Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2014 (23rd)

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Sens Prospect Rankings:

1. Curtis Lazar C 6'0" 203
RTEmagicC_CAN-flag_09.jpg.jpg
(Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL) 58.33%
2. Cody Ceci D 6'3" 209
(Ottawa Senators, NHL) 87.34%
3. Mark Stone RW 6'2" 205
(Binghamton Senators, AHL/Ottawa Senators, NHL) 83.33%
4. Matt Puempel LW 6'1" 205
(Binghamton Senators, AHL) 57.30%
5. Jean-Gabriel Pageau C 5'9" 175
(Binghamton Senators, AHL) 61.00%
6. Fredrik Claesson D 6'0" 209
RTEmagicC_SWE-flag_09.jpg.jpg
(Binghamton Senators, AHL)55.56%
7. Shane Prince C 5'11" 190
RTEmagicC_USA-flag_09.jpg.jpg
(Binghamton Senators, AHL)40.43%
8. Andreas Englund D 6'3" 190
(Djurgarden J20, SEL/Djurgarden, Allsvenskan)27.27%
9. Mikael Wikstrand D 6'1" 185
(Frolunda, SHL)33.01%
10. Ryan Dzingel C 6'0" 188
(Ohio State University, NCAA)32.50%
11. Alex Guptill C 6'3" 175
(U. Of Michigan, NCAA)54.93%
12. Chris Driedger G 6'3" 200
(Calgary Hitmen, WHL)46.43%
13. Marcus Hogberg G 6'5" 209
(Linkoping, J20 SuperElit)36.84%
14. Vincent Dunn LW 5'11" 172
(Val d'Or Foreurs, QMJHL)27.63%
15. Cole Schneider LW 6'1" 197
(Binghamton Senators, AHL)55.00%
16. Nick Paul LW 6'3" 202
(North Bay Battalion, OHL) 37.93%
17. Tobias Lindberg C/RW 6'2" 187
(Djurgarden J20, SEL)41.54%
18. Ben Harpur D 6'6" 214
(Guelph Storm, OHL)29.41%
19. Robert Baillargeon C 6'0" 174
(Boston University, NCAA)43.48%
20. Max McCormick LW 5'11" 185
(Ohio State University, NCAA)36.11%
21. Miles Gendron D 6'1" 181
(The Rivers School, USHS)33.33%
22. Buddy Robinson C 6'5" 235
(Binghamton Senators, AHL)50.00%

Senators Prospects Top 40 (2013) + Past Rankings:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1494213&highlight=

Prospect Criteria:

A player will be considered a prospect until he meets the following criteria:

If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.

An NCAA player who signs his first contract at or above the age of 22 has three years to meet the above criteria (65/45), while those NCAA players that turn pro under the age of 22 will be subjected to
the criteria above.

European players who sign their first NHL contract at or above the age of 22 have three seasons from the time they sign that contract to meet the above criteria. Those European players below the age of 22 that have signed a NHL contract will be subjected to the criteria in section one.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Wideman, only about 10 spots too late!

Meh.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Wideman eventually earns a roster spot on this team, but I'm not expecting much. Perhaps if all goes well he could carve out a decent career as a 5th/6th defenseman, but I don't expect it will be on this team.

Last edited:

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Does Wideman not play the right side? I guess I was just assuming so since he's a RH shot.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't even view Wideman as a prospect. He'll qualify next summer as a group VI UFA if he doesn't play at least 69 NHL games this season...which he won't.

I'll be surprised if he is still in the organization next season. :amazed:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Does Wideman not play the right side? I guess I was just assuming so since he's a RH shot.

Yes, he does. If Ceci or Karlsson go down this year, you can expect Wideman to be called upon.

I don't even view Wideman as a prospect. He'll qualify next summer as a group VI UFA if he doesn't play at least 69 NHL games this season...which he won't.

I don't see this being relevant in this poll. We're selecting the best prospects, are we not? Or is this list "Who will play more games in an Ottawa sweater?" Wideman has a much better chance at a NHL career than many of the players selected ahead of him here. Wideman was one of the best defenseman in the AHL last season making huge strides in his second pro season. We've picked guys like Robinson who was basically a fourth liner on that same club and a guy like Lindberg who had poor numbers in Swedish Junior. It makes no sense really and to be honest I don't think people are voting with their heads here. Schneider and Wideman are ridiculously underrated.

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
I don't see this being relevant in this poll. We're selecting the best prospects, are we not? Or is this list "Who will play more games in an Ottawa sweater?" Wideman has a much better chance at a NHL career than many of the players selected ahead of him here. Wideman was one of the best defenseman in the AHL last season making huge strides in his second pro season. We've picked guys like Robinson who was basically a fourth liner on that same club and a guy like Lindberg who had poor numbers in Swedish Junior. It makes no sense really and to be honest I don't think people are voting with their heads here. Schneider and Wideman are ridiculously underrated.

The odds of Wideman ever playing a game for the Sens are very low, and he will very likely leave the organization next summer as a UFA. To me, this means his prospects for playing for the Sens are virtually nil. Only time will tell, but I suspect he's a career AHLer.

That's fine if you don't think people are 'voting with their heads'...we're all entitled to our opinion, and just because you reiterate yours over and over, it doesn't make it true.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The odds of Wideman ever playing a game for the Sens are very low, and he will very likely leave the organization next summer as a UFA. To me, this means his prospects for playing for the Sens are virtually nil. Only time will tell, but I suspect he's a career AHLer.

That's fine if you don't think people are 'voting with their heads'...we're all entitled to our opinion, and just because you reiterate yours over and over, it doesn't make it true.

I'd like to hear an argument that supports people picking guys like Baillargeon or Lindberg over Wideman. I can say with certainty that 90% of the people that voted for them have never seen them play an actual competitive game. I haven't and I watch a ridiculous amount of lower tier hockey (outside of half a BU game last year while extremely hungover in a Boston hotel room). So, I'm voting for a player that I've actually seen play 50+ games over 2 years and one that's one of the very best on our farm club.

Wideman started with the Elmira Jackels in 2012-13. Put up 18 points in 60 games once called up to Bingo. The next season put up 51 points in 73 games and was one of the most important ingredients on the deadliest powerplay in that league.

Its not even that I'm particularly high on Wideman as a player or prospect, but the absence of logic here is just eating away at me. Its just so obvious from watching him play that he has a career ahead of him and the numbers support that.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I would Say Alex Grant is the first Right Dman on the list to be called up.

I think that'll be an interesting positional battle in camp. Grant is a promising player in his own right. Nice depth we have on that right side. It could get ugly if Karlsson were to get injured but I like the mix we have there top to bottom.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yes, he does. If Ceci or Karlsson go down this year, you can expect Wideman to be called upon.

If Maclean has issues with giving Patrick Wiercioch NHL ice time, a player who is far, far, far better than Wideman, then I don't like Wideman's chances at ever seeing ice time in Ottawa in 2014/15. IMO, multiple injuries will need to occur before he gets into a game for the Big Sens this year. 2 or 3, at least.

You know they'll just move Phillips up a line, and plug in Borowiecki/call up Claessen first. IMO, BOTH Karlsson & Ceci would need to get hurt before Wideman ever got the call up*.

*pending some ridiculous breakout year on Wideman's part, that is.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't understand why some people think this prospect ranking is for their NHL potential in Ottawa ONLY. Many guys could be traded/waived and get NHL experience somewhere else.

If Maclean has issues with giving Patrick Wiercioch NHL ice time, a player who is far, far, far better than Wideman, then I don't like Wideman's chances at ever seeing ice time in Ottawa in 2014/15. IMO, multiple injuries will need to occur before he gets into a game for the Big Sens this year. 2 or 3, at least.[/SIZE]

Thing is that Chris Wideman is a RD and Wiercioch a LD

RD depth is :

Karlsson
Ceci
Gryba
Wideman/Grant

If one the first 3 players or more get injured, Wideman could get called up. But I agree it might take 2 injuries on the main club as they would most likely play someone on his off-side (#budget)

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
If Maclean has issues with giving Patrick Wiercioch NHL ice time, a player who is far, far, far better than Wideman, then I don't like Wideman's chances at ever seeing ice time in Ottawa in 2014/15. IMO, multiple injuries will need to occur before he gets into a game for the Big Sens this year. 2 or 3, at least.

You know they'll just move Phillips up a line, and plug in Borowiecki/call up Claessen first. IMO, BOTH Karlsson & Ceci would need to get hurt before Wideman ever got the call up*.

*pending some ridiculous breakout year on Wideman's part, that is.

Waive Boro, problem solved.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't understand why some people think this prospect ranking is for their NHL potential in Ottawa ONLY. Many guys could be traded/waived and get NHL experience somewhere else.

Thing is that Chris Wideman is a RD and Wiercioch a LD

RD depth is :

Karlsson
Ceci
Gryba
Wideman/Grant

If one the first 3 players or more get injured, Wideman could get called up. But I agree it might take 2 injuries on the main club as they would most likely play someone on his off-side (#budget)

In the case of an injury, I don't think Maclean or Murray cares as much about LD/RD as some people on this board does.

You play the most talented guys. Wiercioch playing his "bad" side is better than Wideman playing his "good" side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad