"Seniors" that use an intermediate stick

IslesZoso

Apr 30, 2010
Great Neck, LI
As far as hockey stick classifications go, the words "senior" and "junior" kinda make sense, but I find the designation "intermediate" to be confusing (and rather meaningless). I mean, what does it mean to be an "intermediate" player?

Anyway, as a 46-yr old 175lb 5'9" male, I automatically opted for the senior stick and used that for several months. Then I happened to pick up an intermediate woodie in the shop and somehow, it just felt right. So I took it to the ice and my stickhandling/passing game improved by leaps, and I've stuck to that class of stick ever since.

Even so, when I pick up my intermediate woodies at the pro shop, I've gotten feedback from the "help" who ask me if those sticks are for me or my son. They then proceed to recommend that I should probably be using a senior model, to which I reply with a firm: NO, I use intermediates.

Any other "seniors" out there who go intermediate?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Intermediate is basically a class termed for teenagers, but realistically can fit anybody from like 5'4 to 5'10. Intermediate goalie pads are the same way.

I'm 5'9 and use intermediate sticks and/or pro-radius shafts. Off the top of my head, intermediate sticks are about 3" shorter than their senior counterparts and can have smaller shaft dimensions--My Mission M-1 intermediate is still my favorite stick ever. Not a fan of boxy sticks, so I tend to get a better grip with intermediate sticks.

The other thing is flex which is totally personal preference. I like whippier sticks, so getting a 75 flex intermediate works for me. Other guys buy an 85/100 flex senior and cut it down, which ends up creating an stiffer flex.

Not sure if he still does, but I seem to recall Phil Kessel using 75 flex intermediates when he first broke into the NHL.

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
I've still got an original TPS Response, its in the Intermediate size, and at a 75 flex. However I had to put a plug in it, about 5" long, and that brings the flex somewhere into the noodle range. I like the stick because its light weight and durable, but the shaft is contoured/rounded, and is noticeably smaller than my senior sticks, so when I use it my hands tend to cramp up because I have to grip harder to hang onto the stick. I have been debating selling it, because at 6'3" 200lbs, its a reaching into the useless category. If it works for you then great, there are a couple guys in my beer league who use Intermediate sticks, works for them.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
i have one and im 5'10'' 180lbs...i cut about 2'' off it (was a 75 flex) and i cant get use to it....could be that ive always used a 85flex senior and had to cut like 5'' off it which made it like a 100 flex so the inter. stick feels like a noodle to me...but to the OP's point, if its good for you then that freaking awesome (i wish i could) because you can buy the same stick i buy for cheaper

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
As far as hockey stick classifications go, the words "senior" and "junior" kinda make sense, but I find the designation "intermediate" to be confusing (and rather meaningless). I mean, what does it mean to be an "intermediate" player?

Anyway, as a 46-yr old 175lb 5'9" male, I automatically opted for the senior stick and used that for several months. Then I happened to pick up an intermediate woodie in the shop and somehow, it just felt right. So I took it to the ice and my stickhandling/passing game improved by leaps, and I've stuck to that class of stick ever since.

Even so, when I pick up my intermediate woodies at the pro shop, I've gotten feedback from the "help" who ask me if those sticks are for me or my son. They then proceed to recommend that I should probably be using a senior model, to which I reply with a firm: NO, I use intermediates.

Some hockey shop employees are very knowledgeable and helpful, but most are teenagers being paid minimum wage who won't give you good advice about anything. At 5'9" and 175 lbs a standard flex intermediate (generally 65-70 flex, depending on the brand) is a pretty normal choice if you happen to like whippier sticks with smaller shafts. Most guys at your height/weight will use seniors, but definitely nothing wrong or that unusual with using an intermediate.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
I use INT's as well (5'8, 150 lbs). The thing with using seniors is that where I need to cut those sticks at, I'm looking at like 90+ flex even though I started with a 77 flex stick.

Ideally I'd probably use a 70-75 flex stick at my preferred height but I don't think that's possible.

Anubis79

Jan 8, 2010
I'm somewhere between 5'6 and 5'7 so an Inter sticks works well for me. Even though I'm a big guy I like the whip I get with Inter flex. I don't need to put all my weight into a shot to get velocity. I only play pick-up or tool around at sticktime so everything works for me.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Im 18 years old. 6'0'' 165 and i have always used intermediate. I have not really tried a senior for more than one stick session but i like the intermediate whippy flex. I feel it gives me a little extra pop on my shots(especially slapper). Since i can get all of the possible flex out of the stick which i cannot completely do with a senior. Also the intermediate is absolute perfect height. I can MAYBE add a small plug but i dont have to decrease flex by cutting the stick which i like. No problem with anyone using an intermediate as long as you are not to heavy/strong to break them

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I'm 5'7" 155lbs and I use a Base 65 flex intermediate stick with 3" cut off, so that makes it around 75 flex. I used a cut down senior stick for a long time because I was afraid that an inter shaft would feel too small, but it was always way too stiff. Recently, I decided to give the inter an honest try and there's no turning back now. Compared to a Synergy ST the shaft width is smaller, but front-to-back it's the same size, so it doesn't feel too small. And finally having the right flex has improved my shooting, passing, receiving passes. And it's lighter than a senior stick too.

BTW, Brett hull used a 65 flex stick!

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
I'm somewhere between 5'6 and 5'7 so an Inter sticks works well for me. Even though I'm a big guy I like the whip I get with Inter flex. I don't need to put all my weight into a shot to get velocity. I only play pick-up or tool around at sticktime so everything works for me.

Wait what, since when is 5'6" a big guy? Have you lost your mind? I am 6'3" and feel tiny as hell on the ice some nights.

Anubis79

Jan 8, 2010
Wait what, since when is 5'6" a big guy? Have you lost your mind? I am 6'3" and feel tiny as hell on the ice some nights.

Probably talking about his weight

Haha! Yes, weight-wise. I have a glorious beer-gut but I'm not Jabba-the-Hut large. If you follow the flex to weight "rule" I should be using a 110 flex, but I don't have Atlas' arms and I don't put all my weight on my stick.

izzy3

Dec 3, 2009
I use intermediates too, at 5'8". The length of these sticks is perfect, and a smaller adult can actually use their full flex. I had 2 senior sticks before I accepted the fact, that I am not a hockey senior :laugh: just had to cut them too much and then they were too stiff.

If Ovi uses a 7x flex for his 230 lbs there's nothing wrong to go 6x on your stick if you're under 200 lbs.

mhkehoe

Nov 18, 2010
I use intermediates too, at 5'8". The length of these sticks is perfect, and a smaller adult can actually use their full flex. I had 2 senior sticks before I accepted the fact, that I am not a hockey senior :laugh: just had to cut them too much and then they were too stiff.

If Ovi uses a 7x flex for his 230 lbs there's nothing wrong to go 6x on your stick if you're under 200 lbs.

I've been coming to the same realization that at 5'7" 155lbs, I have to be very careful what hockey sticks I buy because by the time I cut them down to my height, they are way too stiff.

I can use them, but I have to put so much body weight into them that a quick release is not realistic.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I'm 6'1" and use an intermediate stick, I am really skinny though at 170lbs. I actually didn't try getting an intermediate stick until a couple months ago because I wanted something with a really whippy flex. I love it, my stick handling seems to have improved a bit and my shots have gotten a lot better. I've joked about it a few times with other people but nobody else has ever said anything about it.

Triple Deke

Nov 28, 2006
Calgary
Like OP, i'm a shade over 5'9".
I recently purchased a intermediate (70 flex) after using a senior for couple of years (85 flex). Hit an outdoor rink to test it out, and I'm quite satisfied with the switch. Gonna debut it in my beer league next weekend.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
I'm 6' 175lbs and now have two sticks I switch between depending on position.

Reebok 6K intermediate 65 flex as forward which is great for whippy wristers and super light for handling. But I hate it for slapshots, just feels wrong and can't get enough into the shot.

Easton senior 80 flex two piece as defence for point shots, and the bit of extra weight from the wood blade helps with poke checks.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
As long as you understand how to use each, there's no reason you can't use both senior and intermediate effectively.

I'm 6'2" and 255 lbs, so it's not like I fall between the two. I've got an intermediate Vapor 40, which is 87 flex, and I also have a senior Vapor 60, which is 105 flex.

Razzmatazz

Feb 2, 2010

I would for the 65 flex ratings, but I'm too tall, they don't make intermediate sticks long enough, at least, not ones that stay on the shelf long enough for me to find one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad