WJC: Seguin to World Juniors a possibility

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
The Bruins may have an unexpected means to clear some coveted salary cap space -- allow Tyler Seguin to wear the Canadian Maple Leaf at the World Junior Championships to be held Dec. 26 through Jan. 5 at Buffalo, N.Y.

“I haven’t heard either way,†Seguin said Tuesday afternoon as to whether he’d be allowed to play in the tournament.

But a team source said later in the day that the Bruins may be willing to let Seguin play for his country and achieve a lifelong dream after being skipped over for last year’s World Juniors. If the Bruins allow Seguin to go to camp and play in the tournament, his salary would not count against the cap for the time he was away.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruins/post/_/id/2983/seguin-to-world-juniors-a-possibility

Could be a win-win situation for both Seguin & the Bruins.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Could be a win-win situation for both Seguin & the Bruins.
Make that win-win-win as the Canadian team would benefit greatly also. Now you've got me all excited thinking about this possibility, but it's probably still a longshot.

CODER33

Nov 28, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario
Letting Seguin play may boost his confidence and add some swag to his game, if you will. I agree with the win-win-win part of this move. Seguin gets to play for Canada and gains swagger and confidence coming back to the NHL. Boston gets Seguin back after being able to play for his home country and will hugely benefit from his confidence and new found swag. Canada gets Seguin, enough said. The only down-part would be if Canada or Seguin doesn't succeed at the WJC...or gets injured:nono:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I think it is disgraceful that the NHL rapes(!!! Sorry, but there is no other word for it) the Canadian team every year. It is flattering, of course, but unfair. We love this tournament so much... why should we be punished because our kids are so strong. HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba
I think it is disgraceful that the NHL rapes(!!! Sorry, but there is no other word for it) the Canadian team every year. It is flattering, of course, but unfair. We love this tournament so much... why should we be punished because our kids are so strong. HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its not so unfair since its like this every year

it cant be 2005 every year

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
This just in: the Sturm trade has been nixed by Boston.

The team did trade Matt Hunwick though, but are still in need of cap space, so all hope on Seguin isn't lost. Of course, they're probably just doing this to torture me...

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Statsy :

Re :

"Of course, they're probably just doing this to torture me..."

LOL!!!!

This month has been a kick in the teeth so thank you for the laugh. I needed it. :)

13 others

Apr 18, 2007

Because teams are more worried about winning and players are more concerned about making money. Can't blame them really.

It would have been nice to have Stamkos, Doughty and Duchene last year but teams aren't gonna let key players like that go play in a tournament if it hurts their team.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah NHL teams who have youngsters playing big roles for their club should be forced to release those players to play in these tournaments.

What a joke.

Seguin may not be playing that big a role, but he's still important to Boston.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Classless Bruins Take away Seguin's Dream

Of playing for Team Canada at the wjhc, he was watching from the press box last night in Buffalo while Team Canada prepaired to play in Buffalo in the upcoming wjhc. In a interview he expressed his dissapointment at not being able to play in the World's when he saw all the IIHF banners around the rink.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Of playing for Team Canada at the wjhc, he was watching from the press box last night in Buffalo while Team Canada prepaired to play in Buffalo in the upcoming wjhc. In a interview he expressed his dissapointment at not being able to play in the World's when he saw all the IIHF banners around the rink.

This exact same occurrence directly preceded Erik Karlsson's emergence as a top 4 Dman in the NHL, it was pretty unbelievable the type of effect it had so immediately. His final 30 NHL games he scored 26 points. It's an easy decision to criticize and dislike and I hated it with Karlsson last year. But it worked.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Yo let the kid play!! Are you freaking kidding me Charelli? That's a low move and there's no excuse for it. He's playing a big role for the Bruins right now? What a load of crap is, he was just a HEALTHY SCRATCH!! Yeah sit in the press box and watch your team play rather than represent your country and fulfill a dream. He'd play a huge role for the team, possibly come back with a gold medal and he'd be rolling with confidence.

Canada has a solid team without but it's a damn shame the Bruins are being so stubborn.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Yo let the kid play!! Are you freaking kidding me Charelli? That's a low move and there's no excuse for it. He's playing a big role for the Bruins right now? What a load of crap is, he was just a HEALTHY SCRATCH!! Yeah sit in the press box and watch your team play rather than represent your country and fulfill a dream. He'd play a huge role for the team, possibly come back with a gold medal and he'd be rolling with confidence.

Canada has a solid team without but it's a damn shame the Bruins are being so stubborn.

You're a Sens fan.... and you are serious?

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Who gets the job of telling the player who made the 22-man roster that they have to go home to make room for Seguin? Ideally, he would be on the team as the 1C and Canada would be a better team because of it...and I could even see him walking into camp after first cuts to make the team...but even if he was released tomorrow does anyone think Cameron would cut a guy from the FINAL roster to make room for him? A line needs to be drawn somewhere in the selection process, and for me it's once the team has officially been named

Pyke*

Who gets the job of telling the player who made the 22-man roster that they have to go home to make room for Seguin? Ideally, he would be on the team as the 1C and Canada would be a better team because of it...and I could even see him walking into camp after first cuts to make the team...but even if he was released tomorrow does anyone think Cameron would cut a guy from the FINAL roster to make room for him? A line needs to be drawn somewhere in the selection process, and for me it's once the team has officially been named

At this point, I don't think he can make it - for equity reasons.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Isn't is strange that the GM of the Kings, an American released Schenn, yet the GM of Boston, a Canadian refused to release Seguin.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: