News Article: Senators’ Rebuild is Heading in the Wrong Direction

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Uh oh

Senators’ owner Eugene Melnyk has also been optimistic with his team. While he believes they are still in need of a top defensive defenseman and a first-line center, he claims that “We’ve done the rebuild. We’re still building but we’re almost done” (from ‘GARRIOCH: Melnyk calls McGuire a key piece of Sens’ Stanley Cup drive,’ Ottawa Sun – 12/07/21). While fans have learned to take their owner’s words with a grain of salt, he’s not far off here – the Senators are nearing the end of this long, painful road.

https://thehockeywriters.com/senators-rebuild-heading-in-wrong-direction/

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Actually a hilarious read. I've never seen penalty minutes as such a contentious indicator.

Also Brady Tkachuk = Evander Kane. Maybe. Wowee

Reactions: Cosmix

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
There being only 7 players 5ft9 and under considered of star quality drafted since 2006 is more an example AGAINST the writer's position than anything.

What an idiot.

Reactions: Cosmix

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Despite using it to try to prove otherwise, the glaringly short list of diminutive players and even shorter list of over achieving diminutive players, in fact refutes his claim that "small players are continuously emerging." Not to mention holding up Marchand in an article that is heavily focused on the perils of PIMs, PIMs and more PIMs is only slightly contradictory.

Weird article.

Reactions: SensontheRush

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Also, I didn't know Evander Kane led the Sharks to the 2019 SCF.

Geez, maybe this guy does know what they're talking about. :eyeroll:

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Love this guy's argument of "I can list 6 star players who are under 6 foot, therefore the Senators should be drafting short players"

Might actually be the worst hockey article I've ever read

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
The guy constantly contradicts himself and doesn’t even support his own assertions. What a strange article. Maybe write the first draft point form and then fill it in with actual information? This reads like he is simply describing the Sens’ draft Wikipedia page only with PIMs included. Utterly bizarre.

Reactions: PlayersLtd and Deku

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Then he proceeds to list players who get suspended a lot, I guess to imply that all of our draft picks than pan out will end up being goons? Because they are big and have decent PIM totals? What?

Yet the Senators have gone and selected a player who has been regularly described as a Tom Wilson-type player and has several other prospects in their system who could fit that description.

Do we even have one prospect who could be compared to Wilson besides Boucher? Big does not equal goon.

Also the use of this quote is hilarious

“There are advantages to being a heavy guy. They have advantages that other smaller players don’t have. But our identity is based on pace. If you’re a big guy and can’t play with pace, you can’t play for us. Really, that’s what it comes down to”

Pretty sure the Senators' exact type is big players who can play with pace.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
Being over six feet and having relatively higher PIMs is just the beginning. Next thing you know, you’re assaulting people in hotels and going into bankruptcy from gambling addiction by age 30. No hyperbole here from expert elementary school teacher (whom I’m going to bet is below 6”0).

Reactions: Deku

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What a strange thing to write.

I was mildly entertained for a few minutes though, definitely a creative approach to sculpting absolute shit.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Haha bullshit.

The only thing that is going to throw this off the rails from at least being a really good team is if the Owner can't follow through on his spending promise.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
We are the anti-manlet team now.

Blogger boy betas are shook.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
With the reactions I was seeing in this tread, I decided to give this a read through the Wayback Machine, since I think that one doesn't give the website another hit for me accessing it there. Definitely don't agree with the writer's point of view. There are good players of all size, and I'm confident that if there was a small players the Sens really liked, they would have picked them. It's hard to say that we passed on skill for size in any of the recent drafts because.....well they were really recent.

I also disagree that the rebuild is heading in the wrong direction. I have faith that the team will be good at some point in the near future. I will say that I think the rebuild train doesn't have enough track to get to the destination. We're going to need at least one major acquisition or another couple of good drafts and good development from our young players to make it to the promised land.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Two weeks ago the same guy wrote an article with the following concluding paragraph...

Sure, the Senators don’t have the deepest prospect pool, nor the most skilled, but that doesn’t seem to be Dorion’s or head scout Trent Mann’s plan. Instead, they want to build a well-rounded team that has its high-skill players but is also tough-as-nails and is incredibly frustrating to play against on both ends of the ice. So far, they’ve got exactly that, and if the end of the 2020-21 season was any indication, they are not that far away from becoming a playoff team. The Senators have nearly all the pieces in place; the only thing left to do is wait.

https://thehockeywriters.com/senators-2020-21-prospect-timelines/

What changed between August 18th and today, buddy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad