TSN: Senators GM Dorion: 'It’s time to perform'

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
You're consistently in the minority of sens fans when you defend ownership and how they interact with us. I am not sure you can collectively speak for everyone when this is the case. You also misconstrued what I said.

There is a very large difference between having a positive outlook and creating unrealistic expectations. I like most fans are very excited for the season, excited to see the new players and are optimistic about progress and development. Even the most positive sens fan on the planet Gord Wilson illustrated thats what he hopes for.

Ownership just openly admit he lied to the fan base a week ago, maybe saying outlandish unrealistic statements a few days later isn't the way to follow it up.

From a marketing perspective if you really want to win fans back and create excitement for the season don't go back to the well and insult our collective intelligence. Start treating us with respect and eventually it might be reciprocated. This is a very intelligent, hockey educated fan base its not South Florida.

Personally can't wait to watch this team this year, there is finally real hope. We get to watch players that have an actual future with the organization.

Not defending ownership. Just sick of people making shit out nothing. It's getting to be worse than the level of ignorance that the ownership has, IMO. Also, just as embarrassing on a larger scale.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Not defending ownership. Just sick of people making shit out nothing. It's getting to be worse than the level of ignorance that the ownership has, IMO. Also, just as embarrassing on a larger scale.
Marketing a sports team can be predicated on two major things: current success, or future hope. The messaging has been much more on target RE: future hope lately, but the fanbase was sold current success long after there was any reason to assume that was the current goal. It's not making shit out of nothing — it's resentment at being lied to unnecessarily. The team's working on the right foot now, but that's not the kind of consumer confidence you can rebuild overnight. Your view may vary, but IMO fans have every right to still be upset at how the last few years have played out.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yeah, it's pretty obvious they don't think they can win a cup this season. They mean they have the base to win one day. Whether or not that is accurate or will occur remains to be seen.
Melnyk promised one within 4 years. I’m holding him to that :popcorn:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Marketing a sports team can be predicated on two major things: current success, or future hope. The messaging has been much more on target RE: future hope lately, but the fanbase was sold current success long after there was any reason to assume that was the current goal. It's not making shit out of nothing — it's resentment at being lied to unnecessarily. The team's working on the right foot now, but that's not the kind of consumer confidence you can rebuild overnight. Your view may vary, but IMO fans have every right to still be upset at how the last few years have played out.

I’d add that it is particularly frustrating when it is so unnecessary. We don’t need to contend in 2020-2021 for it to be fun to go to games.

They’re likely adding a combination of several among Stützle, Batherson, Brown, Norris, Brannstrom and maybe Formenton to the roster this year. Sell the excitement, the skill level and enthusiasm these young guys will bring. Remind people how fun it was to watch Alfredsson, Redden, Hossa, Chara, Havlat, Spezza etc grow into their roles. One of lines I had the most fun watching to this day is still the Roy-Fisher-Havlat as kids on the bottom lines. Watching Vermette and Kelly dominate on the fourth line was awesome too. Here they’re adding a guy like Stützle who has an incredible hands and speed combination, we haven’t seen a rookie come in with these skills in Ottawa since Havlat.

You’re adding these guys to one of the best young power forwards in the game and a potential Norris contender. Sell that. Brady and Chabot should be a marketing department’s dream.

You’ve shored up goaltending by adding a two time champion and added legitimate top 6 insulation for the young guys in Dadonov. Sell that.

We’ve added some size and sandpaper/grit in Gudbranson, Brown and Watson, watch Brady lead them into war, sell that.

We’re building a champion, get on board now and watch these guys on the road to glory. You can say all kinds of positive things, even in terms of current entertainment value, without obviously overstating this team’s current ability.

I think this season will legitimately be very fun to watch. I’m can’t wait for them to get started.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
I’d add that it is particularly frustrating when it is so unnecessary. We don’t need to contend in 2020-2021 for it to be fun to go to games.

They’re likely adding a combination of several among Stützle, Batherson, Brown, Norris, Brannstrom and maybe Formenton to the roster this year. Sell the excitement, the skill level and enthusiasm these young guys will bring. Remind people how fun it was to watch Alfredsson, Redden, Hossa, Chara, Havlat, Spezza etc grow into their roles. One of lines I had the most fun watching to this day is still the Roy-Fisher-Havlat as kids on the bottom lines. Watching Vermette and Kelly dominate on the fourth line was awesome too. Here they’re adding a guy like Stützle who has an incredible hands and speed combination, we haven’t seen a rookie come in with these skills in Ottawa since Havlat.

You’re adding these guys to one of the best young power forwards in the game and a potential Norris contender. Sell that. Brady and Chabot should be a marketing department’s dream.

You’ve shored up goaltending by adding a two time champion and added legitimate top 6 insulation for the young guys in Dadonov. Sell that.

We’ve added some size and sandpaper/grit in Gudbranson, Brown and Watson, watch Brady lead them into war, sell that.

We’re building a champion, get on board now and watch these guys on the road to glory. You can say all kinds of positive things, even in terms of current entertainment value, without obviously overstating this team’s current ability.

I think this season will legitimately be very fun to watch. I’m can’t wait for them to get started.
Great post, I'm now sufficiently pumped for the season. Hopefully the next month goes by fast.

Reactions: bert and Bileur

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You're consistently in the minority of sens fans when you defend ownership and how they interact with us. I am not sure you can collectively speak for everyone when this is the case. You also misconstrued what I said.

There is a very large difference between having a positive outlook and creating unrealistic expectations. I like most fans are very excited for the season, excited to see the new players and are optimistic about progress and development. Even the most positive sens fan on the planet Gord Wilson illustrated thats what he hopes for.

Ownership just openly admit he lied to the fan base a week ago, maybe saying outlandish unrealistic statements a few days later isn't the way to follow it up.

From a marketing perspective if you really want to win fans back and create excitement for the season don't go back to the well and insult our collective intelligence. Start treating us with respect and eventually it might be reciprocated. This is a very intelligent, hockey educated fan base its not South Florida.

Personally can't wait to watch this team this year, there is finally real hope. We get to watch players that have an actual future with the organization.

You listen to the podcast Melnyk was on with Bob McCown about two weeks back?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Why just read it like it was written when we can assume something different?

Any reasonable person knows that they have no shot this year. That doesn't change what was said. Thats all SOA is saying. Thats why this entire thread exists to begin with. Ownership and management saying outrageous and unrealistic things to the media. In what I assume is meant to spark interest? Either way its the same old song and dance, they collectively treat the fan base like were children. Its shocking its still happening but alas here we are.

We can still be excited in the direction of the team, no one is saying otherwise but to expect them to compete for a cup is putting unrealistic, unnecessary expectations on a very young group. It does more damage than good.

@BatherSeason
@Sens of Anarchy
@bert

Here's 2 more articles, one on TSN, one on NHL.COM with Melnyk interview content dated the same day. December 6. The TSN article even references in an interview with Booboo.

I know people hate Melnyk and like to make fun of him, but do you guys really believe that Melnyk believes he has the team to win a cup this year? You cannot honestly think that

Eugene Melnyk excited to see what his team has to offer this season - TSN.ca

Senators 'have turned the corner,' believe they can win Cup: report

Reactions: Sweatred

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
@BatherSeason
@Sens of Anarchy
@bert

Here's 2 more articles, one on TSN, one on NHL.COM with Melnyk interview content dated the same day. December 6. The TSN article even references in an interview with Booboo.

I know people hate Melnyk and like to make fun of him, but do you guys really believe that Melnyk believes he has the team to win a cup this year? You cannot honestly think that

I was done lol... we had our little very enjoyable chat .. I've moved on .. Not going to dive into these. It would be good to start a Melnyk thread of quotes from 2017 on though so we can follow for pure entertainment value on the consistency of his messaging to the fans. I think @bert said something along the lines that you'd have to be an idiot to believe that we could win the cup this year. Not sure anyone actually specifically mentioned this year in all of it before but .. He said "Any reasonable person knows that they have no shot this year. That doesn't change what was said." Sadly true no matter whatever else he says in some other interview or even later in the same one.. it doesn't change what he actually said. IE the words that came out of his mouth lol

Reactions: bert

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
@BatherSeason
@Sens of Anarchy
@bert

I haven't even posted once in this thread, not sure why you are tagging me. Isn't this the Dorion thread? Why we talking Melnyk?

Reactions: bert and GCK

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I was done lol... we had our little very enjoyable chat .. I've moved on .. Not going to dive into these. It would be good to start a Melnyk thread of quotes from 2017 on though so we can follow for pure entertainment value on the consistency of his messaging to the fans. I think @bert said something along the lines that you'd have to be an idiot to believe that we could win the cup this year. Not sure anyone actually specifically mentioned this year in all of it before but .. He said "Any reasonable person knows that they have no shot this year. That doesn't change what was said." Sadly true no matter whatever else he says in some other interview or even later in the same one.. it doesn't change what he actually said. IE the words that came out of his mouth lol

It was a Garrioch article...who knows what got said in what context in response to what questions subject to what editing

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Simultaneously, watch Pinto and Sanderson play as the best players in their league. Jarventie ripping goals and what looks like another competitive AHL squad; especially the intense goaltending battles in the pro ranks, and even though we have Murray, i'm equally excited to see Hogberg perform when he does play too. Exciting stuff.

Reactions: Bileur

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

time to perform

Bubble - no idea
Tinkering - betting man says "same team at training camp" all on the same page, melnyk, leblanc... they are prepared. will perform well. excited to see what kids will make the team. great team in belleville. time for kids to step up.

Roster - they feel they have a VERY competitive team. They are ready for anything.

DJ told him the most competitive players will stick around.

Brannstrom: where is he now on team: he has to prove he is part of the team. (sounds like he is not impressed yet) he has to play at the top of his level when camp starts

Can Branny play on left....? DJ will decide.

Logan Brown --> he is the most talented prospect. They'll see what happens when camp starts. he is only 22, and is on the right track. too bad AHL playoffs didn't happen.

4 of top 5 picks are in WJC --> feels bad for fans. can't see the players in person. (tears) - these guys are 18 year olds in a 19 yr old tourney.

He doesn't read what goes on (though he does) and knows that Roby was panned by pundits and some HFSens and he is the shizzle. (in Dorion's mind he is laugh at those who doubt the jedi scout master)

His scouts were able to see him progress.

Stutzle - he was always going to go to the WJC. He knows the rules. He knows he may join camp after... maybe. It's all beneficial for Stutzle.

Shayne - again great scouting - they targeted him and he is really impressed the org. he is trying to be the best. (sounds like dorion loves this kid because he is a hard worker) face off king. UND rox

talked to DJ about shayne - he says maybe bring him in after college to win faceoffs LOLZ

final question - anders Nilsson update --> none

Some guys in europe have 'nicks and bruises' all should be ready to play

Condolences to Dorion two friends. RIP

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Delete. Didn't realize I was replying to a post from a month ago.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Dorion has to be careful with his ‘30, 31, 30’ talk - don’t talk about the past, fans know all to well
Exactly where the franchise was at. They sucked because ownership and management made horrible decisions, not because the players coped an attitude. There’s new people, new players, new feelings. Don’t link that brutal time to this optimistic time. Don’t talk about your ex with your new girlfrined

the ‘this is unacceptable’ talk is in direct contrast with the ‘we planned this tear down’ - I’m still confused if they wanted to trade EK, Stone or Duchene because they said they wanted to keep them and made them contract offers.

anyways Dorion, don’t push the underachieving part onto the players. Your assistant GM was a creep, the owner made you fire Boucher the day after you said you owed it to him to stay the season. Every time you say ‘30, 31, 30’ the fans watching TV think to themselves ‘yes because ownership and management was a disaster’ - and goes against the other core message which was we planned this long ago and it’s all
Part of a controlled demolition to rebuild a more solid house

Reactions: Flamingo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad