his situation in pre-season with Columbus made him quite likely to make the NHL but things change very fast for young hokey players, particularly with significant injuries.

6) You also mentionned Mandolese, Lajoie and Gus

Mandolese, I had a good feeling about him since the beginning. I had more faith in him than Gustavsson as soon as I saw them play in the same games. Hasn't played pro yet because of covid but has progressed very nicely since being drafted.

Gustavsson, not really a big believer in him and he hasn't progressed much if at all since turning pro. I understand if some people still have faith in him. Goalies are "voodoo" and he is still young enough to turn things around. But if he doesn't do it in the near future, I think he will approach the "long shot" zone.

Lajoie already played in the NHL (and looked quite decent until injury), so even if he doesn't play in the NHL anymore, he might still have played more games than Davidsson at the NHL level. Not sure about his future at the moment. Need to see him play, but there has been no pro NA hockey for a while

7) Conclusion : I don't see the arguments Davidsson would have above many of them. I did say good things about him recently and that we shouldn't automatically count him out but I think it's normal he's being voted here because of the quality of prospects already voted and the shitty hand he has been dealt with.
I agree with most of this.

I just see Davidsson as a guy that hasn't had a shot to prove himself as a sens prospect between the injuries and the transition to NA. His play in Sweden showed some good wheels, good hands and passing and just generally good offensive instincts. You can see a bit of "silfverberg lite" in those clips, although he's less of a sniper and not quite as fast.

I've got the same criticism of davidsson as i had of silf when he first came over though: doesn't engage enough and too much of a "big ice" Euro player. But on pure talent i think he's a good step above Chlappy, so i put his ceiling a bit higher. They're really different players though so hard to compare.

The team gave Davidsson NHL games, which kind of says a lot about where they see his potential. Pretty good for a 25th best prospect.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I agree with most of this.

I just see Davidsson as a guy that hasn't had a shot to prove himself as a sens prospect between the injuries and the transition to NA. His play in Sweden showed some good wheels, good hands and passing and just generally good offensive instincts. You can see a bit of "silfverberg lite" in those clips, although he's less of a sniper and not quite as fast.

I've got the same criticism of davidsson as i had of silf when he first came over though: doesn't engage enough and too much of a "big ice" Euro player. But on pure talent i think he's a good step above Chlappy, so i put his ceiling a bit higher. They're really different players though so hard to compare.

The team gave Davidsson NHL games, which kind of says a lot about where they see his potential. Pretty good for a 25th best prospect.

Yup, Davidsson hasn't been lucky, long term injury then covid, lost a lot of crucial development time, but yeah he can still turn things around.

But he's a better skater than Silfverberg, or at least he was. Silf is a good all around player with a great shot but he isn't fast or quick.

Also, don't think Davidsson is more talented than Chlapik. Filip is no slouch.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Yup, Davidsson hasn't been lucky, long term injury then covid, lost a lot of crucial development time, but yeah he can still turn things around.

But he's a better skater than Silfverberg, or at least he was. Silf is a good all around player with a great shot but he isn't fast or quick.

Also, don't think he's more talented than Chlapik. Filip is no slouch.
It's weird i remember silf as having really good wheels. I guess my memory kind of sucks. Regardless, it's a good sign that we're discussing nhl potential of guys this low on our prospect depth. It's a big logjam for davidsson to get a shot here, but he's my darkhorse to surprise this year.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Holy crap a 19th overall pick from 1 year ago is 15th on your board? and he had 13 points in 39 games as a 19 year old dman. He must be baaaaadddddd defensively?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's weird i remember silf as having really good wheels. I guess my memory kind of sucks. Regardless, it's a good sign that we're discussing nhl potential of guys this low on our prospect depth. It's a big logjam for davidsson to get a shot here, but he's my darkhorse to surprise this year.

He's not slow but not fast at all, maybe you remember more the Sweden highlights on bigger ice. If he was faster and quicker, then he might have been a legit top-6 forward.

I remember in his rookie year, I was kinda worried about his execution quickness.

Holy crap a 19th overall pick from 1 year ago is 15th on your board? and he had 13 points in 39 games as a 19 year old dman. He must be baaaaadddddd defensively?

Apparently he's better defensively now but doesn't do anything offensively anymore. Might have something to do with opportunity too. Valimaki has been their guy, Thomson erased himself and got buried

He's a guy that needs to come to NA. He was supposed to play in Belleville

He needs to turn things around because there's more prospects that could start proving themselves and leapfrog him as well (Kleven, Sokolov for example)

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He's not slow but not fast at all, maybe you remember more the Sweden highlights on bigger ice. If he was faster and quicker, then he might have been a legit top-6 forward.

I remember in his rookie year, I was kinda worried about his execution quickness.

Apparently he's better defensively now but doesn't do anything offensively anymore. Might have something to do with opportunity too. Valimaki has been their guy, Thomson erased himself ad got burried

He's a guy that needs to come to NA. He was supposed to play in Belleville

He needs to turn things around because there's more prospects that could start proving themselves and leapfrog him as well (Kleven, Sokolov for example)

Where's the source on him being better defensively.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Yeah Lassi has been really disappointing so far.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Where's the source on him being better defensively.

I have read a few finnish posters saying that, there's no "source"

At the same time, it's pretty normal if he is better defensively as he plays less and not in an offensive role. Unless he totally forgot how to play hockey (which is possible I guess during a pandemic?), he is buried in the lineup

Anyway, doesn't matter, we'll eventually be able to see what he looks like in AHL games. I have not completely dismiss him or anything, I put him on pause until I see him in NA. I want to see him get minutes and get PP opportunities.

15th is fine for him at the moment, right in the middle of the pool. Could trend up or down for next year

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad