Sebastian Collberg

acfurino

May 4, 2010
Hey guys,

Islanders fan here hoping you can tell me about Collberg... Ive always believed the fans are more knowledgable and insightful than the so called "experts"... So What do u think Collberg's potential is? What are his strengths and weaknesses and NHL player comparable?

Thanks,
Tony

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Hey guys,

Islanders fan here hoping you can tell me about Collberg... Ive always believed the fans are more knowledgable and insightful than the so called "experts"... So What do u think Collberg's potential is? What are his strengths and weaknesses and NHL player comparable?

Thanks,
Tony

I was hoping he would be making progress this year in Sweden. Has not happened, it may look like he has regressed. At this point I am not sure he pans out. Sorry for the gloomy take.

JPGoHabsGo

May 30, 2013
I was hoping he would be making progress this year in Sweden. Has not happened, it may look like he has regressed. At this point I am not sure he pans out. Sorry for the gloomy take.

To re-open an old wound, didn't McDonagh have a regress year when we traded him?

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Tony

could develop into a 2nd liner or bust. small, soft, pretty boy mentality that rarely goes to the corner and battle for the puck. okay speed average. fringe of being a bust at this point, hasn't developed. closest comparison would be andrew cogliano.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Tony

Very good offensive skills. Incredible shot, already NHL material and probably already a top shot amongst the ones already in the NHL. Good skater, nice offensive IQ. Needs to put some beef on his frame and not be afraid to mix it up physically. Seems he perfected the art of being elusive 'cause doesn't seem to like it when it's physical. Needs to address the rest of his game and overall instincts. But he has the pure skills to maybe make it. Though, for me, right now, if he's not a top 6 player, he's not a player at all. Were looking for some improvement from him that hasn't materialized this year. Seems lately that the reports we had, is that he was finally getting his game together in the last 1 or 2 weeks. Signs of better things to come? Maybe. If he comes to your dev. camp or rookie camp, you will REALLY like what you'll see. Needs to put it in a game though. He can do it. But right now, I don't think we can say if he'll boom or bust. Really depends where he is at next year.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Well he's definitely very skilled. He skates like the wind, has butter smooth hands, and a laser for s wrist shot. He's dominated every time he's played vs his age group.

However, there seems to be character / intensity problems. He hasn't had a productive season in 3 years in Sweden. At this point, his future in north America doesn't look bright.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
But one undeniable thing that Collberg has in his toolbox is a heck of a shot. Talking about tools, guess the best way to put this is that Collberg has the tools to be a Top 6 forward in the NHL, but not the toolbox

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
To re-open an old wound, didn't McDonagh have a regress year when we traded him?

yes mac regressed the year we traded him because he didn't put up the offensive numbers the club expected. we fired everyone including our prospect elevators since except the guy who drafted Mac, Timmins. Mac is a shutdown defender not an offensive player, which is what we thought he was. We wanted him to be another PK Subban

Analyzer*

yes mac regressed the year we traded him because he didn't put up the offensive numbers the club expected. we fired everyone including our prospect elevators since except the guy who drafted Mac, Timmins. Mac is a shutdown defender not an offensive player, which is what we thought he was. We wanted him to be another PK Subban

Well, he's doing both now.

I imagine Collberg will become the winger the Islanders want to pair with Tavares.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

That calls for a thread hi-jacking....but I'll just say this, people who says that he regressed solely base themselves on 2 things. His numbers and the WJC. Facts? Numbers weren't as great as we thought it would be. But then, in Wisconsin, that team was incredibley defensively oriented and for having watch tons of games, McDonagh didn't always had the role to support the offense. At one point, you'd think he didn't have the right to skate past the red line. Was laughable. You had McBain who, as the oldest D, had the right to do whatever. But even a guy like Gardiner who was always seen as a better offensive D than McDonagh, had good years, but their numbers were pretty close. Even the year after we traded him, he had better numbers than Gardiner. Aside from 1 D, this Wisoncin team was really strict of their D. As far as the WJC is concerned, he was rather ordinairy. Not a great tournament. Which should put perspective to the real meaning of 1 bad tournament....

To go back to Collberg, I haven't seen too many games, but for the likes of it, all year long, it wasn't only about numbers but how he was conducting himself overall. But at one point, you still need to show progression and it wasn't there this year. But I guess now that we've traded him, his progression will suddenly skyrocket....remains to be seen though.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Well, he's doing both now.

I imagine Collberg will become the winger the Islanders want to pair with Tavares.

I think he'll end up with Strome. Collberg seems like an easier minutes guy rather then a 1st line kind of player.

If I was comparing him to anybody it would be Eberle.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Well he's definitely very skilled. He skates like the wind, has butter smooth hands, and a laser for s wrist shot. He's dominated every time he's played vs his age group.

However, there seems to be character / intensity problems. He hasn't had a productive season in 3 years in Sweden. At this point, his future in north America doesn't look bright.

actually his skating is pretty average, some might even say its subpar for the style of game that he plays. he has an amazing shot tho

hes either gonna make it into the nhl as a top 6 or hes gonna move back to europe, i cant see him playing in a bottom 6 role. hes the definition of a high risk/high reward prospect, i think he'll make it tho

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
At this point in his development, I'd say IF he ever makes the NHL, he'll excel playing a 3rd line exploitation role (playing against easier opponents, mor eoffensive zone starts, low minutes, etc), but I wouldn't bet on him being a top 6 guy. His compete level hasn't shown to be remarkable or even notable. He's done well playing at the international level though, so he's got that going for him. he hasn't had much time to try out the NHL-sized ice though, as he seems to insist staying in Sweden. That doesn't bode well for his NHL development either.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Before assigning him with Tavares.....how about letting him grow his game. He could not play in the NHL right now. He still has to grow up and develop his game. If everybody could play with Tavares, everybody would. Not the case right now.

hogtownhabsfan*

could develop into a 2nd liner or bust. small, soft, pretty boy mentality that rarely goes to the corner and battle for the puck. okay speed average. fringe of being a bust at this point, hasn't developed. closest comparison would be andrew cogliano.

You obviously aren't familiar with Collberg. Interesting you find him pretty though.

Collberg is basically a less explosive Phil Kessel with a grittier mentality. He will throw hits and he will go into the corners.

Thanks for coming out though.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Tony

Doubt he will score enough to be top 6 forward. Due to his style, can't see him being a effective bottom 6 guy. Likely career fringe player

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

I always wonder if people who say things about this ever actually watched Collberg play. He doesn't have the motor of a Gallagher or a Lehkonen, but he is willing to go to the corners and the net. His defensive awareness isn't great, and he has been guilty of floating, but this is a common problem among snipers and Collberg has even played PK before.

The problem is because he lacks strength, he's not very effective fighting for the puck.

I'm sorry, a disappointing year doesn't make him a bust or a 3rd line exploitation player at best, he can still be anything from a complete bust to a 1st liner, realistically he still projects to a 2nd line sniper or a depth scorer.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Something about him makes me think of Alex Semin, but obviously not nearly as good. I'm a fan of Collberg, but have to concede that he's starting to look like a bust.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm sorry, a disappointing year doesn't make him a bust or a 3rd line exploitation player at best,

I know he was eighteen at the time playing with full grown men but it's not one disappointing year. It's two.

2012-13 Frolunda HC SEL 35 6 3 9
2013-14 Frolunda HC SweHL 40 3 6 9

He may still develop into a top 6 forward but his past two years have not been stellar.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Collberg is either a 2nd line NHLer or a flop, I personally doubt he will ever make it to the NHL. Skills/fast, but undersized. Was unbelievably talented for his age, but he progression drastically slow down in the last 2 years, mainly because he has a hard time adjusting his game against bigger and stronger players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad