Prospect Info: Senators 2015 Development Camp

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Randy Lee just said on TGOR that Wikstrand is willing to go to Bingo and had a meeting with Lee, Dorion and Murray to discuss it. Seems like they really want him to be a part of the future if all the management heavy hitters are meeting with him.

Many here were laughed at a couple years ago after watching him in the wjc and saying this guy is a 1st round quality prospect.

No surprises here. He's probably gonna be a good player.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Many here were laughed at a couple years ago after watching him in the wjc and saying this guy is a 1st round quality prospect.

No surprises here. He's probably gonna be a good player.

It's really hard to get a good appreciation for guys who play overseas, particularly if you have limited interest in following his progress. I don't blame anyone for not thinking much of a 7th round pick playing in Sweden.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Randy Lee just said on TGOR that Wikstrand is willing to go to Bingo and had a meeting with Lee, Dorion and Murray to discuss it. Seems like they really want him to be a part of the future if all the management heavy hitters are meeting with him.

This is such a turn around from him having to go back to his hometown team during the season because he was homesick, and he was still in Sweden!

Now he's going to Binghamton? Wow, hope he's gotten over his homesickness issues.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is such a turn around from him having to go back to his hometown team during the season because he was homesick, and he was still in Sweden!

Now he's going to Binghamton? Wow, hope he's gotten over his homesickness issues.

Maybe Bingo reminds him of Karlstad?

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Well, when the GM and both Asst. GMs of the team are trying to convince you to stay, you know you might have a future in the league. Changes the perspective a bit.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Very happy to see Wikstrand stay and willing to play in Bingo. Was impressed by his steady and calming presence on the back end and can't wait to see him in training camp and pre-season. I think he can be one of the best defensemen in Bingo this season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Very happy to see Wikstrand stay and willing to play in Bingo. Was impressed by his steady and calming presence on the back end and can't wait to see him in training camp and pre-season. I think he can be one of the best defensemen in Bingo this season.

Bingo's D should look pretty solid with the addition of Wikstrand and Harpur, though Wideman will be a big loss if he makes the big club.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I like that he's coming over.

The organization needs to see what he can do in the NHL before he develops too much in another league. The AHL is as close as you can get to the NHL. One good AHL season and Wiercioch and Cowen might start feeling the heat if they aren't already

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Great news about Wikstrand.

This is an exciting year for the Bingo roster - quite a few guys like Paul, Lindberg, O'Conner and Wikstrand who I wouldn't say are blue-chippers, but have very intriguing potential so it will be fun to see what they can do in the pros.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Great news about Wikstrand.

This is an exciting year for the Bingo roster - quite a few guys like Paul, Lindberg, O'Conner and Wikstrand who I wouldn't say are blue-chippers, but have very intriguing potential so it will be fun to see what they can do in the pros.

I'd say all have done enough developing to be akin to adding a late 1st round caliber prospect to the farm team. Not bad at all. I also really like Harpur

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Our management team are fantastic salesmen

Glad to hear they seem to be on the cusp of giving Bingo a solid boost defensively

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'm glad he's willing buuuuut did he really have a choice? He is under contract after all is said and done.

Good to hear though. I wish Englund would play in the CHL instead of Sweden next year. He's be better served there imo.

I definitely expect Bingo to be a contender this coming season with their roster, even once some guys move to the nhl inevitably.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Maybe he was just bsing when he said he changed teams to be closer to home lol

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
It's really hard to get a good appreciation for guys who play overseas, particularly if you have limited interest in following his progress. I don't blame anyone for not thinking much of a 7th round pick playing in Sweden.

If you watched him for 3-4 games when he was at the World Junior, which many of the naysayers did, it was obvious he was 1st round kinda talent. That doesn't mean there were guarantees, but he was a guy who could skate stride for stride with the 1st rounders of his draft.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I'm glad he's willing buuuuut did he really have a choice? He is under contract after all is said and done.

Good to hear though. I wish Englund would play in the CHL instead of Sweden next year. He's be better served there imo.

I definitely expect Bingo to be a contender this coming season with their roster, even once some guys move to the nhl inevitably.

Honestly, the CHL is where most Euros go to have their careers disappear.
I actually wouldn't mind if we could just do away with the CHL altogether (at least past 18) and move more to CIS as a development league in conjunction with the AHL.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I actually wouldn't mind if we could just do away with the CHL altogether (at least past 18) and move more to CIS as a development league in conjunction with the AHL.

Is this sarcasm?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

That destroys both the CHL and the CIS in one move

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011

Losing the CHL would be a disaster for Canadian hockey. CIS doesn't make sense as a development league, athletes have to go through too many hurdles to pretend like they're also getting an education.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

I am also very pleased with this turn of events. He will find out this year so much about the NHL game that he wants top play. Having Richardson as his coach can only be a plus as well.

Claesson's development shows him how important it is to play it this way. With Harpur added, Binghamton's D projects out well. Wish Jaros would stay here as well.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Losing the CHL would be a disaster for Canadian hockey. CIS doesn't make sense as a development league, athletes have to go through too many hurdles to pretend like they're also getting an education.

Losing the CHL would be catastrophic for hockey in general.

Sweden, Russia and even the US have created junior leagues to try and emulate the CHL in a capacity for a good reason. 99% of kids under 20 have no place playing against men. 16-17 year olds benefit from making their way and the 19-20 year olds gain experience as go to guys and leaders among their peers which isn't always an option for players going into European pro leagues or NCAA.

CHL is better for the guys who don't have a future in hockey as well. They can play hockey and get their paid education for AFTER hockey instead of the ruse that is collegiate sports in America. At least CHL grads don't have to work a full time job while studying to maintain a certain GPA just to stick around. Canadian Law wouldn't even allow the CIS to behave in the same manor so the whole idea is moot (thankfully).

NCAA is a great route for a lot of guys who are going to take a longer route for different reasons but the best players will and should go the CHL route. That's considered a pro league for a reason and prepares players for a career in hockey as evidence by the thousands of players who've gone that route and made it (including about 80% of HHOF members). Saying Euros are ruined by the CHL is a completely unfounded claim. It certainly didn't hurt Lindberg or Prokarov or Landeskog or Hossa.

The only draw back of the CHL and it's agreement with the NHL is that occasionally you'll get a 19yo player who'd be better served in the AHL than with his junior team but those cases few and far between. No 19 year old will be hurt by playing another year in junior. Keeping the level of play up in the CHL is as important to the NHL as it is to each individual junior league. It keeps it far and away the most competitive environment for aspiring pro hockey players.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I am also very pleased with this turn of events. He will find out this year so much about the NHL game that he wants top play. Having Richardson as his coach can only be a plus as well.

Claesson's development shows him how important it is to play it this way. With Harpur added, Binghamton's D projects out well. Wish Jaros would stay here as well.

There's no room for Jaros. He has a good job in Sweden with Lulea so I'd leave him be for the forsee able future. He'll get more playing time. We'd have to put him in the ECHL and imo a prospect of his calibre shouldn't have to spend significant time there.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Losing the CHL would be catastrophic for hockey in general.

Sweden, Russia and even the US have created junior leagues to try and emulate the CHL in a capacity for a good reason. 99% of kids under 20 have no place playing against men. 16-17 year olds benefit from making their way and the 19-20 year olds gain experience as go to guys and leaders among their peers which isn't always an option for players going into European pro leagues or NCAA.

CHL is better for the guys who don't have a future in hockey as well. They can play hockey and get their paid education for AFTER hockey instead of the ruse that is collegiate sports in America. At least CHL grads don't have to work a full time job while studying to maintain a certain GPA just to stick around. Canadian Law wouldn't even allow the CIS to behave in the same manor so the whole idea is moot (thankfully).

NCAA is a great route for a lot of guys who are going to take a longer route for different reasons but the best players will and should go the CHL route. That's considered a pro league for a reason and prepares players for a career in hockey as evidence by the thousands of players who've gone that route and made it (including about 80% of HHOF members). Saying Euros are ruined by the CHL is a completely unfounded claim. It certainly didn't hurt Lindberg or Prokarov or Landeskog or Hossa.

The only draw back of the CHL and it's agreement with the NHL is that occasionally you'll get a 19yo player who'd be better served in the AHL than with his junior team but those cases few and far between. No 19 year old will be hurt by playing another year in junior. Keeping the level of play up in the CHL is as important to the NHL as it is to each individual junior league. It keeps it far and away the most competitive environment for aspiring pro hockey players.

I think the 'best of both worlds' scenario would be to allow each AHL team to have one 19-year-old on the roster.....but only if the kid has a minimum of 2 years played in the CHL, NCAA or equivalent European leagues.

That way, the kids who are obviously beyond the CHL level but below the NHL (like Lazar last year) an get that one year in the A, while at the same time making sure the CHL isn't drained of their talent. After all, it would be an absolute maximum of 30 kids, and not all of them would be from the CHL....that's if all 30 NHL teams use it (some teams may not even have a kid that qualifies).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad