Secondary Scoring.. or lack thereof.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Is anyone else concerned about the lack of secondary scoring? I just pulled some stats and the results are pretty ugly.

Perron: 1 goal in past 12 games
Kunitz: 1 goal in past 17 games
Bennett: 0 goals in past 17 games
Sutter: 3 goals in the past 17 games

I guess the lone bright spots are Hornqvist / Comeau - those guys are chipping in offensively, but it's clear that the Pens need a lot more help.

It gets even uglier when you consider the fact the playoffs are just around the corner.

To me, it's evident that the Penguins lack the scoring depth necessary to make a run in the post-season. Unless Sid/Geno/Letang/Fleury play out of their minds, I don't see this team making it very far.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
pens depth is still subpar. i expect it to once again play a big hand in their underdoing in the playoffs.

the bottom six is improved, but its still below acceptable for a supposed playoff contender.

this team still relies far too heavily on sid and geno, and with sid playing the worst hockey of his career and geno a bit out of sorts, this team is poised for disappointment.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
I dunno, if they keep playing like they did in San Jose I gotta think the pucks will eventually go in. They spent A TON of time in the offensive zone. And honestly, that's the best thing they can do next to actually scoring.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
When having 2 the best players of the world, you cant afford that much scoring depth, that's just the way it is. Therefore the management should really push on having quality wingers for Crosby and Malkin. Perron, Hörn are ok with Sid, but Malkin is just suffering with Comeau and Kunitz.

Whether the "two-headed-monster" is a good way to go nowadays, when SC winning teams seem to be solidly constructed teams with 4 good lines, quality d and excellent goaltending.. now that is another story.

BTW: Remember that Geno/Sid scored over 60 points combined during the 2009 playoffs.. STILL Pens needed the timely goals from Talbot and Staal. No team today is going to win only by two star players, or even with Geno/Sid/Letang/Fleury playing prime-hockey.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
There aren't many forwards in the NHL that go through the season without going through some type of scoring slump.

Horny will cool off pretty soon, and somebody else will pick up there scoring, its just the ebbs and flows of an 82 game season.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
When having 2 the best players of the world, you cant afford that much scoring depth, that's just the way it is. Therefore the management should really push on having quality wingers for Crosby and Malkin. Perron, Hörn are ok with Sid, but Malkin is just suffering with Comeau and Kunitz.

Whether the "two-headed-monster" is a good way to go nowadays, when SC winning teams seem to be solidly constructed teams with 4 good lines, quality d and excellent goaltending.. now that is another story.

BTW: Remember that Geno/Sid scored over 60 points combined during the 2009 playoffs.. STILL Pens needed the timely goals from Talbot and Staal. No team today is going to win only by two star players, or even with Geno/Sid/Letang/Fleury playing prime-hockey.

this isn't true. I'm not going to bother writing a book on it, but the Pens certainly could have had more depth throughout the Malksby era. They have chosen to avoid doing so at every chance.

Sutter and Lapierre are possession black holes and the 3rd and 4th lines cannot score this year because of it. This team is going to go out in the playoffs this year because of it.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Let´s face it, Pens are a defensive team now. Scoring 3 goals in a game pretty much guarantees them a win these days. THe bottom6 is not scoring enough, but at the same time it keeps the puck out of our net too. That could be enough, IF...

Primary concerns for me are a PP & Chris Kunitz. Secondary concern is David Perron. He´s not playing well now and I´m just scared that his start here was just the result of being happy after the trade and he won´t come back to that level.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Let´s face it, Pens are a defensive team now. Scoring 3 goals in a game pretty much guarantees them a win these days. THe bottom6 is not scoring enough, but at the same time it keeps the puck out of our net too. That´s enough.

Primary concerns for me are a PP & Chris Kunitz. Secondary concern is David Perron. He´s not playing well now and I´m just scared that his start here was just the result of being happy after the trade and he won´t come back to that level.

You really are hammering on the negative Perron thing. I think he has been fine to be honest with you. I do have a concern with the gelling of that line (seems like either Perron-Hornqvist looks good one game with Crosby on an island or Crosby-Hornqvist looking good with Perron on an island), but I don't see any issues with his effort or play.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
You really are hammering on the negative Perron thing. I think he has been fine to be honest with you. I do have a concern with the gelling of that line (seems like either Perron-Hornqvist looks good one game with Crosby on an island or Crosby-Hornqvist looking good with Perron on an island), but I don't see any issues with his effort or play.
Well, you know.. Getting hot right after the trade and then cool off is a pretty common thing. Let´s keep that in mind. It happened soo many times. I´m just being careful with my Perron expectations because I´m not sure if Perron is really that good or it was just a spark after the trade. He´s still a wildcard to me.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well, you know.. Getting hot right after the trade and then cool off is a pretty common thing. Let´s keep that in mind. It happened soo many times. I´m just being careful with my Perron expectations because I´m not sure if Perron is really that good or it was just a spark after the trade. He´s still a wildcard to me.

He's a top 6 winger and is the same age as our core. That's all that matters to me right now.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
I don't see an effort issue with Perron, but I'd have expected him to be much better at finding open space than he has been. I almost wonder if being the most physical player in the top 6 in Edmonton (sad, but true) has made it harder for him to transition into more of the sniper role on Sid's line here. Sometimes it just takes a player a while to adjust. I'm not ready to reconfigure the lines yet, other than potentially switching Winnik and Kunitz.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
He's a top 6 winger and is the same age as our core. That's all that matters to me right now.
He is, those are the facts. To me, his play matters (all that matters to me). So far, it has been up & down and it´s really hard to guess how would he do in the playoffs for us. 50-50 question for me, completely unpredictable based on what I´ve seen from him so far.

He can be great in the playoffs but he can also keep slumping there. Who knows. My judgment is still awaiting for Perron, all I´m saying now is that he´s a question mark to me. We will see.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I chalk the dip in Perron's production up to the law of averages. He was red hot when the Pens first acquired him and he's been cool since. I think he's playing fine and the slowdown in his scoring will correct itself.

I also agree with the notion that the Pens are a defensive team and will live and die that way in the playoffs. i don't have a problem with it. I think they do have much better overall scoring depth than last season, when they took the Rangers to a game 7. coupled with the improvements on defense both teams have made since, i think the Pens are better equipped to deal with the Rangers in a series than they were last season, if only a bit.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Perron's a 25-30 goal guy. So those 1 goal in 12 games are going to balance out those 6 goals in 8 game stretches.

If you look at most guys who fall in that range, you'll see a bunch of hot streaks mixed in with some really cold streaks. The only guys who don't generally go on prolonged cold streaks are the truly elite goal scorers, like Ovechkin, Stamkos, etc.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
this isn't true. I'm not going to bother writing a book on it, but the Pens certainly could have had more depth throughout the Malksby era. They have chosen to avoid doing so at every chance.

Sutter and Lapierre are possession black holes and the 3rd and 4th lines cannot score this year because of it. This team is going to go out in the playoffs this year because of it.

bravo! another perpetuated bulls... opinion started with madden and taken over by the rest of the media...its not about not having money to fill the roles in the team, its about awful evaluations of players, and terrible use of decent ones...

I said before, and you said it again, as long as our 3C and 4C are Sutter and Lapp there will be no secondary scoring, no way no how, It is their decision to put the trust in sutter and Kunitz that deprived them of aquiring decent 3C and 4C

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
bravo! another perpetuated bulls... opinion started with madden and taken over by the rest of the media...its not about not having money to fill the roles in the team, its about awful evaluations of players, and terrible use of decent ones...

I said before, and you said it again, as long as our 3C and 4C are Sutter and Lapp there will be no secondary scoring, no way no how, It is their decision to put the trust in sutter and Kunitz that deprived them of aquiring decent 3C and 4C

We had one a 3rd line centre in Goc but MJ refused to use him.

Michael8771*

Is anyone else concerned about the lack of secondary scoring? I just pulled some stats and the results are pretty ugly.

Perron: 1 goal in past 12 games
Kunitz: 1 goal in past 17 games
Bennett: 0 goals in past 17 games
Sutter: 3 goals in the past 17 games

I guess the lone bright spots are Hornqvist / Comeau - those guys are chipping in offensively, but it's clear that the Pens need a lot more help.

It gets even uglier when you consider the fact the playoffs are just around the corner.

To me, it's evident that the Penguins lack the scoring depth necessary to make a run in the post-season. Unless Sid/Geno/Letang/Fleury play out of their minds, I don't see this team making it very far.
There's no question that our secondary scoring has been abysmal for quite some time. I'm not overly concerned about Perron though, or even Kunitz. But yes both need to be more proficient in finishing. I'm just glad you aren't singling anyone out as many here do. The issue is wide spread throughout the team.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
I hope Brandon Sutter could play like he did last year in the playoffs he was one of our best forwards .

Yes, but that basically means that either Geno or Sid will slump. Its just the way it goes with this team,theres always underperformers for some reason. If all three C will play great, then its probably Fleury who will suck, or Letang/Martin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad