Sebastien Bordeleau is French?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Born in Vancouver, raised in France... moved to Montreal when he was 12.

Considers himself Canadian... playing for France because he's playing in Switzerland and they advised him to get his French passport back or something.

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Apparently he was cut from the World Junior Team a long time ago here in Canada as well. More power to him I say...would he ever have made Canada's roster? Of course not. At least he has some ties to France, unlike some players who just go over and play.

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
Most of the best players in france are french canadians that never made it to the NHL.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
that guy that plays for japan, chris bright, is canadian as well. he played for the canadian national team for quite a while..but is something of a superstar in japan, so he plays for their national team

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
IHFRA11502197501.jpg

Now that is one great hockey smile!

Friman

Jan 15, 2003
Visit site
Blackshad said:
Most of the best players in france are french canadians that never made it to the NHL.

It was true some years ago but not anymore.
Team France actually plays a french canadian (Bordeleau) and a slovak (Dostal) who have double citizen.
Sebastien Bordeleau is the son of former team France player Paulin Bordeleau and should have been selected for awhile now but some rules of the FFSG (French ice sports federation) made it impossible.

Actually Team France sucks but he is one of the best players there with our two goalies , Huet and Lhenry.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Blackshad said:
This is the kind of thinking that is prevalent on this side of the water. It is somewhat arrogant of us Canadians to feel that other national programs be propped up by Canadians. At the World Juniors in Halifax the asinine John Moore and his side kick arrogantly told Marcel Goc this" Marcel there must be quite a few Canadians on the German team, just how many are there? " Goc replied "ah..... none." Moore then ended the interview with his tail between his legs and i did not tune into the pre and post game shows any longer. Poor preparation which is nothing new for Moore and his crew. There are some Canadians on some of these teams but most countries are making a conscious effort to develop and promote their home grown players. Great Britain, Germany, Austria, France, Netherlands, etc are using homegrown players and doing a good job of it.

brian

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
That is true with many of the countries mentioned. Austria is having its best tournament in years and they are doing this with mostly a homegrown lineup. 8-10 years ago Austria had as many as 8 Canadians on their roster and this years team is much better than those Canadian filled teams. Even with the Canadians the Austrians still got blown out on a regular basis. France has also gradually phased out the French-Canadians on their roster over the years. At the 1988 Calgary Olympics France used 11 French-Canadians and they lost by scores of 13-2, 10-1, 9-0 etc. This year's French team is bad but I don't think they are any worse than that Olympic team and should be doing better.

Owen

Roster Guru
Sep 13, 2003
Legolas, you're right about that. He would've had no chance to make any Canadian national team. So even though I think it's Pejorative Slured that they've allowed him to play for France, more power to him for finding a loophole in the system.

BCCHL inactive

CoolJay28 said:
Legolas, you're right about that. He would've had no chance to make any Canadian national team. So even though I think it's Pejorative Slured that they've allowed him to play for France, more power to him for finding a loophole in the system.

Why is it Pejorative Slured? Bordeleau has never represented Canada in hockey and despite being born in Vancouver, he is a French citizen. He has every right to play for France.

I was born in Prince George, BC. My father was born in Arnhem, Netherlands. If I started to play hockey again and somehow magically gained enough skill to play pro hockey in Europe, I would jump at the chance to get my Dutch Citizenship and play for Holland.

Owen

Roster Guru
Sep 13, 2003
Just because you have it in your blood, doesn't mean that you should be considered to be from there though. My grandfather was Ukrainian, but I don't go saying that I'm from there cuz I've never even been there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad