"Seniors" that use an intermediate stick

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
As long as you understand how to use each, there's no reason you can't use both senior and intermediate effectively.

I'm 6'2" and 255 lbs, so it's not like I fall between the two. I've got an intermediate Vapor 40, which is 87 flex, and I also have a senior Vapor 60, which is 105 flex.

uh 87 flex is not an intermediate. it's a "regular" flex senior stick.

Reactions: THall4

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
5-7 145 lbs and use an intermediate

I still have to cut it down an inch but I love it because its very whippy, and often times $50 cheaper than their senior counterparts

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
I would for the 65 flex ratings, but I'm too tall, they don't make intermediate sticks long enough, at least, not ones that stay on the shelf long enough for me to find one.

I am 6'7 and use an intermediate Easton S19 with a 65 Flex.

At first I really regretted buying the stick, but I have come to love it.

I had a perfect slapshot a few nights ago with it.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

6'7" with an intermediate is pretty nuts, I assume you have a big plug in that for height, but that thing must be a wet noodle when you shoot or even pass. I like whippy sticks, but even at just 6' tall a 75 flex senior is absolutely as whippy as I will go, some whip is nice, but don't you feel like there's way too much lag when you shoot?

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23

What?
I am 170cm 65kg and I can't even use a 75 flex Rebellion cut down 2dm because it's so soft.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
6'7" with an intermediate is pretty nuts, I assume you have a big plug in that for height, but that thing must be a wet noodle when you shoot or even pass. I like whippy sticks, but even at just 6' tall a 75 flex senior is absolutely as whippy as I will go, some whip is nice, but don't you feel like there's way too much lag when you shoot?

What?
I am 170cm 65kg and I can't even use a 75 flex Rebellion cut down 2dm because it's so soft.

Yeah, I had to put an extension on it. I do like the whippiness of the stick. Like I said, at first I didn't like it. But my backup stick is a 95 flex and I don't like it.

I do think there is a misperception out there, that you have to have a stick that has a higher flex on it.

The S19 by nature is a stiffer stick anyways due to it's tapered design. So really the 65 flex might be more like a 75 or more.

PuckHogs29

Jul 6, 2010
NJ
I love Bauers in 77 flex. Senior shaft thickness, plenty of whip after I cut it down(I'm 5'6). My favorite sticks I've ever used.

I've also heard that Danny Briere, and I'm sure other players, as the season goes on and they lose muscle mass eventually work their way down to lower and lower flexes.

Dinoz

Jan 31, 2011
Batcave
Why is that "complete ********"? A cut down 75 would be about average for someone his height and weight, but a lot of guys shoot better with stiffer sticks, it's not like he's going crazy stiff or anything.

B/c a guy with his height and weight cant get it to flex as much as it should.

a 75 cut down 2 dm will end up around 90 flex a such small guy cant flex that stick properly..

High flex is overrated.

PuckHogs29

Jul 6, 2010
NJ

a 75 cut down 2 dm will end up around 90 flex a such small guy cant flex that stick properly..

High flex is overrated.

For you maybe. There's no set rule, everything about hockey equipment is essentially personal preference. Some guys like more whip and flex, some guys don't. It's that simple.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

High flex is overrated.
For you maybe. There's no set rule, everything about hockey equipment is essentially personal preference. Some guys like more whip and flex, some guys don't. It's that simple.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I know short (5'6"-5'8") guys who played high level (junior A/B) hockey who shoot best with 100 flex sticks cut down to god knows what, then there's people like me who prefer 75 flex sticks at 6'. Some people shoot best with a lot of whip, but some shoot best with a real stiff stick, it's all personal preference and technique. With good technique you should be able to get *some* whip out of a wide range of stick flexes, it just depends how much you like.

Personally I find that I get a bit more power from stiffer (85-100) flex sticks when shooting in warmups/stick and pucks, with 75ish flex sticks just not kicking *quite* as hard (it almost feels like there's a maximum amount of kick I can get with the whippy sticks, if that makes sense, while not matter how hard I lean into stiffer sticks I still feel theres more room to lean harder), but in game situations where it can be harder to shoot with perfect technique due to pressure from the defense I tend to shoot best and most consistently with a 75 flex stick. Under pressure in game I often have to shoot quicker than I'd like, sometimes a bit off balanced, without truly getting my full body/legs into the shot, and with a stiffer stick that can result in a weak or even fluttering shot because I can't get enough flex in those specific situations, but with a 75 flex I can basically always get off a hard shot.

(side note: for those too lazy to check who are more familiar with imperial measurements, a 170cm, 65kg player using a stick cut down 2dm means a 5'7", 145 lb player using a stick cut down almost 8")

Last edited:

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Intermediates are for teenagers, women, and shorter men.

Lighter flex will take less effort to create a bend in the stick, which is what gives you the most velocity in your shot.

I guess we could also lump people into the group who want to minimize their energy by using less effort.

For years Brett Hull used a 65-70 flex stick. He had a wicked wrister. At 5'10 he was an average size NHLer for a day. He might also have been a woman or a teenager, we may never no. All I remember is he kicked the puck in the net during the SCF.

alexthekidd

Nov 18, 2008
London
I love Bauers in 77 flex. Senior shaft thickness, plenty of whip after I cut it down(I'm 5'6). My favorite sticks I've ever used.

I've also heard that Danny Briere, and I'm sure other players, as the season goes on and they lose muscle mass eventually work their way down to lower and lower flexes.

I'm with you. Love the flex they give, these and TPS whip flex.

Don't cut them (6'2) and they're perfect.

Dinoz

Jan 31, 2011
Batcave
I it's all personal preference and technique.

but in game situations where it can be harder to shoot with perfect technique due to pressure from the defense I tend to shoot best and most consistently with a 75 flex stick. Under pressure in game I often have to shoot quicker than I'd like, sometimes a bit off balanced, without truly getting my full body/legs into the shot, and with a stiffer stick that can result in a weak or even fluttering shot because I can't get enough flex in those specific situations, but with a 75 flex I can basically always get off a hard shot.

I totally agree on this.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Just use what you want to use.

One guy on my team is 5'6 150-ish and uses a 100 flex cut down below his chin. He has a good shot, more of a dangler though. Another guy is 6'4 175-ish and uses the exact same stick and flex with a 5" plug. He has a complete bomb of a shot, absolutely devastating. Both have racked up points on the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad