Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #2

Who is the Sens #2 Prospect at the moment?

• Logan Brown

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jacob Bernard-Docker

• Alex Formenton

• Ridly Greig

• Shane Pinto

• Lassi Thomson

• Roby Jarventie

• Tyler Kleven

• Joey Daccord

• Angus Crookshank

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not one team, Sens included, would trade Sanderson for any of our prospects not named Stutzle. He’s a clear different level prospect.
Give it time and people will warm up to him. I doubt many people have watched a lot of him and guys that don't put up gaudy points need more than highlight reels to be appreciated.

Reactions: BondraTime

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pretty obvious this ones Sanderson. Add Chlapik.
If Sens would draft Holtz or Perfetti one of those guys would be number two for sure in the system.
I mean there is a good debate for either but the Sens didnt so post is redundant. D men are more valuable than Wingere, but were a long way away from knowing who will be the best of that 4 to 12 tier from the draft. You also already contradicted yourself about Sokolov.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sure, that's fine, opinions are opinions. Think any list not having Sanderson 2nd is off by quite a bit. Norris is great, but he's not a top line prospect, him becoming a top line guy would be exceeding his expectations.

If anyone wouldn't have traded Norris for the 5th, not sure what to say
If any team drafting in the top 10 would have traded the pick to the sens for Norris 1 for 1 I would have driven him to the airport my self.

Batherson is also clearly the superior prospect to Norris. For me it starts to get merky at the 4 spot. I personally have Formenton there and Norris 5. L. Brown 6, JBD 7, Brannstrom 8, Greig 9, Sokolov 10.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Not one team, Sens included, would trade Sanderson for any of our prospects not named Stutzle. He’s a clear different level prospect.
I live what Sanderson projects to be. For me I see Norris in a much better light than most here. The kid has literally zero weaknesses and is a shoe in to be at worst an elite #2 who may continue to develop into a #1. His ceiling is Bergeron but I think he will be more like Ryan O’Reilly.

Reactions: The Brady Bunch

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
I agree. Top 3 are pretty clear in my mind (I have Batherson #2 but no issue with Sanderson there), and then the next tier is a bit more murky. I'd have Brannstrom #4, but all of those guys are close (Norris/Brown/JBD/Formenton).

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I live what Sanderson projects to be. For me I see Norris in a much better light than most here. The kid has literally zero weaknesses and is a shoe in to be at worst an elite #2 who may continue to develop into a #1. His ceiling is Bergeron but I think he will be more like Ryan O’Reilly.
Not sure I can agree with Norris being an elite #2 at worst. That's closer to my best case for him.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
I agree on being careful with the Norris projection. At the same age (D+3), Chris Tierney was a ppg player in the AHL like Norris, but cracked the San Jose lineup halfway through the year with 21 points in 43 NHL games. So while it's great to see Norris make an impact in his first AHL year, it's a big leap from a PPG player in the AHL to a scoring line center in the NHL. Many never do it. I am betting Norris is better than Tierney offensively at the NHL level in 3-4 years, but that is no sure thing. He might still end up as just a very good 3rd liner / 2nd liner hybrid, like Tierney. A valuable player, but not necessarily a building block.

To me Tkackuk, Stutzle and Batherson are the only sure fire scoring line top 6 players we know we can build around right now. And Stutzle and Batherson not with out a bit of risk still (although high upside for both). Odds are at least one of Norris, Formenton, Brown and a few others turn into top 6 guys, but not something you can count on. We have great prospect depth at forward, but still need a few prime pieces.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Norris is great. He's not at a level of Stuetzle or Sanderson. Not many in the league are. Maybe 1/2 prospects in the past 15 years has been after being drafted by the Sens.

Realistically if you drafted a guy at fith and he developed identical to Norris you would be fairly happy. The excitement of what the draft pick could be seems push up the rankings to almost unrealistic 'star' status. 5th overall turn out to be average or bust a fair bit.
Struetzle is on a different level than Sanderson. But neither are at the Mathews 1OA level. I hope fans can take it easy on these 2 if they don't end up stars

Reactions: ijif

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Not sure I can agree with Norris being an elite #2 at worst. That's closer to my best case for him.
You may be right but that’s what these boards are for, sharing opinions. I would ask if you see any weaknesses in Norris’ game, you usually have good evils so I’m genuinely curious.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
Realistically if you drafted a guy at fith and he developed identical to Norris you would be fairly happy. The excitement of what the draft pick could be seems push up the rankings to almost unrealistic 'star' status. 5th overall turn out to be average or bust a fair bit.
Struetzle is on a different level than Sanderson. But neither are at the Mathews 1OA level. I hope fans can take it easy on these 2 if they don't end up stars

This is exactly what a Prospect is. It is not what they are, but what they could be that makes them have value. Currently, Sanderson has a much more wide open future. Good floor and exceptional ceiling. Norris has had more a chance to start to prove where he will end up on his own projection and see where that final player will likely end up. In terms of ranking prospects, I think you still look at the projection and the likelihood of meeting it. Sanderson has a good chance of being a special player at this point.

Reactions: BondraTime

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
This is exactly what a Prospect is. It is not what they are, but what they could be that makes them have value. Currently, Sanderson has a much more wide open future. Good floor and exceptional ceiling. Norris has had more a chance to start to prove where he will end up on his own projection and see where that final player will likely end up. In terms of ranking prospects, I think you still look at the projection and the likelihood of meeting it. Sanderson has a good chance of being a special player at this point.

I understand what a prospect is. All I am saying is that 5th overall is being treated like he is projected to be a star player and that isn't the case. The drop from 1st to 5th is large, he is projected to hopefully be a good player and if you get longshot lucky he will be a star.
He should not have the expectations of being a top player .
I am guilty of it with players and prospects also.

Reactions: ijif

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Does anyone think Norris' value has went up so high that any single team would trade the 5th overall pick or better for him?

I think the answer is easily no, which is why I think the answer is easily Sanderson here.

It's not that batherson or Norris aren't great prospects, they just aren't in Sanderson's class, as of current value.
We all know that Sanderson is another of many off board selections. The only reason he was selected that high, because that’s how our bookkeeper Dorion is managing finances for Melnyk. Sanderson is not proven. Sokolov is, playing crucial role in world juniors. So is somehow Batherson.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
I understand what a prospect is. All I am saying is that 5th overall is being treated like he is projected to be a star player and that isn't the case. The drop from 1st to 5th is large, he is projected to hopefully be a good player and if you get longshot lucky he will be a star.
He should not have the expectations of being a top player .
I am guilty of it with players and prospects also.

If you can't project a Top 5 pick (and top defenceman) in what is considered one of the best draft in recent years to become a star, I'm not sure when you can logically projected a star. Only first overall? It is not a longshot he becomes a star, but neither is it guaranteed. If the Sens don't feel he can be a star/#1-2 defenceman, they should have gone with someone else at #5.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If you can't project a Top 5 pick (and top defenceman) in what is considered one of the best draft in recent years to become a star, I'm not sure when you can logically projected a star. Only first overall? It is not a longshot he becomes a star, but neither is it guaranteed. If the Sens don't feel he can be a star/#1-2 defenceman, they should have gone with someone else at #5.
Sens absolutely are projecting a star player, they had him rated 4th for a reason. Had we drafted Rossi/Raymond/Holtz/Drysdale, I'd imagine they'd be viewed as future stars here. We had Sanderson rated higher for a reason, they view him as a better NHLer.

Batherson, Norris and Formenton have proven they are able to play at the Pro level, and that they will be good NHLers, I haven't seen anything from any of our AHLers to project top line or pairing. They are going to be very good, very serviceable guys on the 3rd and 2nd line. Likely have 500+ game careers each, and be productive players.

I'd imagine Formenton will be more valuable to the Sens on our 3rd line, PK1 and PP2 than whatever winger we have on our top line many years he's with the team. He's my 4th in our prospect pool.

I see Batherson as a staple on our 2nd line, with seasons in the 50-60 range.

Norris had a fantastic offensive year, I'm not sure he's going to be an offensive guy at that level in the NHL. I see him as a 2nd C in the 45-55 range. His game away from the puck is great as well, points aren't the only thing that he will be bringing. I'd love for him to become a high end NHLer, I will always cheer for guys with Newfoundland ties.

Belleville had 4 guys over a ppg (Norris, Batherson, Brown, Balcers). I think Batherson and Norris were the two best of that group pretty easily, but I don't think the offensive numbers are going to reflect their offensive numbers in the NHL. We're set if they do.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Sens absolutely are projecting a star player, they had him rated 4th for a reason. Had we drafted Rossi/Raymond/Holtz/Drysdale, I'd imagine they'd be viewed as future stars here. We had Sanderson rated higher for a reason, they view him as a better NHLer.

Batherson, Norris and Formenton have proven they are able to play at the Pro level, and that they will be good NHLers, I haven't seen anything from any of our AHLers to project top line or pairing. They are going to be very good, very serviceable guys on the 3rd and 2nd line. Likely have 500+ game careers each, and be productive players.

I'd imagine Formenton will be more valuable to the Sens on our 3rd line, PK1 and PP2 than whatever winger we have on our top line many years he's with the team. He's my 4th in our prospect pool.

I see Batherson as a staple on our 2nd line, with seasons in the 50-60 range.

Norris had a fantastic offensive year, I'm not sure he's going to be an offensive guy at that level in the NHL. I see him as a 2nd C in the 45-55 range. His game away from the puck is great as well, points aren't the only thing that he will be bringing. I'd love for him to become a high end NHLer, I will always cheer for guys with Newfoundland ties.

Belleville had 4 guys over a ppg (Norris, Batherson, Brown, Balcers). I think Batherson and Norris were the two best of that group pretty easily, but I don't think the offensive numbers are going to reflect their offensive numbers in the NHL. We're set if they do.

My guess is it was also positional. They view a #1 d-man as potentially being a greater impact than a #1 winger. There were no 'clear' #1 centres left with questions about Perfetti and Rossi being centres or wingers. I personally think Perfetti, Raymond and Sanderson were all in a similar tier with Rossi, Drysdale just below. I think Perfetti does become a #1C and liked him at that position (#5) but clearly teams felt he had a higher bust potential. I do think Sanderson was clear and away the best defender in this draft and is basically like drafting Seth Jones at #5.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
add Zub please...

Oops made the poll before reading this but he will be added well before it would make sense to vote him.

Pretty obvious this ones Sanderson. Add Chlapik.

Same

I think its just people are voting on different criteria.
Some people are voting on better prospect in terms of pedigree and future projection.(Sanderson)
Vs
Better player/prospect at this point in time. (Batherson/Norris)

Obviously the Bathersons and Norris will be better right now with proven successful pro experience under their belt.

I talk about this in the OP and how we have to vote based on all factors and not just one (some people used to vote prospects with NHL readiness as their biggest factor, which skews things up)

You go BPA, it's as simple as that. Would you draft Quinton Byfield (who may not be 100% NHL ready) or Alex Formenton?

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Oops made the poll before reading this but he will be added well before it would make sense to vote him.
I would vote for him before a shitload of prospects... NHL ready, hard hitting, shotblocking, Defensive DMan. Reminds me of Volchenkov... (my type of players)

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020

It’s a deep draft, the guys from 6-10 are more likely to be solid NHL players it’s not a draft full of Mcdavid/Hall/seguin types.
And yes that’s why the new draft lotto has so many complaints these days’ without being able to land that number 1 pick it is extremely hard to find star players.
Is that not a thing anymore? Last a checked it was a real thing and a valid complaint

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad