Post-Game Talk: Senatorial sojourn, Samsonov starts, Snake streak snapped, 7:37

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So Ovie can only score from the circle?

Thinking on it. Where in the Caps pp set up would you move him where he could score? Or are you suggesting an entirely new power play set up? Give it some thought. Move him closer to the net and he would never touch the puck

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Thinking on it. Where in the Caps pp set up would you move him where he could score? Or are you suggesting an entirely new power play set up? Give it some thought. Move him closer to the net and he would never touch the puck

I don't run the PP. Talk to Blaine. :laugh:

They have to do something tho. Its one thing to not score on the PP but its a whole other to get scored on.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't run the PP. Talk to Blaine. :laugh:

They have to do something tho. Its one thing to not score on the PP but its a whole other to get scored on.

You asked the questions. Can they go with 2 d? Yes, if you take Ov off the pp. Cant Ov score from somewhere else? The answer to that is easily no. I don't think they need to change anything other than sharpen their game up. Its not structural.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
That was an awesome game to attend. First game I've attended in a while involving the Caps and it was pretty clear that they were a far superior team from the puck drop. After dominating early and getting an early lead, it was evident that they took their foot off the gas a bit in the 2nd but the Sens also picked up their play.

It's amazing to see how well-respected Ovie is around the league. I know it's Ottawa and they're not doing too well but the arena was filled with fans rocking Ovechkin jerseys. He received louder cheers on his first goal than any other Sens goal, especially after it was announced that he tied Messier in goals. It was also great to hear fans chanting "Ovie" after he scored the empty netter to seal the game. While fans were probably a bit disappointed that the Sens lost, you can't help but cheer for such an all-time great.

Last edited:

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Someone posted Ovechkin's 65 goal video on the main board today and I watched it because I had nothing to do and way too much beer to do it in.

One aspect of Caps' power play that stood out from that season was the amount of PP goals Ovechkin scored on cross crease passes. That's something that Caps have completely abandoned in recent seasons and I think it's detrimental. A difficult cross-crease pass might be a low percentage play but it's not dangerous and when it works, it REALLY works. When it doesn't work, it's not going to result in short handed chance against.

Caps are throwing these exceptionally difficult cross rink passes high up in the zone by the blue line. Not only is it resulting in absurd amount of short handed chances against but even when it works, the puck is still at the blue line. What's the best possible outcome of Kuznetsov's botched pass in this game? We maintain possession? The risk is just not worth the reward.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Bad lazy Kuzy scored his 17th already? That's not that bad.

Didnt watch most of the game, but can't complain - it's 2 goals for Ovi in the end.

How bad was Samsonov?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
EVERYONE — Do not read!!! And also please stop quoting these!!

I read the last one of these that was posted ...and was instantly dumber for it and still haven’t recovered. To wit:

I kicked my dog because I thought she was a meowing like a cat (Not a cat person, sorry @Calicaps)

I yelled at the full moon because the light was too bright

I sent my utility bills to my mortgage company telling them “this is the landlords responsibility!!!”

I picked up and tried to answer my DirecTV remote when the phone rang.

I’m toast.

We are losing Rids, guys!

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Bad lazy Kuzy scored his 17th already? That's not that bad.

Didnt watch most of the game, but can't complain - it's 2 goals for Ovi in the end.

How bad was Samsonov?

In my distracted viewing, Samsonov looked like Holtby on a decent day this season. Allowed a soft-ish goal, stopped a breakaway, was ok otherwise. The kind of game that doesn't change the current goalie status quo one way or another.

Reactions: Raikkonen

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
In my distracted viewing, Samsonov looked like Holtby on a decent day this season. Allowed a soft-ish goal, stopped a breakaway, was ok otherwise. The kind of game that doesn't change the current goalie status quo one way or another.
So who's the goalie next game then?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad