Senators player of the year

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Well Karlsson probably is this. But let's debate the top 10-12, 15,17...

1) Erik Karlsson. Our leading scorer, as a D-Man. After a weaker start (for him only) he is now among the elite of the elite in the world for 30,40 games.

2) Mark Stone. Our most consistent and best forward all season long. He has got more and more ice time as the season went on.

3) Kyle Turris. While a bit up and down he has consistently ate icetime. Stone's emergence and him joining Turris's line has seen the best play of Turris's career later in the season.

4) Bobby Ryan. The first of many consecutive players that had great parts of the season but not the whole year. He emerged as a Captain like figure at the start of our run. Played Alfie-like for 20 games at the start of our big run and is still a straw that stirs the drink.

5) Andrew Hammond. Only around a third of the season. 16-1-1. Nuff' said as Stan Lee might say.

6) Marc Methot. Like Hammond looking at a partial season. With him Karlsson is with Crosby, Ovechkin, Tavares, Stamkos as the best in the world. And when he has played we win at an elite rate.

7) Anderson. Our undeniable MVP to start the season. Better then Karlsson. Only reason we are in so many 1 goal games at the start of season.

8) Ceci. Consistent big minutes from a young defender. Undeniably the anchor of every second pairing he partnered with. I would say he occasionally bent but he never broke. Has played so many minutes and so many at a high level.

9) Mike Hoffman. Our leading goal scorer. Pretty consistent all year. Great sniper with uber-elite speed. Why so low? Because we have lots of great players and he certainly is no slouch!

10) Milan Michalek. He is always a solid player and great PKer. For a stretch he was debateably our best forward. We miss him a ton right now.

11) Jean Gabriel Pageau. Some will say he only played half the year in Ottawa. He does not have a lot of points. Pageau in Ottawa coincides with our best play. He is a massive part of the character, the swagger of the team. Plays so well he has begun to earn 18 mins a game. He sets the compete level, the character, the desire of the team. He sets the tone. And it is no longer a "pesky" tone it is a winning one. A do anything and die trying tone.

12) Zibanejad. Great season. Good solid physical play. How is our first line centre much of the year only 12th? We are deep! And Zibby is no slouch. Played well except the first 10 games or so.

13) Condra. A healthy scratch at first. He is showing he is every bit the quality 3rd line PK guy Fisher, Kelly, Vermette were. Great player doing the dirty work every game. Shows up and is relentless.

14) MacArthur. A bit of an off year. And had injuries. Very valuable, if streaky. He never hurt us.

15) Borowiecki. He is a 6th D. But he is also a warrior. Sometimes you lead through stitches and missing teeth. Least talent on the team maybe and not near the worst player. Like Pageau his play sets the tone for the team. He literally will do anything to play and he knows his limitations. He filled in for Neil as enforcer. And as a massive credit to his game... He played right on the edge and took massively fewer penalties that put us shorthanded... Compared to his play in previous years so many less penalties.

16) Curtis Lazar. The rookie. The young one. The guy who ate the burger. Another tone setter. He brings enthusiasm and grit. He hits and plays every shift at 110%. A part of two of our difference making lines. With Hoff and Stone early when they were a sheltered advantage to us third line... And with Pageau and Condra as a ridiculous checking/shut down checking third line.

17) Legwand. The veteran presence on our PK and PP. Leads in PP goals. Anchored mostly what ended up being our 4th line. He gets flak but be has consistently been good in the almost innumerable situations he has been put in. A bazillion linemates. He never hurt us despite his declining speed. He was always an asset.

Those are my core 17 2015 Sens. I won't write up the others... But I guess I will pick them quickly.

18) Wiercioch
19) chiasson
20) gryba
21) Cowen
22) Lehner
23) Neil
24) philips
25) puempel
26) Greening
27) Smith
28) Prince

Who are the best Sens in order for you this year and why? You like my order? What do you think?

Last edited:

Karlsson2Turris*

I like this as it's an analysis of the whole year and you didn't let current cold streaks factor into your rankings.

Well done. I would just swap Ceci and Hoffman

BigBush*

i like your list. i might move Hoffman up a few spots and Ryan down a few spots. everything else i find pretty spot on

Nairbo

Nov 15, 2010
Good list with sound analysis. I might put Hoffman a bit higher but otherwise no changes I would make. Except maybe to give Gryba a negative rating.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I also really like your list and the fact that you gave some credit where it's due with Andy since he was the only reason we had a chance to win for about half the season. Hoffman would be a little higher for me and Ceci had a so so year so maybe down a little. Overall I think you've got it pretty much right on.

I had high hopes for Stone at the beginning of the season and he blew past them like a bullet. I'd give my personal vote to Stone for player of the year since he has really stepped up and Karlsson had a rough first part of the season while Stone was a great player for the whole season, even when playing 12 min under Maclean.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Switch Anderson and Hammond. Ceci and Hoffman..Zibanejad seems to low.

Another season where Cowen has contributed nothing and probably been a liability. I think the writing is on the wall that management will try to move him given he hasnt been used down the stretch. I suspect we might get a brian lee type return.

Turris might be the most consistent player all year. Other players have had peaks, lows or didnt get opportunity ie stone. Turris has been chugging along all year

Last edited:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Switch Anderson and Hammond. Ceci and Hoffman..Zibanejad seems to low

I really love Andy. But he somehow has less wind then Hammond. Heck I love all our players. I want to write a write-up for my 18+ guys and say all the positives about them.

Zibby was hard. As was Ceci and Hoffman.

I mean Neil is plus 5 with a bunch
of hits and 4 goals in 38 games.

I find it hard to find negative guys.

Gryba is plus 9!!!!!!!

I am a 20 year Sens fan and I just don't feel
Much negative on anyone. Every player was a difference maker at some point.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I feel like the difference between Hammond and Andy is not on the player himself but rather on the attitude and fight of the team playing in front of them. We see a different team playing in front of Hammond that scores more, plays much better and for that reason I agree with Vesa. I think Andy has played better this season than Hammond but gets recognized a lot less but thats a spot where about 50% of the fans will agree and the other half disagree

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
It's a tie between Stoney and Hammond. Hammond has played just unreal and we would be fighting with Buffalo and Edmonton for the tank if it wasn't for him. Stoney has been great given what he has to work with for linemates. He is a player that clearly moves his ass and plays with intensity that the other players on the list don't have. My vote goes to Hammond. Stoney should definitely be in the discussion or honourable mention but if he's up against a guy who was the NHL star of the week, star of the month, tying an NHL record, and the first to win 16 of his first 18 games then Stoney is just a victim of circumstance. No one else on the team is doing anything like that.

BigBush*

Except Lehner who wins turd of the year for losing us highly important games

Cowen might take issue with this. he's pretty deserving for turd of the year for getting paid a decent amount of money to sit in the press box despite being given the opportunity time and time again to prove himself.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Has to be Hammonds for me. Easily. Without him we are down 20 points from where we are now. Instead of 16th in the league and fighting for a playoff spot, we are 25th in the league with the likes of Toronto. People may say the team was playing better during his stint, but in any case Anderson had several games in the middle of Hammonds stretch, and failed against far inferior competition.

I do not think any other player makes that kind of impact.

Karlsson is close, but some abysmal defensive play in the first half cost us points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad