Rumor: Senators Are Linked To Juuse Saros Talks

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not Pinto, Greig our the 2024 first.

Korpisalo (salary purposes), Sogaard/Merilainen, Boston's 1st, Jarventie (+ Sokolov and/or Thomson if they want them)

or

Chychrun + Korpisalo + Boston's 1st for Saros + Carrier

No way I'd pay a king's ransom for a goalie. Next year you have Saros and Forsberg and the year after Saros and Sogaard

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I feel like Pagnotta ebbs between being completely unreliable to somewhat plugged in, so hard to say if there is legitimacy to this.
Not Pinto, Greig our the 2024 first.

Korpisalo (salary purposes), Sogaard/Merilainen, Boston's 1st, Jarventie (+ Sokolov and/or Thomson if they want them)

or

Chychrun + Korpisalo + Boston's 1st for Saros + Carrier

No way I'd pay a king's ransom for a goalie. Next year you have Saros and Forsberg and the year after Saros and Sogaard
Sounds about right to me.

Reactions: Xspyrit

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I feel like Pagnotta ebbs between being completely unreliable to somewhat plugged in, so hard to say if there is legitimacy to this.

Sounds about right to me.
What's there to question? You don't think Staios has inquired about him? Ottawa clearly needs to upgrade that position so of course we're going to be linked to a top goalie that may be available.

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
Nashville has Askarov coming up. He's dominating the AHL. They don't need a goalie in return.

To get Saros, Sens need to send a goalie back or find a way to dump one.

And Nashville looks at the Sens prospect pool and laughs so hard they let out a fart.

Then they say, "Your offer starts with Greig."

Reactions: Neil Patrick Harris

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Mixed emotions on this. I wonder what the price would be and would think the assets going the other way would hurt. The other thing is Saros will need an extension as he only has next season on his current contract.

Forsberg seems to playing reasonably well. We are finally seeing some of the results of playing good team D and improvements in goaltending seems to be a by-product. I guess I wonder if another low cost tender and whether the 1a/1b (with Forsberg) scenario would work. Also, we'd still need to find a way of getting rid of Korpisalo, or buy him out.

The idea of getting a top goalie is certainly tempting though.

Last edited:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
If we're able to play Forsberg, Korpisalo, and Saros in goal all at the same time that should solve our problems

• Haha
Reactions: Relapsing

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
1. Ottawa has terrible goaltending.

2. Top goaltender is available.

3. Add "Ottawa" to list of teams.
That's the media formula.

The Toronto one is even better:

1. Big name player becomes available
2. Toronto has no cap space and player doesn't fit position of need.
3. "Toronto heavily interested in said player"
4. Leafs fans rejoice

Last edited:

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Nashville has Askarov coming up. He's dominating the AHL. They don't need a goalie in return.

And Nashville looks at the Sens prospect pool and laughs so hard they let out a fart.

100% Grieg is the ask.
Back in 2013, Cory Schnieder was an elite goalie, and it cost the Devils Bo Horvat to get him. A competitive offer would be Grieg and later round pick.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
This is my "Be A GM" brain at work, but a deal around Chychrun for Saros + Fabbro/Carrier would solve a whole lot of problems for us. Obviously Chychrun would need to want to go to Nashville for this to work but I can see him loving that.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Why would Smashville be trading him? Because they are going into a long rebuild that they will start off by calling a quick 3 yr retool? If not, i'd be suspicious. If so surely they want draft picks and young prospects.

I remember back in the days of Roy, Brodeur. and a couple others maybe Joseph, Turco, the joke was that we should call the game goalie instead of hockey. Philly was almost the poster boy for having great teams let down by mediocre goalies, as they figured if you arent getting cream of the crop then no use paying for the top of the 2nd best heap when the bottom of the 2nd best heap will be just as good.

Then we went through years of teams winning without the so called elite goalie. Now, well as always, having that Craig Anderson like 'Start the Car' game over and over from your goalie is always that missing piece. Id pay dearly for it. Could we outbid the Devils? Would the team that gets Markstrom instead have lost the battle but won the war by paying less?

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why would Smashville be trading him? Because they are going into a long rebuild that they will start off by calling a quick 3 yr retool? If not, i'd be suspicious. If so surely they want draft picks and young prospects.

I remember back in the days of Roy, Brodeur. and a couple others maybe Joseph, Turco, the joke was that we should call the game goalie instead of hockey. Philly was almost the poster boy for having great teams let down by mediocre goalies, as they figured if you arent getting cream of the crop then no use paying for the top of the 2nd best heap when the bottom of the 2nd best heap will be just as good.

Then we went through years of teams winning without the so called elite goalie. Now, well as always, having that Craig Anderson like 'Start the Car' game over and over from your goalie is always that missing piece. Id pay dearly for it. Could we outbid the Devils? Would the team that gets Markstrom instead have lost the battle but won the war by paying less?
The rumour is they are listening but if he isn't moved at the deadline it probably happens in the offseason. Presumably they do it because Askarov is coming and perhaps they aren't confident Saros wants to stick around through their retool only to be pushed out by the team wanting to move on to Askarov.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
The rumour is they are listening but if he isn't moved at the deadline it probably happens in the offseason. Presumably they do it because Askarov is coming and perhaps they aren't confident Saros wants to stick around through their retool only to be pushed out by the team wanting to move on to Askarov.
Ahh right, that intriguing southpaw Askarov. Well that would be interesting intel to get whether Saros wants to test UFA. GMs might want to test that pressure point. But whoever signs him is likely going to have to make him one of the top paid goalies in the league. We'd need to manage cap space at the expense of assets to pull it off im thinking

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Yes, let's ruin yet another goaltender in this league.

Can we fix the overall team defense before we spend a fortune in assets for yet another goalie?

We are pretty deep in the process of fixing team defense are we not? Especially if Martin stays behind the bench an extra season.

If we make a move to bring in a defensive dman in the summer, and we continue to improve in leaps and bounds as we have been doing, I don't see why we wouldn't bring in a true #1, top-ten goalie.

Of course the question now is what are we willing to part with?

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
Potentially paying a fortune (assets + contract) for a 5f11, 180lbs goalie (tiny by modern days NHL standards) that has played his whole behind stingy Nashville defenses, is having a bad year and hasn't won a single playoff round in the league. Big no.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Make sure to create a thread on the main boards about how shitty the prospect pool is so that others can trash the team so that you can join in.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Korpisalo would be a good option for 1b with Askarov

Chychrun + Norris + Korpisalo vs Saros + Carrier or Fabbro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad