Olympics: Semi-Final Predictions ->Finals Predictions

OttawaKing

May 24, 2012
I know it's a bit early, especially given how the outcomes of tomorrow's games can significantly rearrange the overall standings before the playoffs. However, I think not knowing is what makes it all the funner and at least personally will help relieve a bit of the stress of having to wait till this time tomorrow to truly know.

ranking criteria per IIHF:
  • Higher position in the group
  • Higher number of points
  • Better goal difference
  • Higher number of goals scored for
  • Better 2017 IIHF World Ranking
SWE-8pts
CZE-8pts
OAR-6pts
CAN-7pts(predicting they overtake FIN in GD through SK game)
FIN-7pts
SLN-4pts
USA-4pts
SUI-3pts(again better GD than either of the next 2)
GER-2/3pts
SLK-4pts
NOR-1/0pts
SK-0pts(worst GD)

obviously the two biggest questions are the CZE-SUI & FIN-SWE game

FIN beats SK
SLN beats NOR
USA beats SLK
SUI beats GER

QF's
SWE beats SUI
CZE beats USA
OAR beats SLN
CAN beats FIN

SF's
SWE-CAN & CZE-OAR

edited to follow ranking criteria properly:sarcasm:

Last edited:

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Slovenia USA and Slovakia can't be placed as you placed them,

Slovakia already know their position and it will be 10D

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
I know it's a bit early, especially given how the outcomes of tomorrow's games can significantly rearrange the overall standings before the playoffs. However, I think not knowing is what makes it all the funner and at least personally will help relieve a bit of the stress of having to wait till this time tomorrow to truly know.

ranking criteria per IIHF:
  • Higher position in the group
  • Higher number of points
  • Better goal difference
  • Higher number of goals scored for
  • Better 2017 IIHF World Ranking
SWE-8pts
CZE-8pts
OAR-6pts
FIN-7pts
SLN-4pts
USA-4pts
SLK-4pts
GER-2/3pts
NOR-1/0pts
SK-0pts(worst GD)

obviously the two biggest questions are the CZE-SUI & FIN-SWE game

FIN beats SK
SLN beats NOR
USA beats GER
SUI beats SLK

QF's
SWE beats SUI
CZE beats USA
OAR beats SLN
CAN beats FIN

SF's
SWE-CAN & CZE-OAR

Please explain

Do the top 8 advance?
I thought Slovania beating the states passes them ?

Also how can you have Canada below Russia when Canada has 7 points and Russia 6?

Should it not be like this

SWE-8pts
CZE-8pts
FIN-7pts (You are assuming Sweden wins over Finland)
OAR-6pts
SLN-4pts
USA-4pts
SLK-4pts
GER-2/3pts
NOR-1/0pts
SK-0pts(worst GD)

Lol if Finland beats Sweden then we will play Russia in the quarters no? Lol

Last edited:

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Cakers ain't beating Finland, and Sweden is going down tomorrow. Semifinals. Fin vs Swe and Cze vs OAR.
Final, Finland vs Russia.

OttawaKing

May 24, 2012
Slovenia USA and Slovakia can't be placed as you placed them,

Slovakia already know their position and it will be 10D

Please explain

Do the top 8 advance?
I thought Slovania beating the states passes them ?

Also how can you have Canada below Russia when Canada has 7 points and Russia 6?

Should it not be like this

SWE-8pts
CZE-8pts
FIN-7pts (You are assuming Sweden wins over Finland)
OAR-6pts
SLN-4pts
USA-4pts
SLK-4pts
GER-2/3pts
NOR-1/0pts
SK-0pts(worst GD)

Lol if Finland beats Sweden then we will play Russia in the quarters no? Lol

Thanks @ovikovy817 for pointing that out I totally used it for OAR then it flew over my head that the same follows for the rest of the teams. @IKnowNothing if you look at the original post, placement within your pool comes above everything else and points is the 2nd tiebreaker.

I'm just going to edit my original post.

p.s. I never count Canada out.

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009
If the Swiss get a least a point vs the Czechs the US is #8 (and will play the Germany/Norway winner). If not, they are #7 and get a rematch with #10 Slovakia.

The Sweden/Finland winner will be #1 unless it goes to OT and the Czech Republic can make up the goal difference.

Assuming Canada gets all 3 points vs South Korea, they will either be #2 if they win the group (which puts Russia at #3), or #4. Even if Sweden/Finland go to OT (and the loser also finishes with 7 points), Canada could have the goal difference tiebreaker after the game vs SK. If they don't they would fall to #5. Looks like Slovenia will be locked into #6.

The Germany/Norway loser and South Korea will be #11 and #12 based on goal difference.

Last edited:

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
If the Swiss get a least a point vs the Czechs the US is #8 (and will play the Germany/Norway winner). If not, they are #7 and get a rematch with #10 Slovakia.

The Sweden/Finland winner will be #1 unless it goes to OT and the Czech Republic can make up the goal difference.

Assuming Canada gets all 3 points vs South Korea, they will either be #2 if they win the group (which puts Russia at #3), or #4. Even if Sweden/Finland go to OT (and the loser also finishes with 7 points), Canada could have the goal difference tiebreaker after the game vs SK. If they don't they would fall to #5. Looks like Slovenia will be locked into #6.

The Germany/Norway loser and South Korea will be #11 and #12 based on goal difference.
Hi

That's not fair

Are you saying that the quarters will be
7vs8
6vs5
4vs3
2vs1?

I'm not sure how the quarters will be setup?

I'm having a hard time understanding this as I can't seem to find info thanks

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009
Hi

That's not fair

Are you saying that the quarters will be
7vs8
6vs5
4vs3
2vs1?

I'm not sure how the quarters will be setup?

I'm having a hard time understanding this as I can't seem to find info thanks

Top 4 (three group winners + best 2nd place) get byes to the quarterfinals. The other 8 teams (5/12, 6/11, 7/10, 8/9) play in the playoff round. The four winners enter the quartersfinals.

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
We will know full playoff brackets in 1-2 hours from now.
Only team that might beat Russia will be the Czechs, they are always playing tight vs them no matter which era or players included.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
We will know full playoff brackets in 1-2 hours from now.
Only team that might beat Russia will be the Czechs, they are always playing tight vs them no matter which era or players included.
And it will most likely be the Czechs in the semis. Although I think that Russia should be happy to avoid Sweden and Finland until a potential final.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
In my biased opinion:
---------------------
FIN vs SWE
CZE vs RUS

Final:
FIN-RUS

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
OttawaKings prediction's looking pretty good now. Would love to see a rematch of Fin vs SWE in a semifinal matchup.
I think it's pretty tough to predict who would win between Canada and Finland in the qf. Anything can happen. Finland had a good chance today but decided to blow it. Oh well.

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
All I can say now viewing the playoff bracket is that if Finland goes on to win this tournament, they are well deserved winners since they will have to beat Canada, Sweden and (probably) Russia on their way there.

Will be interesting to see a rematch of Finland - Sweden in the semis and a nail biter between the Czechs and Russia in the semis.

Good luck all!

Reactions: Pilky01

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
if Finland goes on to win this tournament, they are well deserved winners since they will have to beat Canada, Sweden and (probably) Russia on their way there.

The same goes for Slovakia, where the route would be the US (again), Czechs, Russia (again), and Canada/Sweden. Extremely improbable? Yes. Impossible? Not really, especially in this joke of a tournament. Still less of a joke than the Gimmick Cup of fall 2016, though. The connecting element between the two potential massive upsets is Šatan as GM, working with a Canadian coaching a European team. ;)

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Canada - Sweden, Czech Republic - OAR. Final Sweden - Czech Republic. My hope then is for the Czechs to win, but I think Sweden wins.

Of course, it could all end very differently. Slovakia beat OAR and then lost to Slovenia, for example. It's not impossible that the Slovaks beat the US and then, in the quarter finals, being very motivated underdogs, beat the Czech Republic. Also, if the Czechs do make it to the semis, OAR are favourites of course (assuming they make it to the semis, which I think they will). I just hope the Czechs will win and for once try to be optimistic. (Which means they will definitely lose. Oh well.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad