Semin vs Vanek

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Troy Brouwer though got laughed at for his comments.

He said the Caps were doing great without Semin ... when he said that, the Caps were in last place. It was a huge joke on the main boards.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
I think Vanek is bar far the better player. Vanek was bashed a lot by many after the playoffs, but imo he was a factor in both the TB and the Boston series...vs the NYR the entire team went to sleep and we were missing Carey so we knew that the end was near. And I don't think our style caters to these types of players.

So Vanek > Semin imo...and I would be surprised to see Semin actually find a consistent set of linemates on this team...MT is the coach, and imo he doesn't use talent properly and this will be no different.

Semin will be a healthy scratch before Christmas. The only way this works out is if he somehow finds a way to work some magic on the PP, otherwise he'll be in the pressbox.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
This is a low risk, high reward signing. Very low risk. McCarron and Scherbak shouldn't be expected to come in and blow established roster players out of the water. Have a good camp, go to Hamilton/WHL, and continue to develop.

If Semin is a flop, you bury him and cut 950k of the $1.1 million from the team cap. In the end, it's a $150,000 experiment. Nothing more.

The risk is if Semin does have a great year. If he rebounds, and Berg is faced with deciding whether or not to sign him to multi-year deal. We've seen bought out players be impacted by that where/when they sign again. It certainly had an impact on Semin. I see no reason for it not to continue to do so after this season. Berg will have to be strong enough not to capitulate to any demands of big money and long term, term being the biggest factor. Semin could have a ppg season, and I don't think teams would line up offering more than 2-3 years. Personally, I wouldn't go more than two. That's all down the road though.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
Semin is here somwe can wait a little for scherback, for him to play in the ahl a year is the best thing. I don't think MB has any plan on resigning semin next year. If scherbac/mccarron strugle in the ahl, then it's another story and he will go to plan B

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Semin is here somwe can wait a little for scherback, for him to play in the ahl a year is the best thing. I don't think MB has any plan on resigning semin next year. If scherbac/mccarron strugle in the ahl, then it's another story and he will go to plan B

Yeah, in '16/17 both Scherbak and McCarron will still both be on the cheap ($0.925M salary, slightly lower cap hit) and needing a good look before possibly extending them, or whatever. Semin would have to have some kind of comeback and yet not be commanding a super raise to earn "priority" over them after next year. We'll see, either way. Getting rid of DD would free up a spot and a bit of cap for such a raise, if he earned one.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Please lower your expectations for Semin, otherwise you will end-up severely disappointed.

Exactly. I like the signing a lot but I know the most probable outcome is that he doesn't pan out. Just as there was a reason Colorado wanted to get rid of PAP, there's a reason Semin only had 6 goals last year. I suspect he isn't fast, or driven enough, to keep up with the new younger and faster NHL. Vanek is still a 20 goal scorer, albeit an over priced and declining one.

But hopefully the most probable outcome won't be the actual outcome for Semin next year.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Please lower your expectations for Semin, otherwise you will end-up severely disappointed.
Expectations are relative. I see him as an advance over Parenteau in size and shot and his contract is affordable. Is that too much to ask?,

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Vanek in his prime was a complete plalyer. Offense, Defense, hands tipping in front. Silky smooth. Later in his career he got slower and is probably a perimeter player.

Semin has elite skills and probably better wrist shot that Ovechkin, he's not a powerful skater like OV but it all comes down to heart. I don't think Semin has that drive like Koivu or Gallagher, he's more of a perimeter shooter. He's not as talented as Kovalev. He's more of a poor man's Kovalchuk. Still if he can put up half the effort, he'll score 20 goals easily.

lmao semin better wirst shot than OV, cmon now. Ovechkin is one of the few in the league who can beat a goalie without having him screened. dont get me wrong semin is/was an elite shooter but is not on par with OVs shot.

for the rest of your comparable, your pretty much right hes a little downgrade version of a kovalchuk. personnaly i was never a fan of kovalev and i think semin fits more our style of play, he has skills with the puck at a decent high speed compared to kovalev who was pretty much static when he was dangling! i think a healthy semin can be dangerous along with maxpac and galchenyuk, 3 big body who can do it all! and 2 elite shooter that can also pass on each wing is scary for a goaler!

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Agreed with anyone saying it will all depend on how Therrien uses him. That being said if Therrien uses him as he's supposed to, he still might not pan out, as long as he's given a legit chance, its a win win situation. I'm not too sure Therrien will give him that chance honestly. I fully expect him to either start the season well only to be benched for some odd reason (Sekac style) or spend the season on the 3rd or 4th line. I get that you have to earn your place on the first two lines but you don't put an offensive winger on the last two lines and expect miracles. I just want Therrien to give him a legit chance.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Vanek is a better player but isn't on the Habs.

Semin has potential to be the better player, but we'll have to wait and see. Plus, he's on our team.

Go Semin go.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
lmao semin better wirst shot than OV, cmon now. Ovechkin is one of the few in the league who can beat a goalie without having him screened. dont get me wrong semin is/was an elite shooter but is not on par with OVs shot.

for the rest of your comparable, your pretty much right hes a little downgrade version of a kovalchuk. personnaly i was never a fan of kovalev and i think semin fits more our style of play, he has skills with the puck at a decent high speed compared to kovalev who was pretty much static when he was dangling! i think a healthy semin can be dangerous along with maxpac and galchenyuk, 3 big body who can do it all! and 2 elite shooter that can also pass on each wing is scary for a goaler!

yeah there's no way its better than Ovi's and that's no slight to Semin. AO's wrister is a force of nature. Probably up there with the best of all time.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
My issue isn't with the player per se but more with the need that MB is always working on some sort of reclamation project. Briere PA etc.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Always putting the best or most talented players together gives them a chance to perform at the highest levels. Perhaps a line centered by Alex Galchenyuk with Max Pacioretty & Alex Semin could be devastating, then again having a two/way center with speed like Plekanec may be the best line in years! Nice to have the options once more as it was in the past, IMHO.:nod: It's all about winning the Stanley Cup, throughout the Habs system, one goal that everyone involved knows, that's from the GM, Coach and players sacrificing individual glory for one purpose, winning the SC.

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Vanek completely disappears in a track meet. Semin won't (tho he may turn it over).

Watching video of Semin in the playoffs, he doesn't look afraid to use his size and go into traffic. And I've seen countless highlights of him fighting through checks, hooks, etc. and continuing the play, then deking out 2-3 guys and scoring. I don't trust hockey fans in DC and Carolina to know the truth, and I don't trust what I've heard from the media until I see it myself. I also don't fully trust the advanced stats. But most of all I don't trust MT.

If he's playing the right role with the right linemates, I think he'll be motivated. Problem is MT, not Semin.

I'm sorry, I read that and the only thing I could think of was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRCpN4OMpM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad