News Article: Senators' Cowen to have hearing Wednesday (2 games)

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=695454&navid=nhl:topheads

Ottawa Senators defenseman Jared Cowen will have a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety Wednesday for a hit on Buffalo Sabres center Zemgus Girgensons Tuesday night at First Niagara Center.

At 18:02 of the third period, Cowen came across the ice to hit Girgensons as he entered the Ottawa zone. No penalty was called on the play. Girgensons remained in the game.

The following grounds are being considered for supplemental discipline: illegal check to the head. However, the Department of Player Safety retains the right to make adjustments to the infraction upon review.

Buffalo won the game, 2-1, in a shootout.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Good. Nice to see them take a look at a hit where the player wasn't hurt and no penalty was called.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
Kind of a pleasant surprise, didn't think the NHL would follow through with that in a case were there was neither an injury nor a call on the ice (and Girgensons didn't go down dramatically either). Good that they still look into it, I'd say he gets two games.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@SunDoniB

Cowen gets 2 game suspension for hit on Sabres rookie Zemgus Girgensons. That's what you get for being so tall, Cowen #sens

[NHL]508375[/NHL]

NEW YORK -- Ottawa Senators defenseman Jared Cowen has been suspended for two games, without pay, for an illegal check to the head of Buffalo Sabres forward Zemgus Girgensons during NHL Game No. 458 in Buffalo on Tuesday, Dec. 10, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 18:03 of the third period. No penalty was assessed to Cowen on the play.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, Cowen will forfeit $31,794.88. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Wow. Surprised they gave a suspension when there was no call and no injury. That probably keeps him out of Thursday's rematch, right?

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
I'm not upset by Cowen getting 2 games, but the inconsistency in Shanny's office is maddeing.

Phaneuf got 2 games for a more dangerous play, IMO.

Cowen just concussed Datsyuk 2 weeks ago with an elbow to the jaw. I think they considered it when they levied out this suspension.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Im not shocked---they are enforcing hits to the head. Since girgensons didnt need to leave the game spared him. Had girgensons needed to exit the game the suspension would have been higher.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Cowen just concussed Datsyuk 2 weeks ago with an elbow to the jaw. I think they considered it when they levied out this suspension.

Yeah... my gut wants to say this was a make up call for the Datsyuk incident. Either way, a pleasant surprise from Shanny.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I screamed in anger when it happened, even more so when no call was made...and good on the league for penalizing Coward despite no call on the ice and no injury.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
With Girgensons mentality, I would bet he would continue to play even if he got a mild concussion.

He continued to play a game in the USHL after breaking his jaw.

A well deserved suspension. How come he was not suspended for the Datsyuk elbow?

Edit: I read about Shanahan's explanation about the Datsyuk hit.
Seems the NHL rushed their decision since the Senators were playing at 5 PM the next day. Datsyuk finished the game despite being injured and missing a few games after that.

Last edited:

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl 13m
Suspended Cowen on Girgensons: "Obviously he was OK because he came after me and wanted to do something. I guess he was just faking it."

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl 13m
Suspended Cowen on Girgensons: "Obviously he was OK because he came after me and wanted to do something. I guess he was just faking it."

What a *******. What was Girgensons supposed to have been faking? He didn't even go down on the ice... :laugh:

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
How can you respect a player that says that ****? I really want to know what Sens fans think of him.

Wait...that's a lot easier for me to do :laugh:

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
"During his phone hearing with the NHL department of player safety, Cowen argued that the play was not called a penalty on the ice and that Girgensons was not even injured as a result of the hit."

From the TSN interview.

The argument that no injury should mean no suspension (implication there), has to scare you a bit. Also, I believe that Kaleta got 10 games under the exact same circumstances, so I am not sure what he is arguing. Yes, I know Kaleta was a repeat defender and all that, but...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad