Confirmed with Link: Senators acquire Coburn, Paquette, 2nd round pick from TB

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You’d think after seeing all those hits by Stutzle and Byfield’s passive past couple games Aragorn would be in love with Stutzle by now.
I think Steutzle is going to be a great player, sending him back for this unusual season is not that big a deal for an 18 yr old. Given what PD has said it seems they want him to stay, but what's the point of signing & trading for all these vets if the idea is to play this young guy? Maybe he plays in the AHL instead, but we'll see, it just doesn't seem to make sense to keep him here in this shortened season where the team isn't going anywhere & it could be a fight filled season. Why risk him getting hurt? Let him go back & try to dominate as an 18 yr old in Germany, he'll be back for the start of next season soon enough.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
To me this very much looks like a team to tank with and to not slaughter the youngsters. Which I understand. But then what’s next year? When stepan and coburn and gudbransson and brown are gone? Are we going to get more vets to replace them.

sooner or later Dorion is going to have to shit or get off the pot with all these young players.

The way I see it now this year is sunk. Next year he absolutely has to be play some youngsters who will be new. Another tank. In which hopefully we hit Wright or Lambert. After that nature will run its course and our youngsters will no longer be youngsters.

We will have some more fun this coming season as we did last season in the Tankathon. :)

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think Steutzle is going to be a great player, sending him back for this unusual season is not that big a deal for an 18 yr old. Given what PD has said it seems they want him to stay, but what's the point of signing & trading for all these vets if the idea is to play this young guy? Maybe he plays in the AHL instead, but we'll see, it just doesn't seem to make sense to keep him here in this shortened season where the team isn't going anywhere & it could be a fight filled season. Why risk him getting hurt? Let him go back & try to dominate as an 18 yr old in Germany, he'll be back for the start of next season soon enough.

I would agree with you, bro. But I think they specifically brought in guys like Stepan and such for Stutzle. Or maybe next year we acquire a more legit centre. You could be right. I just see Stutzle and I think he’s better than 80% of our forwards and normally that player is never sent back.

Reactions: DueDiligence

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
All three of the pieces we acquired today will have value at the trade deadline. I wasn't totally on board the Stepan trade, but do see how we can easily get a 3rd and perhaps a 2nd back at the deadline for him. If Stepan gets Pageau like ice-time and the resulting production bump, he might even get a 2nd plus.

I also think Paquette and Coburn are perfect trade deadline acquisitions, albeit for mid round picks most likely.

All in all, a great day.

It does not add up to a “great day” for me. A “great day” would require the addition of a great player to the roster to which these most recent Dorion moves do not come close.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
[/QUOTE]Burrowsaurus said:
To me this very much looks like a team to tank with and to not slaughter the youngsters. Which I understand. But then what’s next year? When stepan and coburn and gudbransson and brown are gone? Are we going to get more vets to replace them.

sooner or later Dorion is going to have to shit or get off the pot with all these young players.

The way I see it now this year is sunk. Next year he absolutely has to be play some youngsters who will be new. Another tank. In which hopefully we hit Wright or Lambert. After that nature will run its course and our youngsters will no longer be youngsters. [/QUOTE]

I agree, this yr go with middle of the road vets & hope for a good draft ranking. Next season start building the team with a few good young players & the yr after that & the yr after that.​

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would agree with you, bro. But I think they specifically brought in guys like Stepan and such for Stutzle. Or maybe next year we acquire a more legit centre. You could be right. I just see Stutzle and I think he’s better than 80% of our forwards and normally that player is never sent back.
You could be right, we'll see, it's one thing to do well in the WJC & German league, but it's a much bigger step to do well in the NHL as an 18 yr old rookie, although a few do.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Not really what he said (I don’t think he has great sources now anyway)

“With that said, there’s some talk out that things may be reaching a breaking point with Logan Brown. And that was the case before the Derek Stepan trade. While it’s unclear if a trade request was already made, some people close to the team believe that may be the direction things are headed in. It’s a shame if it comes to that. It’s hard to believe Logan Brown would get a better opportunity than he still appears to have here in Ottawa. Here’s hoping cooler heads prevail and he comes into Camp and earns a spot on the team.”

I definitely can see Logan traded before the year is over. I think he’ll start in the nhl lineup to prove his worth

I hope the Senators retain L.Brown; however, if a trade occurs, I hope they focus on acquiring high potential prospects or picks rather than old, ageing, vets seeking retirement contracts.

Logan has had ample opportunity to work his way onto the roster but failed to do so. Injuries have played a part in that but he has not impressed in training camps.

Reactions: robsenz

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
he literally didn't say that lol

I dont know why you would not bold "some belief", pretty important part of the sentence lol

I'll quote him so you get off my ass about it, and people can interpret it the way they wish

"there’s some talk out that things may be reaching a breaking point with Logan Brown. And that was the case before the Derek Stepan trade. While it’s unclear if a trade request was already made, some people close to the team believe that may be the direction things are headed in."

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I get what you're saying about the other teams, some of them will be right there next to us, but I wouldn't be too worried about moving up. Injuries could happen to us too, like imagine if Chabot goes down lol

Plus, even though I like the additions of Murray and Dadonov, it's entirely possible that Murray has another down year and Dadonov scores at a similar pace to Duclair last year.

I would feel better if Dadonov was approaching 28 rather than 32.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Although on paper, Ottawa is the weakest team in the Canadian division; the division is also the weakest in the NHL. I think Ottawa will surprise and make the playoffs this season.

I don’t. Bottom of the Canadian Division is my prediction.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If they don't work out you flip them for scraps.
But I have a feeling they will be decent and stabilize the team this season.
Dorion has been impressive

If Dorion got a first round pick and no players from Tampa, I would call it a very good trade. But what he got is not going to make this team better in 2 or 3 years.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I dont know why you would not bold "some belief", pretty important part of the sentence lol

I'll quote him so you get off my ass about it, and people can interpret it the way they wish

"there’s some talk out that things may be reaching a breaking point with Logan Brown. And that was the case before the Derek Stepan trade. While it’s unclear if a trade request was already made, some people close to the team believe that may be the direction things are headed in."
he said there is a belief that it is headed that way which is way different from there is a belief that he asked for a trade

its just unnecessary mis information imo

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Not really what he said (I don’t think he has great sources now anyway)

“With that said, there’s some talk out that things may be reaching a breaking point with Logan Brown. And that was the case before the Derek Stepan trade. While it’s unclear if a trade request was already made, some people close to the team believe that may be the direction things are headed in. It’s a shame if it comes to that. It’s hard to believe Logan Brown would get a better opportunity than he still appears to have here in Ottawa. Here’s hoping cooler heads prevail and he comes into Camp and earns a spot on the team.”

I definitely can see Logan traded before the year is over. I think he’ll start in the nhl lineup to prove his worth

Paraphrasing must be done carefully. Quoting is best. Reading into what a person said and writing something can often be very misleading. Thanks for the quote!

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
he said there is a belief that it is headed that way which is way different from there is a belief that he asked for a trade

its just unnecessary mis information imo

He said its unclear if a trade request was already made, which would suggest some believe he has. And if he hasn't already, he may soon.

It's not unnecessary, I used the words some belief for a reason. It gets right to the point so we can speculate the crap out of it - which is the fun part

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad