Sens at Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteLight*

Can we give a shout out to Ovi for trying to get his teammates to stay on the ice for the national anthem.

The guy has proved a lot of haters wrong in the past year, I really want to see him win a cup soon.

Kovalchuk is trash, I'm sorry. You could see it way back when he was playing in Atlanta. No class, showboat, sore loser and sore winner. Hasn't matured one bit

My respect for Ovie has gone up recently. He used to be a bit like Kovalchuk, but he's been great lately. I like him

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Kovalchuk is trash, I'm sorry. You could see it way back when he was playing in Atlanta. No class, showboat, sore loser and sore winner. Hasn't matured one bit

My respect for Ovie has gone up recently. He used to be a bit like Kovalchuk, but he's been great lately. I like him

Agree entirely with everything written here.

I still don't like parts of Ovechkin's game (he still loves him some slewfoot, and he's still occasionally reckless in a dangerous way), but he cares. About the team, about putting the team ahead of himself. He wants to be better, and he wants his team to be better. He's grown into being a real leader. He motivates people to be better.

Skill aside, he's everything Kovalchuk isn't.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
I have never liked Kovalchuk and now I guess people are finally seeing why. He can stay gone from the league.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Is this the first time Spezza has won anything? Took him as the 6th best center on the team to accomplish it as well, seems on par :sarcasm: Lead the tourney in points, skill was never da question with him though.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I'm pretty much the definition of an old fuddy duddy these days (you know it's true because I use terms like fuddy duddy) but I think this leaving the ice incident is being overblown and insinuations are being made that are perhaps undeserved. I do believe it was, for the most part, an honest mistake made when the boards were opened. It made sense at that point to leave, and heck the announcers thought nothing of it... I remember when Anderson left after game seven against the Rangers the announcers were right on it with a, "where's he going?" before he came back. I know you're supposed to stay but I could understand a mistake being made, a miscommunication happening, and in the moment some guys heading one way and some guys another.

When even the head of the IIHF is talking about possible disciplinary action because of it, you know it's more serious than that. He's quoted as saying in 29 years of championships he's been at he's never seen anything like it. These are professional hockey players. This is not their first championship. They know the drill and the drill is always the same. You stay on the ice for the other team's national anthem. It's not an honest mistake, Kovalchuk just thinks he's above the rules.

The Czech announcers mentioned even before in the game the problems the Russians had been causing, complaining about their hotel in Prague and switching to a different one, blocking off the whole hallway by the dressing room they inherited from the Swedes, making other teams have to take a different route, and in general just raining on the goodwill between teams that had been in place until then.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Tavares? Benn? Perry? Toews? Getzlaf? Stamkos?

And you could change out the entire D corps.

TWO guys that played in Sochi were on this team. TWO.

It was Canada B. And it ruined the competition.

To be fair, he did say offensively, and Stamkos if I recall was coming off a shattered ankle, so I'd probably have Giroux or Seguin ahead of him.

Getzlaf, Tavares, Toews, Stamkos, Benn, Perry, Nash, Bergeron, Carter, Kunitz, Marleau, Sharp.

vs

Giroux, Seguin, Hall, Spezza, Mackinnon, Eberle, Toffoli, O'Rielly, Schenn, Ennis, Eakin, Couturier.

Edge still goes to the Olympic team though, but I'd give the WC team the edge in high end offense (assuming I'm correct that Stamkos was coming off that crazy ankle injury).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
WC was a helluva lot more fun to watch compared to the Olympic team, for me anyways.

Having an ultra solid defensive team is nice and all, but man, is it ever boring without some high powered offense.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Spezza got best forward, won his gold finally (after years of playing well for TC when called on) and led the tournament in points? I know he's not one of ours anymore but it's still nice to see that happen for him.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Spezza got best forward, won his gold finally (after years of playing well for TC when called on) and led the tournament in points? I know he's not one of ours anymore but it's still nice to see that happen for him.

Definitely. Spezza was a proud Senator through and through. Any success he gets (as long as it's not at our expense), I'll be happy for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad