Seeking Historical Perspective: Crosby/Malkin and Mario/Jagr

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Back then it felt like our PP was clicking at like 40%

Of course if those teams had some guys like Dupuis, Cooke, Orpik. Some real grit & defense. We might have had more than 3 Cups.

1penzfan

Aug 18, 2005
Apex, NC
The dynamic that I think people are missing is that Sig and Geno are roughly the same age and have both been relied on to carry the team while the other has been having injury problems. Jagr is 7 years younger than Mario, and on the cup teams he was a young pup with much less pressure on him. We was able to play the game in a carefree way because the pressure was on the established stars. Once he became the guy who had to carry the team the pressure was too much for him.

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I think the cap world makes it impossible to even compare the two eras. While I don't think Sid/Geno will ever dominate as much as Mario/Jagr, I also would like to see how Sid/Geno could do with the actual supporting cast that Mario and Jagr had.

I mean, we're salivating at names like Setoguchi, Stewart, Ryder, etc. Meanwhile, Mario and Jagr had names such as Stevens, Tocchet, Francis, Kovalev, Nedved, Mullen, etc. to play with.

Could you imagine the damage Sid and Geno could do if, hypothetically, Sid had a prime Stevens and a prime Tocchet on his line, while Geno had Neal but also a prime Francis on his line?

This is so true. It's impossible to field a team like that nowadays. It essentially drove us into bankruptcy, but it was sure as hell fun to watch. Those early 90's teams were full of HOF'ers.

I think Mario/Jagr were the more dominant of the combo's, even putting the others in the different eras (although, that's really hard to compare). I just feel Mario/Jagr in their prime would make their supporting cast look better than Sid/Geno do (although, they do make the players around them better too).

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
who were the greats in the 90s? i started watching hockey during the cup years but was to young to really appreicate what i was seeing. i didnt follow it then like i do now. who were the top 10 in the 90s. like todays game you have Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Sedins ect...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad