Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2015-2016 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
To be clear, I don't think Lazar has no puck skill nor do I think he'd be a better player had he not been rushed.

I just think he'd maybe more confident had he had not be told, as a 19 year old, "you are good enough to be in the NHL" because we all know that wasn't the truth, it was wishful thinking. Well that may be an exaggeration but I could see how going from top line player to bottom 6 when you are told "you are ahead of the curve" could be detrimental from the mental side of things.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
What concerns me about Lazar that not only does he not have the hands, but he doesn't use his body effectively in holding on to the puck.

At least learn to grind Lazar! Hopefully he morphs into a Joel Ward like player for us.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
QMJHL semifinals:

Rouyn-Noranda (Perron) - Moncton (Donaghey)
Shawinigan (Gagne) - Saint John (Chabot)

For the third straight year Sens will have a prospect in Memorial Cup (they won both previous cups).

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You can improve any and all skills at any age. Not saying Lazar will become a magician with the puck, bu he can make improvements with his hands, vision, body positioning, etc, etc. While the biggest leaps in skill development happen when you're young, the learning and refining never, ever stops.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You can improve any and all skills at any age. Not saying Lazar will become a magician with the puck, bu he can make improvements with his hands, vision, body positioning, etc, etc. While the biggest leaps in skill development happen when you're young, the learning and refining never, ever stops.

Vision and IQ can't be improved. You can learn systems and plays, but you aren't going to improve your on ice IQ or vision, especially at his age.

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
Just saw this interview with Christian Jaros:

http://sport.aktuality.sk/c/212635/christian-jaros-na-nhl-este-asi-nemam/

The one big thing from it I got: He has a contract for next season, if out of training camp the team wants him to stay and go to Bingo, he said that he would rather go to Sweden, as he doesn't think he will make the Ottawa roster. "I'd rather stay in Sweden, even though on the farm team, I would be more visible".

I don't know if this will be a factor after his contract with Lulea ends in 2017, but we will have to see.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

The one big thing from it I got: He has a contract for next season, if out of training camp the team wants him to stay and go to Bingo, he said that he would rather go to Sweden, as he doesn't think he will make the Ottawa roster. "I'd rather stay in Sweden, even though on the farm team, I would be more visible".

I don't know if this will be a factor after his contract with Lulea ends in 2017, but we will have to see.

I wonder if it's a "I want to stay home because family & friends & native language" thing, or if it's a "who wants to play hockey in a depressed little podunk nothing town in the middle of nowhere, NY? Not me, that's for sure" thing.

... or a combination of the two?

* (no offence to the Binghamton posters here, just trying to view the situation through the lens of potential future millionaires)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

oh boy....I feel another 'sick relative' excuse coming up....

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Anybody see Gabrial Gagne play this playoffs? 12 points in 11 games with 6 goals, very good stats for him.

He's big and impressed the brass in training camp - but he's supposed to be pretty raw. Anybody have an update?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Anybody see Gabrial Gagne play this playoffs? 12 points in 11 games with 6 goals, very good stats for him.

He's big and impressed the brass in training camp - but he's supposed to be pretty raw. Anybody have an update?

I have not seen him play during these playoffs, but those numbers could be a small indication from an outside perspective anyway, that moving up to draft him seems like the Sens brass knew what they were doing & what they were getting. Hopefully he continues to trend upwards, btw does anyone know if he is he eligible for Bingo next season or will he stay as an overager?

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

I'm betting Dorion moves to nip these issues in the bud. He'll (hopefully) lay out the system he expects to be followed by prospects as they work their way into the organization and learn the Sens systems.

Having Binghamton play basically the same system that Ottawa is using will make a difference so the rookies understand quite clearly when they are called up what their roles are to be and where they can best fit.

I'm thinking Dorion will get this done.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I have not seen him play during these playoffs, but those numbers could be a small indication from an outside perspective anyway, that moving up to draft him seems like the Sens brass knew what they were doing & what they were getting. Hopefully he continues to trend upwards, btw does anyone know if he is he eligible for Bingo next season or will he stay as an overager?

If I remember correctly, the CHL/AHL age rule states that a player must turn 20 by Dec 31st of the season in which he wants to play AHL hockey.

Gagne turns 20 on Nov 11th, therefore it seems as though he is AHL eligible next year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I believe since he turns 20 in Nov, he's eligible to play in Bingo next season. Chabot would not be eligible, as he's a CHL drafted player who does not turn 20 until Jan. Not sure how it applies for White; he's not in the CHL, so I don't think he can be stoped (did he get drafted by a CHL team and just chose to go the college route? Would that even change anything as he was drafted to the NHL from college?)

edit: What Bonk said.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I believe since he turns 20 in Nov, he's eligible to play in Bingo next season. Chabot would not be eligible, as he's a CHL drafted player who does not turn 20 until Jan. Not sure how it applies for White; he's not in the CHL, so I don't think he can be stoped (did he get drafted by a CHL team and just chose to go the college route? Would that even change anything as he was drafted to the NHL from college?)

edit: What Bonk said.

It only matters if the player played his draft season in the CHL. White was drafted out of the USNTDP, so like any other prospect not from the CHL he can play in Bingo whenever he chooses.

There is some loop hole where if a club from outside NA loans a player to a CHL team, they can bypass the rule but I think I've only heard of one case before.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It only matters if the player played his draft season in the CHL. White was drafted out of the USNTDP, so like any other prospect not from the CHL he can play in Bingo whenever he chooses.

This is true.

If the player was not drafted out of the CHL (ie: Europe, CJHL, USNDP, USHL, High School, etc...), then the only requirement the AHL demands is that the player is 18 years old as of Sept 15th of that particular season.

Basically: no kids, legal adults only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad