Value of: Senators UFAs

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
What does Paul bring? Pens fans talking about him in the Pens salary cap thread.

He's a solid third liner that does a bit of everything. He busts his ass every shift, works really hard. Can play center when needed but doesn't excel there, but can sub up to the top 6 wing and not look terrible. Kills penalties. Has a lot of jam. The kinda third liner every team wants to have.

Would much rather keep him than take a second or whatever he might be worth at the deadline.

Same goes for Holden. Like what he brings, a steady veteran presence. But with Sanderson, Bernard-Docker and Thomson all pretty much locks to make the club next season . . . might just not have any room for him.

Reactions: 66-30-33

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
He's a solid third liner that does a bit of everything. He busts his ass every shift, works really hard. Can play center when needed but doesn't excel there, but can sub up to the top 6 wing and not look terrible. Kills penalties. Has a lot of jam. The kinda third liner every team wants to have.

Would much rather keep him than take a second or whatever he might be worth at the deadline.

Same goes for Holden. Like what he brings, a steady veteran presence. But with Sanderson, Bernard-Docker and Thomson all pretty much locks to make the club next season . . . might just not have any room for him.
Thanks, sounds interesting.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

Who's better, Paul or Sanford?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Who's better, Paul or Sanford?

Paul by a massive margin.

Paul plays his role very well - PK, shutdown, cycle - every single night, and would do so on every team in the league. Sanford is just kinda there. Decent 4th liner, but probably redundant on a good amount of teams. Paul would be an upgrade for any team in the league, be it to their 3rd line or their 4th line.

I'd extend Sanford at 1yr 1.5m... I'd give Paul 3-5yrs at ~2.5-3m

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

Paul plays his role very well - PK, shutdown, cycle - every single night, and would do so on every team in the league. Sanford is just kinda there. Decent 4th liner, but probably redundant on a good amount of teams. Paul would be an upgrade for any team in the league, be it to their 3rd line or their 4th line.

Interesting. What about Tierney? He was a promising young player at one point but I heard that he's been on the 4th line at times this year? I'd like the Canucks to target him in the offseason, to shore up the bottom 6 for cheap.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Agreed.

Sanford is weird . . . he's usually not bad, but like you said just sort of always there. But then once in a while he just plays a dynamite game. Scores a hat trick or something.

I like the idea of the Sens keeping him around to rotate around in the bottom 6. But if he wants too much cake, or isn't willing to sign I won't be too sad about grabbing a pick for him.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Interesting. What about Tierney? He was a promising young player at one point but I heard that he's been on the 4th line at times this year? I'd like the Canucks to target him in the offseason, to shore up the bottom 6 for cheap.

Tierny is endlessly frustrating. He's generally pretty soft and has brain farts. But once in a while he looks like a legit top 6 forward.

He wasn't bad in the couple of years after the Karlsson trade, but he's totally checked out and looks nothing like the 40ish point forward he was a couple of seasons ago. A new team might revitalize him though, who knows.

Reactions: elitepete

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

I would put Tierney in the same bin as Sanford, but worse.

He has really fallen off the last two years after two decent seasons. He played all of last year hurt and hasn't looked much better this season. Not physical, not a PKer, just ok on PP, awful in the dot, not a very good skater, doesn't shoot the puck... he has good vision and IQ, so he can slide up the lineup and fill in on the PP... but I think he would be an occasional healthy scratch if we had a fully-healthy lineup.

Gambrell has been better than him by a pretty clear margin. Last year either him or Dadonov were our worst regular forwards and this year I would say he's in the bottom 2 again.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Edmonton will take Forsberg back for future considerations. Thanks.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

Sanford is a clone of Chiasson; less physical, slightly better offensively
Tierney is "eye-roll" type of player; might have one good game a month then disappears.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
You can have Tierney for practically nothing. Maybe a 5th rounder

Sanford for 5th
Paul for 3rd (most valuable on this list)
Forsberg has been good probably 4th
Ennis 7th
Holden 5th (he might re-sign with Ottawa)

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I would put Tierney in the same bin as Sanford, but worse.

He has really fallen off the last two years after two decent seasons. He played all of last year hurt and hasn't looked much better this season. Not physical, not a PKer, just ok on PP, awful in the dot, not a very good skater, doesn't shoot the puck... he has good vision and IQ, so he can slide up the lineup and fill in on the PP... but I think he would be an occasional healthy scratch if we had a fully-healthy lineup.

Gambrell has been better than him by a pretty clear margin. Last year either him or Dadonov were our worst regular forwards and this year I would say he's in the bottom 2 again.

To be fair to Tierney he was a mainstay on the PK in the two seasons prior to this one, he was actually pretty decent at it, but I think the Sens want more speed on the PK so Gambrell took over. When he’s on his game his IQ allows him to just end up in the right spot. Connor Brown develop poing good chemistry with Paul last year knocked him off the first unit.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
You can have Tierney for practically nothing. Maybe a 5th rounder

Sanford for 5th
Paul for 3rd (most valuable on this list)
Forsberg has been good probably 4th
Ennis 7th
Holden 5th (he might re-sign with Ottawa)

Prices for Holden and Paul are low. Holden is worth more than a 5th and even if he's not re-signing, won't be dealt for a 5th.

Price for Forsberg is high.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I need to see the Paul - Pinto - Brown line for a decent stretch.

If that’s the return for him and he would like a chance to stay, I’d much rather just keep him.

Reactions: Altimus

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Still at the beginning of that time frame and I guess you forgot we're in the middle of a global pandemic? What's the point of this comment anyway? To try and put down senators fans?

It’s not even just the pandemic, although I understand it’s probably the most influential reason.

What do they expect us to do? Go out and sign terrible free agent contracts with the Ottawa tax attached to it? Acquire assets with real AAVs to reach the cap ceiling with assets we plan on using?

Dadbod and Murray (lol) signings gives me hope he’s really going to put the best team possible that money can buy in our current situation.

In a perfect world would it be nice to weaponize a bit of the cap to get assets? Sure, but we’ll really know what Eugene is talking about with the upcoming Norris and Stützle negotiations.

The opportunity to spend to the cap hasn’t came yet, they went out to get Dadbod & Murray.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad