Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2014 (8th)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Jim Nill said it in an interview after the trade. I couldn't find a link but he said something along the lines of 'Bryan Murray really did his homework and insisted that Nick Paul be a part of the trade'. I don't think Dallas wanted to trade him.

I saw Paul a few times in North Bay this past season and he's going to be a really good player. Probably the piece from the Spezza trade I'm most excited about.

I think you're referring to this interview, where he says the following:

Jim Nill said:
"The two young men they got, Alex Guptill, great size, was a big player at Michigan, has got a great scoring touch. And then I think the sleeper in the trade is going to be Nicholas Paul. He played in North Bay. He was a draft pick of our’s. I told Bryan Murray when he made the trade with those players he picked the right guys. I said you’re going to be surprised by Nicholas Paul. They did their homework, so I’ve got to compliment them. It’s a great hockey trade for both sides.â€

I'm not sure saying the less highly touted player in the trade is a sleeper is the same as saying he is the top prospect in the trade. I think most people would be surprised if Paul became more than a 4th line player, where as Guptill has top 6 upside; if that was his expected future role, would he be considered the better prospect? It's hard to say.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Paul could be a player. His numbers are unimpressive, but the fact that he got an invite to the Junior camp says a lot. He also grew quite a bit over the last couple of years, or so I have read.

It could be that he is a late bloomer, we shall see how good their scouting has been.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I forgot Djurgarden got relegated. My bad.

No worries.

In the end, we don't know that much about the prospects, but Claesson started like 25th-30th in the pool, Englund as 8th is a bit premature IMO, let's see after this season at least, he is going to play in the SHL so we'll get a much better idea what he can do, a bit like Wikstrand

Of course he is, he has two extra years of development under his belt.

So it's not a shame at all if Wikstrand was voted before Englund.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So it's not a shame at all if Wikstrand was voted before Englund.

Depends entirely on how you're valuing your criteria/ measurables.

Seems to me that a lot of people here are valuing prospect experience over prospect ceiling. That's entirely within their right, who am I to tell then how they should judge players?

This poll should not be taken seriously at all, regardless of which side you fall on in the "Great Englund/Wikstrand Debate of 2014".

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Depends entirely on how you're valuing your criteria/ measurables.

Seems to me that a lot of people here are valuing prospect experience over prospect ceiling. That's entirely within their right, who am I to tell then how they should judge players?

This poll should not be taken seriously at all, regardless of which side you fall on in the "Great Englund/Wikstrand Debate of 2014".

lol what? you're pushing it a bit :laugh: (but maybe it will become real! :amazed:)

But yeah, it's mainly subjective. But IMO Wikstrand has higher potential and is farther in his development. Only thing Englund has is size and risk factor, seems like a safer bet to reach his potential, but again this is also very subjective.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Another case of the mystery box/shiny toy syndrome.

This describes all prospects.

If Englund can achieve what Vikstrand has achieved already in next 2 years then everyone here would be ecstatic.

Considering Englund is twice Wikstrand's size and projected to be a physical defensive/shutdown defenceman, and "achieving what Wikstrand has achieved" would mean that he adds an effective offensive punch to an otherwise good defensive frame, I would agree with you 100%.

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
If Vilkstrand comes to NA this year, any chance he gets a couple games with the Big squad?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad