Second Assists and Plus-Minus.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Torey Krug, 5 secondary assists (3 EV A), +- of -1 in a 7-2 win. A fun story of the "power" of the secondary assist and of Plus-Minus too.

How?
3 even strength you said, so that’s a plus 3.
How do you get -1, when the other team only scores 2 goals, and you have a +3 to go against it.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
How?
How do you get -1, when the other team only scores 2 goals, and you have a +3 to go against it.

Looks like Krug was not on the ice for goal 4 or goal 7 (but earned assists on both even strength goals):

Interesting! Working from my phone so possible I misread a line.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
How?
That's exactly my point. He had the secondary assists and was off the ice by the time two of the goals were scored. Just a condensed illustration of the problems of both 2nd assists and +/- stats.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
That's exactly my point. He had the secondary assists and was off the ice by the time two of the goals were scored. Just a condensed illustration of the problems of both 2nd assists and +/- stats.
Indeed. +/- is a joke stat and yet many on here continue to use it as if it holds some actual meaning.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Its actually fine if used right, comparing amongst teammates.
Even comparing among teammates, you have to understand deployment and matchups.

Even if you're a great defensive forward, your plus-minus is going to look much better if you're always lined up against Kris Draper than if you're always liked up against Steve Yzerman.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Even comparing among teammates, you have to understand deployment and matchups.

Even if you're a great defensive forward, your plus-minus is going to look much better if you're always lined up against Kris Draper than if you're always liked up against Steve Yzerman.

Traditional plus minus is also bad because it combines multiple game states. It can have its uses when just isolating 5v5, but empty net and short handed (in both directions) goals throw things way off.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Traditional plus minus is also bad because it combines multiple game states. It can have its uses when just isolating 5v5, but empty net and short handed (in both directions) goals throw things way off.
Agree with the empty net one, not as much for a shortie though.
Not sure what you mean, in both directions.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Agree with the empty net one, not as much for a shortie though.
Not sure what you mean, in both directions.

I just meant both ways plus minus is affected, ie: a player on the PP gets a minus for a short handed goal against and one on the PK gets a plus for a short handed goal for. I think we can put some stock in those numbers on their own, but they muddy things when combined with 5v5/ES play.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I just meant both ways plus minus is affected, ie: a player on the PP gets a minus for a short handed goal against and one on the PK gets a plus for a short handed goal for. I think we can put some stock in those numbers on their own, but they muddy things when combined with 5v5/ES play.
Ya I’m fine with those being included.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad