Semifinals: Montreal Canadiens vs. Vegas Golden Knights | Canadiens lead 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
I'm assuming some potential negative backlash for this post, so I'm going to try to be very clear about the point I want to make. Whatever is the end result for Montreal in these Playoffs, it really has *asterisk* potential. Here's what I mean,... let's say, for instance, they do the unthinkable and win the Cup (sorry, I'm gagging on my own words just writing them). They'll be the first 16th place Playoff team to do that, but if they can pull it off then I guess we have to say they deserve it, horseshoe or not. But the *asterisk* wouldn't be related to their winning, no. The *asterisk* is related to them actually being in the Playoffs to begin with. I mean, if this had been a normal Season, they almost certainly wouldn't have been in a Playoff position in the Atlantic Division, with Toronto, Tampa, Florida and Boston all having more points than Montreal; and they also wouldn't have gotten a Wildcard spot either. Furthermore, just given the Divisions as they currently are, if the League had been able to incorporate the Wildcard this Season, Montreal also then wouldn't have made the Playoffs.

Now there is a means by which this "*asterisk*" can be removed, and that's if the League were to decide to keep these Divisions and also to do away with the Wildcard crossover. Under those conditions, this then becomes an almost normal Season and Montreal would've made the Playoff regardless.

I guess I could be generous and call it the Covid Cup, no matter which team wins.

In a normal season, Bruins wouldn't have made the playoffs because you know it's a long season and Marchand would've gotten hurt by another player because he's arrogant (probably).

You see, I have a crystal ball that can tell me what happens in parallel universe and I see the Bruins would've traded Bergeron to MTL, but Toronto would've won the cup against the Kraken.

Reactions: Clouts

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
Alright alright.. ENOUGH of this war now!

Let's just shake hands tonight and be friends so we can all move on to better things. :sarcasm::DD

rubco55

Feb 15, 2016
Toronto

Im french as well so its ok. I understand you perfectly. :) Listen...Ive been through so many habs seasons....so many hopes....so many disappointments that this year I promised myself...oh wait...I've promised myself for several years that I wouldn't get carried away by the hype. I've seen us win the presidents cup and and be top 5 nhl contenders during the regular season for several years and completely fold during the playoffs. Since 79 ive seen it all. You wont find many bigger hab supporters than me. If there was a top 100 hab list, I would be there. Ive been following the habs seriously since 1979. Some before that but not enough so yeah...been there done that in regard to the habs.

Now having said all of that...not sure it was necessary...Ive gained experience in the field of getting hyped up and then being terribly dissapointed. Yes this pre season was hyped up. Arnt we all hyped up a bit during that time? It was a bit hyped up compared to the last season but last season was like not much to go on. We lucked out on a place in the playoffs and we beat one team. Woohoo!! So this season everyone says we are suppose to be better on paper but not president trophy better lol...just a bit better so going from that assessment, we should fare better. So yeah we get off to a good start but then we bomb out due to several issues...but f*** excuses. Now going from everything we have witnessed ...all the hype...all the enthusiasm around the 100th anni...all the good teams we had since 93, what gave you the impression that this year would be our year? Cause Im really not seeing it. Weve had better teams than this since 93. Think about what this team looked like prior to the habs second playoff win against the leafs this year. It was 3 to 1...we were not going anywhere. The leafs were gonna kill us but then...lo and behold...the habs turned it around...almost miraculously...I mean...that series will stay in my mind forever...unf***ing believable...but that doesnt take away the fact that we werent suppose to win that. We just werent. A salvo of things helped us turn it around.

You make some interesting points.....keep posting.....it's fun.

rubco55

Feb 15, 2016
Toronto
Ya talk a big game here.

After game 2/3 vs the Leafs, nobody still believed we could cut it. But hey, they did. It's been a miracle.

Basically the Habs reached Buddhist enlightenment. When they realized they had nothing to lose they discovered their better selves. Had to unburden themselves of expectations and pride and just play for playsake.

Nope....just a regular game....but I like your Buddhist enlightenment idea....it's different.

Reactions: SaintsThomas

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
What are the vaccination #'s in Quebec right now? Any chance that Montreal looks at a full crowd for Game 6?

Vaccination is going well in Quebec. They're actually among the top in the world in terms of percentage of population per capita in terms of vaccination.

However, Santé Québec do take the more conservative approach. So they only allowed an extra 1,000 fans in the 3rd round than they had in the 1st and 2nd rounds (3,500 instead of 2,500).

But now that the entire province is moving to green zone as of Monday, I do hope they will increase capacity by a lot should the Habs advance to the Final. And I don't mean increase capacity by another 1,000 to have 4,500 fans only, but more than that. It doesn't have to be full capacity.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Hopefully this series doesn't mimic Tampa/Isles and ends tonight. Never seen Montreal win anything, best are two final 4 appearances that ended in being slapped.

Really hope Suzuki - Caufield duo take this experience and ends up developing into a legitimate 1st line long term. Kotkaniemi hopefully can also develop and be that #2 line guy with Toffoli. Danault takes a decent contract and continues to be the shutdown guy on line 3 with Gallagher. Perry has been amazing, hopefully he can be Montreal's Spezza in terms of wanting to stay. Doubt Habs keep Armia/Staal/etc due to cap.

LW - Suzuki (70 pts) - Caufield (60 pts)
Toffoli (60 pts) - Kotkaniemi (50 pts) - Anderson (40 pts)
Lehkonen - Danault (35 pts) - Gallagher (45 pts)
LW - Evans - Perry

Don't think it's completely unrealistic for next season but likely riding the high from this playoff run. :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad