Proposal: Senators' Matt Murray to Arizona

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
No way. Coyotes relative strength is young LHD. I really like Branstrom but he’s not needed nor miles better than what they have in their system already.

I think Murray + 7th overall tor Arizona’s second 1st rounder (the higher Carolina or Colorado first round pick).

If it’s not that or Greig or 2023 first round pick — what high end assets are you willing to part with? If it’s a good one, AZ happily takes it. But a B prospect + 2nd rounder or similar type return, that’s not going to do it.
Murray + 7th for X is definitely something I could get behind, depending on where that pick lands.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Murray + 7th for X is definitely something I could get behind, depending on where that pick lands.

Well we know it’s going to be late 20’s at the highest. So to take on 2 more years of Matt Murray (or buy him out this summer or next) to move up 20 spots is about as a big a no brainer for AZ as there is.

I don’t think OTT would do it straight up though. Aside from the cost being high and them not needing the cap room, it’s a tough sell to fans. If AZ added a 2nd rounder (say SJ’s 3nd) so it’s 7th overall + Murray for CAR 1st (#29-32) + SJ 2nd (#43) that would be a more realistic offer for OTT to consider.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Well we know it’s going to be late 20’s at the highest. So to take on 2 more years of Matt Murray (or buy him out this summer or next) to move up 20 spots is about as a big a no brainer for AZ as there is.

I don’t think OTT would do it straight up though. Aside from the cost being high and them not needing the cap room, it’s a tough sell to fans. If AZ added a 2nd rounder (say SJ’s 3nd) so it’s 7th overall + Murray for CAR 1st (#29-32) + SJ 2nd (#43) that would be a more realistic offer for OTT to consider.
I think you are overestimating Pierre Dorion's ability as a GM. It's more likely he'd add to the 7OA in this deal by throwing in a later pick.

By the way, are you looking for work? Your thought process here would make you a good candidate for an upcoming GM position in Canada.

Reactions: jmelm

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think you are overestimating Pierre Dorion's ability as a GM. It's more likely he'd add to the 7OA in this deal by throwing in a later pick.

By the way, are you looking for work? Your thought process here would make you a good candidate for an upcoming GM position in Canada.

Lol, I didn't realize Dorion was thought of that poorly by Sens fans.

But sure: thank you for the complement and I would be happy to take his job!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
After two very poor seasons Murray would be looking at $2 to $2.5M as a backup/1B if he were on the market this summer.

Yet he has $15M owed in the last two years of his deal. So effectively $10-$11M of dead payroll for Arizona.

Thats gonna cost a whole lot more then just a 2nd. I’m thinking something more like:

Ottawa 2022 2nd, 2023 1st and 3rd + Murray to AZ for AZ’s 2023 7th

note: I’m including the AZ 7th to reduce the net # of picks Ottawa is down due to the trade, not as a value balancer.

If Ottawa moves their '23 1st to get rid of a cap dump, there will be riots in this city. That draft is way too good for something like that.

Reactions: mouser

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Murray & 7th for a late 1st and early 2nd would be an atrocious trade. To what end? There is no pressing need to get out of Murray's deal.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
The cost to move Murray would be awful for Ottawa.

Consequently, they are going to have to go into the season carrying three goalies (this includes Murray) and wait until he gets injured yet again. With some luck, they could put him on LTIR.

The other possibility is that he somehow stays healthy and plays decently increasing his trade value which is undoubtedly very low right now. Most Senator fans would think this is a more remote (less likely) possibility mostly because he can't stay healthy.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Murray & 7th for a late 1st and early 2nd would be an atrocious trade. To what end? There is no pressing need to get out of Murray's deal.
The joke was more so that he was realizing Ottawa needed more coming back, not a stamp of approval on the deal.

To your point about the pressing need, I do question the impact in the dressing room and on the team when you have players openly saying it's time to take the next step but then you have someone lingering around, not helping the cause and actually being prohibitive due to taking up cap space and being available 50% of the time. They need to carry 3 goalies this year because of Murray. I don't see a long list of other teams doing that.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The joke was more so that he was realizing Ottawa needed more coming back, not a stamp of approval on the deal.

To your point about the pressing need, I do question the impact in the dressing room and on the team when you have players openly saying it's time to take the next step but then you have someone lingering around, not helping the cause and actually being prohibitive due to taking up cap space and being available 50% of the time. They need to carry 3 goalies this year because of Murray. I don't see a long list of other teams doing that.

Ahh, gotcha. My mistake.

As for the rest of your post, we don't need to carry 3 goalies because of Murray - we "have to" because Gustavsson isn't waiver eligible.

Contrary to your point, I think the guys would probably be a lot happier with an overpaid multi-time cup winner as backup than they would with an average AHL goalie as backup. If the team doesnt add elsewhere, that's another story entirely.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
This thread makes no sense. Ottawa has tons of cap space, why the urgency to use assets to get out of a deal?
The cap space isn't a big issue yet, but paying this guy $15M in salary over the next two years is kinda gross. It'd be different if he was healthy and reliable but he's not either of those things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad