Prospect Info: Sellgren PTO Charlotte

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
This is the guy a lot of people are raving about, saying the Canes got a steal, right? If so, good news him signing there. I realize it's only a PTO right now, but it shows strong interest from him in the organization.
An AHL PTO is way of bringing him to NA and Charlotte now, without having to sign him on an ELC of which he would burn the first year this spring as he is not Slide eligible.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
giphy.gif

Get him under contract for the start of next season. A year or two in the A and he should be pushing for a spot.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As it pertains to counting stats, I think the league isn't high scoring from what I can tell. A quick look through each team, his 15 points seems to be the most in the league for defensemen 20 and under (quick look so I could be wrong here). Would like to hear more about his game though. Style of play, skating, vision, defensive play, etc...

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
there was talk he was getting like 20+ minutes in the shl playoffs and scored 3 goals and 3 assists in 10 games in a league where defenders aren't really asked for offense. even guys like erik karlsson put up fairly modest totals there. not saying he's karlsson of course, but he's supposed to be one of the best in the league to hear our swedish friends speak. super excited about this player after all the fake news we got from fox.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
An AHL PTO is way of bringing him to NA and Charlotte now, without having to sign him on an ELC of which he would burn the first year this spring as he is not Slide eligible.
... and I obviously meant that this way they don't have to sign him on ELC for the 2018-19 season specifically (and burn a year). By the look of things he's pretty much signed on ELC for 2019-22 already and this PTO gives him an early NA start for the remainder of this spring.

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
there was talk he was getting like 20+ minutes in the shl playoffs and scored 3 goals and 3 assists in 10 games in a league where defenders aren't really asked for offense. even guys like erik karlsson put up fairly modest totals there. not saying he's karlsson of course, but he's supposed to be one of the best in the league to hear our swedish friends speak. super excited about this player after all the fake news we got from fox.
He was easily the 2nd best D on the team besides Erik Gustafsson (former Flyers player) for the 2nd half of the season, on a team with both depth and skills on that end. Took huge but also steady steps forward especially on the defensive side, and was really really good during playoffs.

Playing style: Allround player who's good at both ends. Excellent skater, likes to join in on the rushes. Good and fairly accurate shot. Makes fast and wise plays in the defence. Rather small but has good balance and strenght so it's not a big factor on SHL level, with its big ice and speedy, intense but not really hard-hitting forwards. Basically never looks tired or has brain freeze despite playing lots of minutes so probably extremely fit.

At least on SHL level, he's already and will continue to be a fantastic D for many many years. Let's hope he can translate that to the NHL. He's got the skills for it, but perhaps size will come into play a bit more.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Playing style: Allround player who's good at both ends. Excellent skater, likes to join in on the rushes. Good and fairly accurate shot. Makes fast and wise plays in the defence.
t67, thanks for the scouting report. I will add that Sellgren is another late round pick that looks really good in the PSF model. His rating was 1.67 (I consider anything above .8 solid and anything above 1.25 as exceptional).
As BBA and Vagrant mention his offense was well above average for his age in the SHL and his playoff scoring was even better. I am pretty sure I read that he had a series-clinching OT goal in either the first or second round.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Luleåbacken får chansen i Nordamerika

Luleåbacken gets the chance in North America

08:38
Jesper Sellgren was one of Luleå's best backs on the recently completed season.
And for the Tre Kronor hill, the season is not yet over. It continues in the NHL club's Carolina organization.
advertisement

SHL is presented by ATG Sport

It is the Carolina Hurricanes pharmaceutical team Charlotte Checkers who picks over Luleås Jesper Sellgren to North America. It writes Checkers on its website.

20-year-old Sellgren has a contract with Luleå in SHL for another year, but now he has signed a trial contract with Charlotte to be able to play in the US.

Charlotte Checkers is in the middle of the AHL playoffs Calder Cup.

- We lend him the rest of the playoffs, then he is our player again. It's nothing really new, more than we let him go there now, says Luleå's assistant general manager Ulf Engman to HockeyNews.se.

Luleåbacken Jesper Sellgren has signed a professional test contract with the AHL team Charlotte and goes over to the USA. Photo: Photo Agency.

Jesper Sellgren came to Luleå from Modo and in SHL the skilled slope played all 52 matches this season and accounted for 15 points (3 goals, 12 assists).

Sellgren has also made his debut in Tre Kronor, where he played eight national matches during the year. In 2018, he was drafted by Carolina in the sixth round. He has not yet signed any NHL contract with Hurricanes.

- They will probably see him in the summer, and surely take him over to camp and so. We hope he will play with us until next season. We will not bring in any substitute but will hope that he plays for us. So we have to take it after what happens at the camp in the fall, says Ulf Engman.

As for Charlotte Checkers, the AHL playoffs are ongoing and the team has won a 2-0 lead in matches against Washington's Hershey Farm team.

"sijna" means 'sign' rather than 'see'.

Considering that Jesper is too old to Slide, it doesn't make much sense that Canes would Loan him back to SHL after signing him on ELC... unless Jesper wants and gets an European Assignment clause to allow him to go back to Europe in case he doesn't make the Canes roster for more moolah (like Vesalainen of Jets did this season).

Still a year of contract left to Luleå, so they'd get the ~200k Transfer Fee in case the Canes take him now. Seeing that Luleå "allowed" Jesper to go to NA now, there probably is an understanding between all parties of how things will go.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad