Post-Game Talk: Self destruct sequence activated

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Excellent post and I agree on the matchups. I think Ekholm and Bouch are ready to take a step up in class, and push Nurse (and especially) Ceci down one notch. I'd certainly give it a try. Both Ek and Bouch looked very solid last night against heavy competition and really compliment each other.

Also agree with the overkill comments on here, but that's the way this board is. After the Bruins game, you'd think there would be a parade planned. Now, we're talking about benching this guy and slamming that guy.
Almost need to go big game hunting again in offseason. Unload Ceci somewhere ( Arizona). My personal preference would be Parayko but there is talk of a bad back. Could be a no go there

Reactions: Porkleaker

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'm sure he feels bad enough about it that they don't need to pile on him with a sit down. Pretty much everyone on here has been saying he's been playing well. When we played Boston, people were hailing him as a huge depth piece and a hero for contributing. Now he makes one mistake (a glaring one, but they all count as mistakes), and the team absolutely wilts and crumbles from it. Give some credit to Marner on the play as well. McDavid had the puck in front of the Leafs net late in the game and drilled the puck into Murray's crest. Marner made about 3 moves and absolutely corkscrewed Skinner into the ice. I thought he's in way too tight, but that was an incredible move. Good teams pick the guy up and shut things down. This team has a long, long way to go, McLeod or not.

And lastly, what kind of a message does a sit out say to a player that has been an integral part of the team this year while only having 135 NHL games under his belt so far. Play well for a long period of time, but make a mistake and you're gone to the pressbox. Yah, that will really work for installing confidence. I think people are over-reacting a tad.

If McLeod is fragile enough that getting scratched once would ruin his confidence, how much of a future does he really have? This is the time of year guys have to start getting locked in mentally and limiting mistakes as games tighten up, nothing wrong with keeping everyone in the bottom 6 on their toes and fighting to stay in the lineup. For the record, I'm not advocating McLeod getting scratched next game, but I do think it would be justifiable. Kostin is in the press box, so it's not like there aren't any options to rotate in.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd scratch McLeod too. Feel bad about it? I mean you should. So what. Pro sports is not about feeling good all the time. Maybe you need to feel bad enough about it to not do it again and bring your overall game up.

Put Kostin in.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I'd scratch McLeod too. Feel bad about it? I mean you should. So what. Pro sports is not about feeling good all the time. Maybe you need to feel bad enough about it to not do it again and bring your overall game up.

Put Kostin in.
I don’t agree with this at all. Feel bad about what? They should ice the best possible lineup and he’s a part of that.

He literally just scored a huge goal against the bruins the game before…

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Not really frustrated by the fact we lost, but how we did. We really had the game in hand and just made some really dumb mental errors.
That's what pizzed me off too....we had 'em and we lost our discipline ! If we could find a way to minimalized these types of games that still seem to happen too often, we could actually win a cup !! :facepalm: :rolleyes:

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Those numbers are low for Bouchard and Kostin.

I think two guys they'll have to move is Yamamoto and Foegele if they want to re-sign all their FAs with Holloway filling the Foegele role and a cheap forward for Yamamoto.

$825K doesn't seem too off on Kostin. St. Louis gave him $750K for this season only to trade him pretty quickly. I'm sure Kostin's agent will ask for more. Kostin $1M+ seems like a bit too much. He got his chance late in the season and has tailed off a bit recently. Not saying he deserved to sit out. But if Kostin were still playing at the level he was the first month he was called up then he wouldn't have sat. Give Kostin a bit of a raise and let him prove he can do it for a season.

$3.5M works on a bridge for Bouchard, three years or so. Doubtful the Oilers can go long-term on him.

If Holloway and Yamamoto are gone my preference would be for a true top-six RW. Hyman hasn't been playing well lately, but there is so little depth on RW the Oilers can't move him down in the lineup.

Reactions: Duke74

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
$825K doesn't seem too off on Kostin. St. Louis gave him $750K for this season only to trade him pretty quickly. I'm sure Kostin's agent will ask for more. Kostin $1M+ seems like a bit too much. He got his chance late in the season and has tailed off a bit recently. Not saying he deserved to sit out. But if Kostin were still playing at the level he was the first month he was called up then he wouldn't have sat. Give Kostin a bit of a raise and let him prove he can do it for a season.

$3.5M works on a bridge for Bouchard, three years or so. Doubtful the Oilers can go long-term on him.

If Holloway and Yamamoto are gone my preference would be for a true top-six RW. Hyman hasn't been playing well lately, but there is so little depth on RW the Oilers can't move him down in the lineup.
I doubt very much that the team will give up on Holloway . Has one more year till RFA. He's only going to get better. Even if he ends up not being a top six producer, he'd be one heck of a good 3rd liner. He's fast and a relentless forechecker.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
The fact that they came on our board in waves after 1 regular season win says a-lot. Even Flames fans weren't that bad when they beat us in game 1 last year and that was the PLAYOFFS.
There’s just so many more annoying leafs fans. I don’t know if they’re actually worse or if it’s just numbers.

Either way Matthews definitely sucks and he wears a purse to the rink, that’s all I know for sure.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Goalie has to make a save.
Kind of hard to stop goals when your defense is literally handing the puck over to Leafs in OUR zone and walking in on net uncontested. Skinner is not the problem. With Campbell in net the score would've been in the double digits.

Reactions: Oilhawks

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Joanette and Lee are quite possibly the two worst in the business, and given the general quality of NHL officiating, that’s bad.

One of the few instances I wouldn’t mind seeing AI take someone’s job
The worst part about it is these are the two seasoned guys the younger refs are learning from. What I wouldn’t giver for a Vanhelleman or even a Fraser showing these guys what to do :(

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Put Kostin in.
Nope. He made a mistake but he's been doing well. The player that should be replaced by Kostin is Yammo. Dude has been invisible, he's too small and come playoff time when the intensity ramps up you know he's just going to get hurt again. I like what he brings but at 150 pounds soaking wet he can't play his style at his size. It's not a recipe for a long career.

• Love
Reactions: guymez and Duke74

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
McLeod trolled the Leafs game but he was also one of the main reasons we won the Bruins game so he's earned a chance at redemption. Yamamoto hasn't changed the outcome of a game in a positive manner since the Jets game and Janmark isn't much better.

Reactions: Duke74

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Kind of hard to stop goals when your defense is literally handing the puck over to Leafs in OUR zone and walking in on net uncontested. Skinner is not the problem. With Campbell in net the score would've been in the double digits.
Your crystal is pretty good. I’m not suggesting skinner hasn’t played his way into most starts. But the coach needs to get Campbell going.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Your crystal is pretty good. I’m not suggesting skinner hasn’t played his way into most starts. But the coach needs to get Campbell going.
GM needed to get Campbell going to Bako at the deadline and get another cheap $1 million goalie in his place. You could basically throw darts at any ~1$ million goalie that the Oilers could have picked up at the deadline for a pick and they'd be more reliable than Campbell.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
McLeod trolled the Leafs game but he was also one of the main reasons we won the Bruins game so he's earned a chance at redemption. Yamamoto hasn't changed the outcome of a game in a positive manner since the Jets game and Janmark isn't much better.
Agreed about Yamamoto but I dont get the dislike for Janmark. The guy is just solid defensively and manages the puck really well. He gives up very little.
On this team if a bottom 6 player can come up even or better thats pretty damn good because the top 2 lines are going to outscore their opposition most games.

Reactions: MessierII

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Woody has given Campbell plenty of opportunities to get his game going.
IMO, based on his performance so far, he doesn't deserve more than 2-3 games down the stretch....Campbell needs to take advantage of those games and step it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad