Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #2

Who is the Sens #2 Prospect at the moment?

• Logan Brown

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jacob Bernard-Docker

• Alex Formenton

• Ridly Greig

• Shane Pinto

• Lassi Thomson

• Roby Jarventie

• Tyler Kleven

• Joey Daccord

• Angus Crookshank

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Norris is great. He's not at a level of Stuetzle or Sanderson. Not many in the league are. Maybe 1/2 prospects in the past 15 years has been after being drafted by the Sens.

If we are talking currently then definitely Norris is up there, I actually voted for him. My top 5 is as follows:

1. Stützle
2. Jorris
3. Sanderson
4. Batherosn
5. Brannstrom

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If we are talking currently then definitely Norris is up there, I actually voted for him. My top 5 is as follows:

1. Stützle
2. Jorris
3. Sanderson
4. Batherosn
5. Brannstrom
Sure, that's fine, opinions are opinions. Think any list not having Sanderson 2nd is off by quite a bit. Norris is great, but he's not a top line prospect, him becoming a top line guy would be exceeding his expectations.

If anyone wouldn't have traded Norris for the 5th, not sure what to say

Reactions: Micklebot

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Sure, that's fine, opinions are opinions. Think any list not having Sanderson 2nd is off by quite a bit. Norris is great, but he's not a top line prospect, him becoming a top line guy would be exceeding his expectations.

If anyone wouldn't have traded Norris for the 5th, not sure what to say

What tips the scale for me is that Norris has proven he can play at the pro level---and play really well. Sanderson has had only a few months where he really elevated his game to become top of the class of 2020. He is definitely worthy of a top 5 pick, but right now I have personally not seen enough of him to place him above Norris.

Same goes for Stutzle but he is just on another level and I am so happy we drafted him (also he played against men).

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What tips the scale for me is that Norris has proven he can play at the pro level---and play really well. Sanderson has had only a few months where he really elevated his game to become top of the class of 2020. He is definitely worthy of a top 5 pick, but right now I have personally not seen enough of him to place him above Norris.

Same goes for Stutzle but he is just on another level and I am so happy we drafted him (also he played against men).

This is where I’m at, but I’m more than willing to revisit soon.

Reading some impressive stuff about Sanderson in terms of the praise of the NTDP personnel and his status as Captain at that level.

It's a tremendous amount of pressure and stress akin to a WJC team.

A Charlie McAvoy type player on our team would be very welcome.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Not going to try and change anyone's mind, all good to me.

Two completely different level prospects in my mind

Sanderson is closer to Stuetzle than the #3 in the Sens prospects group imo, and quite easily

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Sanderson is closer to Stuetzle than the #3 in the Sens prospects group imo, and quite easily

This is where I'm at too.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Norris could be closer to be worth a 5th OA pick in some drafts but certainly not this year, IMO

The thing to also consider is that teams would rather have the high draft pick because of the "magic bean" effect. Even if a GM is convinced that Norris will end up as a very useful player, he might not want to trade his 5th OA pick because he has a great chance to get an even better player, one of the very best in the draft. GMs might just want to gamble on that.

If we were talking about the 10th OA let's say, then the conversation is very different and some GMs could be tempted to go with the prospect that is NHL ready

Last edited:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I get you. And you've been very high on Sanderson the whole time so it's not unexpected.

I'm sure I'm not in the majority but a guy who has dominated men in the AHL for 2 years like Batherson is closer to a sure thing right now. His upside is still really high too.

I'm sure Sanderson has more value league-wide value but to me Batherson has a better chance at reaching an equally high ceiling so I'm going with him.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
add Zub please...

Jokke Nevalainen said:
A reliable two-way defenseman who will hit and block shots. Not the most talented offensive player but should be able to jump right in to the NHL in 2020-2021.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
USDP's coach Nick Fohre's(famous for his work and development with current star d-man) comments:

"Jake has all the assets -- skating ability, shooting, defending, making reads -- he's really good at all those things," Fohr said. "But what sets him apart, to me, is his internal drive. The elite, elite guys -- the (Sidney) Crosbys, the (Auston) Matthews-types, those guys are driven to be the best player in hockey. Not one of the best. That's a huge difference. Jake is driven to be the best. He doesn't want to be one of the best. He wants to be the best. When a person and player has that type of mindset, the sky is the limit."

NTDP associate coach Nick Fohr oversees the defensemen, and in his nine seasons with the program has worked with several players currently competing in the NHL, including Seth Jones (Columbus Blue Jackets), Zach Werenski (Blue Jackets), Noah Hanifin (Calgary Flames) and Charlie McAvoy (Boston Bruins). He believes Sanderson ranks among that elite group.
"Sandy is right in that mix of the top three guys I've coached here, if not the top guy," Fohr said. "That's still to be determined based on how he develops and where he goes, but this is something we've been talking about since last year. Somebody asked me last season where he'd fit, and I said he's already in my top five and that was as an under-17 player."

thammias

Feb 8, 2006
I get you. And you've been very high on Sanderson the whole time so it's not unexpected.

I'm sure I'm not in the majority but a guy who has dominated men in the AHL for 2 years like Batherson is closer to a sure thing right now. His upside is still really high too.

I'm sure Sanderson has more value league-wide value but to me Batherson has a better chance at reaching an equally high ceiling so I'm going with him.

I think its just people are voting on different criteria.
Some people are voting on better prospect in terms of pedigree and future projection.(Sanderson)
Vs
Better player/prospect at this point in time. (Batherson/Norris)

Obviously the Bathersons and Norris will be better right now with proven successful pro experience under their belt.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I think its just people are voting on different criteria.
Some people are voting on better prospect in terms of pedigree and future projection.(Sanderson)
Vs
Better player/prospect at this point in time. (Batherson/Norris)

Obviously the Bathersons and Norris will be better right now with proven successful pro experience under their belt.

I get that. But what I'm saying is that I think, personally, that Batherson's ceiling is just as high as Sanderson's. And he's closer to fulfilling it than Sanderson due to having proven himself at the AHL level, and then some.

Just my take. While I'm OK with the Sanderson pick I would be ranking players like Raymond or Drysdale above Batherson due to higher ceilings (as I see them).

thammias

Feb 8, 2006
I get that. But what I'm saying is that I think, personally, that Batherson's ceiling is just as high as Sanderson's. And he's closer to fulfilling it than Sanderson due to having proven himself at the AHL level, and then some.

Just my take. While I'm OK with the Sanderson pick I would be ranking players like Raymond or Drysdale above Batherson due to higher ceilings (as I see them).

A lot of people including myself see Sandersons upmost ceiling if everything goes right as Number 1 defenseman potential. I don't think you can get much higher than that unless you think Norris is Number 1 centre material and Batherson is a winger so he is less valuable.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
A lot of people including myself see Sandersons upmost ceiling if everything goes right as Number 1 defenseman potential. I don't think you can get much higher than that unless you think Norris is Number 1 centre material and Batherson is a winger so he is less valuable.

And some people, including myself, see a real possibility that Sanderson ends up as a TJ brodie caliber player. I think his absolute ceiling is Alex Pietrangelo but only as a less valuable LD as opposed to RD.

Batherson's ceiling to me is very high. I see some Mark Scheifele only on the wing, with maybe some Mark Stone thrown in.

Would I rather a Pietrangelo or a Stone/Scheifele? Hard to say so I go with the guy who has been a dominant professional hockey player over the 18 year old prospect who has struggled offensively (for the most part) against second tier 19 year olds.

This is not a slight on Sanderson rather than my opinion that Drake Batherson has a decent chance at being a star winger.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Does anyone think Norris' value has went up so high that any single team would trade the 5th overall pick or better for him?

I think the answer is easily no, which is why I think the answer is easily Sanderson here.

It's not that batherson or Norris aren't great prospects, they just aren't in Sanderson's class, as of current value.

I think I’d prefer Norris over Rossi who was considered by some to be a top 5 pick. It at least puts in in the conversation. Same goes for Quinn.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I think I’d prefer Norris over Rossi who was considered by some to be a top 5 pick. It at least puts in in the conversation. Same goes for Quinn.

I can't safely say that's your bias. Since you named Ottawa players lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad