Confirmed with Link: Sedins joint Canucks front office as Special Advisors to GM

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I was under the assumption that ownership hired the Sedins..?..I guess not.
This is an interesting tweet.
I don't believe him.

Benning previously said that he told the Sedins that the door was open to the Sedins should they want to rejoin the organization. I don't doubt that Benning said that and I don't doubt that he meant it. The Linden/Benning regime has been hiring former Canucks: Malhotra, Higgins, Johnson, Cloutier. I do doubt that what Benning had in mind was that the Sedins would rejoin the organization in a capacity where they may have some say over hockey operations matters. I do think that if it was Aquilini who suggested, Benning wasn't in the position to say no.

As for who hired the Sedins, I think it is ownership behind the decision but Benning officially hired them.

Reactions: MarkMM

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Benning previously said that he told the Sedins that the door was open to the Sedins should they want to rejoin the organization. I don't doubt that Benning said that and I don't doubt that he meant it. The Linden/Benning regime has been hiring former Canucks: Malhotra, Higgins, Johnson, Cloutier. I do doubt that what Benning had in mind was that the Sedins would rejoin the organization in a capacity where they may have some say over hockey operations matters. I do think that if it was Aquilini who suggested, Benning wasn't in the position to say no.

As for who hired the Sedins, I think it is ownership behind the decision but Benning officially hired them.

Not remotely believable that ownership did not have a huge hand in hiring the Sedins, the major hand, given the displeased fan base and the consumer confidence crisis the Aquilinis are very aware of.

Reactions: mossey3535

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010

Honestly, and I'll probably get ribbed for this, but I absolutely think Benning had in mind that the Sedins would come back and that eventually he'll pass on the reigns of the franchise. I'm well aware of all the "DimJim" hoopla, but from the onset of his tenure here, he has said that he was trying to create a culture change. He's been a punching bag for the last 7 years for this organization, and he takes it on the chin. A lot of his criticism, especially on these boards, is for treating players like people. Awarding generous contracts to aging, cup winning vets to help develop young players, keeping quiet about player injuries and off-ice drama, trading Gaudette away for a fresh start for little in return. When he started here, he tried to give the Sedins another kick at the can with FA signings out of respect, and he was part of the organization that beat them in 2011. And don't forget the cut-throat shit show organization he stepped into, with Luongo (a captain stripped), Schneider, Kesler wanting out. He's a player's GM who genuinely cares about his players and wants them to succeed, and its obvious he doesn't give af about being the punching bag as long as his organization has space to grow while making some inevitable mistakes.

The Sedins are getting a rare opportunity to learn while building a their own brand of franchise culture from the grassroots in Abbotsford. This could really be a sea change for the organization, and I'm astounded that people on these boards are skeptical. The Sedins are smart people, they've had success quietly owning a stable in horse racing, and are incredibly young for hockey management roles. They have time on their side. Benning has been about culture building through and through, and its crazy to think he doesn't want to see the Sedins take over the franchise when they are ready; I'm sure he's as excited it about as the fanbase should be, and that he'll see it as a big win in his career when he's all said and done.

Reactions: Jimnastic

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I don't think you're the exception. Most young people like you don't give a shit about anything they weren't directly involved with.

This was a dumb post. Young people are no more likely than old people to be interested only in stuff they're connected to directly. (I should report it and insist that it be deleted.)

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
You guys are pretending not to know how NHL front offices and executive hires work in order to breath life into petty revenge fantasies. I suspect the Sedins probably see a vacuum of talent and foresight in the front office, and problems they can gradually fix and turn around as they advance in their careers. There's absolutely no incentive for them to forgo working for the team until Benning is gone.

You didn’t ask if there was incentive for them to do that, you asked if that would have been an improvement.

If you wanted to know if I thought that there was incentive for them to do that, you should have asked that question instead of the one that you asked.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
You didn’t ask if there was incentive for them to do that, you asked if that would have been an improvement.

If you wanted to know if I thought that there was incentive for them to do that, you should have asked that question instead of the one that you asked.
That remark was addressing another sentiment often mentioned alongside the one you expressed that also makes little sense. Eventually you just assume both are present.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
But isn't it a common theme across the NHL? And not exclusive to Vancouver? Some obvious/recent examples;

Yzerman starting out in - and returning to - DET, Luongo starting out in Florida, Sakic in Colorado, Cam Neely in Boston, Dorsett & Nash taking roles with Columbus, John Davidson in New York, Joe Nieuwendyk was GM in Dallas, Alfredsson had a job in Ottawa, Rod Brind'Amour coaching the Hurricanes, Doug Weight coached the Islanders, Bobby Clarke in Philly, Hextall's first GM job being in Philly, EDM had Lowe & McTavish as managers, exc, exc.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It seems like organizations take a chance on the people they know best & see how they translate. I don't think the Sedins are a bad bet.

Its not like they are coming in at a position of power like Linden. They are doing it the right way & it doesn't hurt to give them a shot.

I'm well aware lots of former players from lots of teams join management once their playing careers are over. Like Ron Delorme, Stan Smyl, Trevor Linden...remind me how well that's working out.

Here, on this team, owned by this guy at this time, managed by the people we all know well, it's a tire fire. The President was fired/quit and wasn't replaced. The capologist was fired/quit and not replaced. The head scout was fired/quit and not replaced. The team's missed the playoffs 5 out of the last 7 years. Deep dysfunction is clearly becoming more and more entrenched. This is the situation you want to bring people in to learn under? The tree of knowledge here is rotten. The longer it remains, the longer the dysfunction producing it remains. The Sedins aren't going to learn a single damn thing under Benning that they couldn't learn from reading a newspaper.

I acknowledge that this is a good thing but why couldn't it have happened under completely different circumstances that the Sedins couldn't possibly have brought about and clearly don't want to waste time waiting for?

Because those circumstances don't exist. Complaining about current management is obviously warranted, but then you respond to every change within management that actually seems promising by whining that the existing management will somehow taint it. So what do you want? Benning's obviously not going to be fired this year. Would you rather the Sedins had made some sort of stand on principle and refused to work for the team? Would that have been an improvement?

Oh what the bloody hell stupid shit is this. Let me tell you what would have been a f***ing improvement: Benning, Weisbrod and everyone of their cronies canned out of here and genuinely competent people taking over. I don't give two shits if the Sedins come on board right now or not as I don't think it's going to make a single bit of difference. Sorry, was that whining? Does it disturb you? f*** off then. Why don't you do everyone a favour and just put me on ignore.

Reactions: mossey3535

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Honestly, and I'll probably get ribbed for this, but I absolutely think Benning had in mind that the Sedins would come back and that eventually he'll pass on the reigns of the franchise. I'm well aware of all the "DimJim" hoopla, but from the onset of his tenure here, he has said that he was trying to create a culture change. He's been a punching bag for the last 7 years for this organization, and he takes it on the chin. A lot of his criticism, especially on these boards, is for treating players like people. Awarding generous contracts to aging, cup winning vets to help develop young players, keeping quiet about player injuries and off-ice drama, trading Gaudette away for a fresh start for little in return. When he started here, he tried to give the Sedins another kick at the can with FA signings out of respect, and he was part of the organization that beat them in 2011. And don't forget the cut-throat shit show organization he stepped into, with Luongo (a captain stripped), Schneider, Kesler wanting out. He's a player's GM who genuinely cares about his players and wants them to succeed, and its obvious he doesn't give af about being the punching bag as long as his organization has space to grow while making some inevitable mistakes.

The Sedins are getting a rare opportunity to learn while building a their own brand of franchise culture from the grassroots in Abbotsford. This could really be a sea change for the organization, and I'm astounded that people on these boards are skeptical. The Sedins are smart people, they've had success quietly owning a stable in horse racing, and are incredibly young for hockey management roles. They have time on their side. Benning has been about culture building through and through, and its crazy to think he doesn't want to see the Sedins take over the franchise when they are ready; I'm sure he's as excited it about as the fanbase should be, and that he'll see it as a big win in his career when he's all said and done.

With the work ethic and commitment the Sedins had as players i have little doubt they will bring that same dedication to learning and becoming exceptional hockey management people.
Fans should be happy they want back in and they are not types who want a gift wrapped executive title one has to think they will work learn and do everything to see that cup awarded i think that drives them for the fans and themselves it certainly did as players and representatives of the Canucks during their playing careers.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands

Does not communicating with your employees in a contract year include that? Such as Stecher, Tanev, Toffoli... all the way back to Shawn Matthias who has gone on record saying Benning never spoke to his camp.

It's a nice sentiment but this does not hold water.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Does not communicating with your employees in a contract year include that? Such as Stecher, Tanev, Toffoli... all the way back to Shawn Matthias who has gone on record saying Benning never spoke to his camp.

It's a nice sentiment but this does not hold water.
or strong arming a NHL vet from this province (who didn't want to leave) about waiving his NTC (eg., attempts to trade such a player without even discussing it with said player). Jason Garrison.

or not even offering Hamhuis (another vet from this province) who still had some gas left in the tank that he wasn't even worth the effort of giving a contract offer (though DimJim didn't even bother trying to trade a guy who he had zero interest in re-signing until the last minute - but, but "DimJim ran out of time").

Yeah, treat players like players bullcrap narrative from DimJim.

Jethro.gif

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Lol...if you insert the name 'Linden' for every 'Sedin' in this diatribe, it reads the same. I think Linden, like the Sedins, is a smart person too. Certainly he's had a lot more success in business in his post-hockey career than Henrik and Daniel.

But in the end, it made no difference. Sooner or later, you hit your head on the stonewall that passes for ownership and upper management in this dysfunctional organization.

Benning cares about his players? Maybe...but for some reason he apparently dithered and never made a serious contract offer to Tanev, Stecher or Tofoli when all were desperate to return. And we still don't know why J.T. Miller had to take to twitter-verse to tell management and the NHL that the team wasn't nearly ready to come back from COVID.

After seven years of mostly futility, this past season should have been the 'end of the line' for this iteration of Canucks management. And it surely would have been in almost any other NHL market than this one. But instead the owner convinces the Sedins to leave their horses in the barn and come back in from the cold.

And you still have to ask why there's still a lot of skepticism on these boards?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
or strong arming a NHL vet from this province (who didn't want to leave) about waiving his NTC (eg., attempts to trade such a player without even discussing it with said player). Jason Garrison.

How did Jim "strong arm" Garrison into waiving his NTC? Did he put a gun to his head or threaten his family? Blackmail him?

Contractually, Garrison could not be traded without his consent and that is exactly what happened. There is nothing in the contract that forbids Jim from asking Garrison to accept a trade to another team. Garrison himself said no to being traded until he finally relented. There are people here who think a GM holds the hammer in these scenario and this is not the case.

Teams don't typically ask a player with a full NTC for a list of teams they are willing to be traded to. It does happen but that's not the norm. Teams typically field offers first and ask the player whether they are willing to go. Personally, I think that's the way to go. There's no sense asking the player whether they will agree to be traded when there aren't any deals the team is willing to accept. Before Bieksa was traded to Anaheim he first toured San Jose when San Jose was negotiating a deal.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

This I believe.

Not sure why this is even news. Benning never said that he reached out to the Sedins about their interest in rejoining the organization. He simply stated that 1) at the time the Sedins retired he told the Sedins that the door was open for them and 2) he kept the door open for them. So whether it was Aquilini reaching out or the Sedins reaching out neither of these scenarios would lead to the conclusion that it was Benning's idea to bring the Sedins in/back.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Not sure why this is even news. Benning never said that he reached out to the Sedins about their interest in rejoining the organization. He simply stated that 1) at the time the Sedins retired he told the Sedins that the door was open for them and 2) he kept the door open for them. So whether it was Aquilini reaching out or the Sedins reaching out neither of these scenarios would lead to the conclusion that it was Benning's idea to bring the Sedins in/back.
read the last two pages

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Lol...if you insert the name 'Linden' for every 'Sedin' in this diatribe, it reads the same. I think Linden, like the Sedins, is a smart person too. Certainly he's had a lot more success in business in his post-hockey career than Henrik and Daniel.

But in the end, it made no difference. Sooner or later, you hit your head on the stonewall that passes for ownership and upper management in this dysfunctional organization.

Benning cares about his players? Maybe...but for some reason he apparently dithered and never made a serious contract offer to Tanev, Stecher or Tofoli when all were desperate to return. And we still don't know why J.T. Miller had to take to twitter-verse to tell management and the NHL that the team wasn't nearly ready to come back from COVID.

After seven years of mostly futility, this past season should have been the 'end of the line' for this iteration of Canucks management. And it surely would have been in almost any other NHL market than this one. But instead the owner convinces the Sedins to leave their horses in the barn and come back in from the cold.

And you still have to ask why there's still a lot of skepticism on these boards?
Linden wasn't doing much legwork, and just had his opinions from the top. I'm not saying his projection that the team wasn't ready to compete for a playoff spot was wrong, but the bulk of the people doing the work in the franchise and the owners footing the bill had a different opinion; its not surprising his role became obsolete. The Sedins are taking a completely different approach, starting from the grassroots and learning from the bottom up. Henrik is on record saying that if in ten years time, they are still in the same role but are helping the team, they will be fine with that. Very different.

I agree that the treatment of Tanev, Stech, and to a lesser degree Toffoli is puzzling. I do think the org had no intention of bringing those players back, as Stech and Tanev were getting destroyed by the forecheck in the bubble. Tanev is one of my favourite players in the league, but even I knew it was time to say goodbye, the poor guy deserves an opportunity for success while not being hung out to dry every night. This management group is very guilty of following their own prescribed timelines and vision of how the chips will fall, and it does put stress on players and coaches (this offseason) contractually. I have no idea why they consistently do this, and hopefully it changes, but for example to leave Ian Clark hanging to follow their process of evaluating their head coach is baffling. They were keyed in on OEL and left Tanev and Stech hanging for convenience, which I agree is ridiculous. Hence why we have Schmidt on (so far) a bad contract.

7 years is long, yes, but the franchise was committed to the Sedins, and the rebuild didn't start until they retired. We can be as critical as we want about that decision to support them at the tail end of their career, but they are back because they "care about the franchise and won't work for any other franchise going forward." Obviously the franchise cared about them just as much; there's a lot behind the scenes we as fans are unaware of that can only be assumed. Two of the greatest hockey thinkers of their generation running a team together is something to get excited about, and unprecedented.

Reactions: Jimnastic

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney

I do not equate Linden to the Sedins. I have one hell of a lot more respect for the Sedins at every level. Linden is a nice guy, but a lightweight in many ways, IMHO.

Reactions: BluesyShoes

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
I love the idea that having the Sedins play on complete dogshit circus teams with predictably embarrassing results was "supporting them."
we didn't make the playoffs in their final years because the Sedins couldn't adapt their game, they slowed down, and the league had the book on their cycle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad