Sebastian Aho Scores 2 Goals 34 Seconds, and 500 Miles, Apart

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Sebastian Aho controls the horizontal and the vertical. He can deluge you with a thousand channels or expand one single image to crystal clarity and beyond. He will make you experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the deepest inner mind to the outer limits.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Saw title had to come see what the heck happened Aho meaning "of course" in Punjabi my mother tongue.
I can see you watching Olympic hockey and 1 of your non english speaking relatives leans over and says hey that blue and white team is really polite, every time they pass they are like of course lol
completely different take if you were Japanese lol this idiot passes to that idiot lol

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I always wonder what would happen if these 2 guys happen to play for the same team how do you distinguish them on the Jerseys? You can't use S. Aho

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
No you're not.

I am.

bowling-who-do-you-think-you-are.gif

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You'd' think these players would be nice and polite but they are a couple of ahos.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
I always wonder what would happen if these 2 guys happen to play for the same team how do you distinguish them on the Jerseys? You can't use S. Aho
One of them could just have Aho on the back, the other could have S. Aho. Or they could wear different numbers I guess.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
It really that strange to have 2 players with the same name? I am guessing soon we're also going to have 2 Jack Hughes in NHL.

Yeah, maybe it would be possible to have two guys with common names like Steve Smith in the league, but it's almost impossible to have rarer names like Stephane Richer or even more obscure European names like Petr Svoboda.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017

Some things just need to happen.

I mean, Miroslav Satan was never traded to New Jersey Devils, which is close to blasphemy.

Reactions: Frenchy

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Yeah, maybe it would be possible to have two guys with common names like Steve Smith in the league, but it's almost impossible to have rarer names like Stephane Richer or even more obscure European names like Petr Svoboda.

Wonder how many Cal Clutterbucks there are

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Different numbers
This has happened before with guys with the same last name (e.g. Rick and Riley Nash just went by "Nash 61" and "Nash 20") or even the same first initial (e.g. when the Staals played together they went as "J. Staal 11", "E. Staal 12", "J. Staal 13")
It's definitely a confusing situation though

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
or even more obscure European names like Petr Svoboda.
Svoboda is like the 4th most common Czech surname, and Petr is really common too, so obscure it is very much not.

If you want an obscure Euro name try like Eddie Läck or Johan Witehall.

Last edited:
Reactions: tuozzi

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
The younger Petr Svoboda only played in 18 NHL games, one of those games against the older Petr Svoboda.

Defenseman Stephane Richer played only in 27 NHL games, one of those games against forward Stephane Richer.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
One of them could change their name to "Opinion".

Like the old saying goes, Opinions are like Ahos - everybody has one.

Reactions: AUAIOMRN

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
i can tell u there arent many sebastian aho's in north america. even more amusing is that one is from sweden and one is from finland.
In North America perhaps, but there are a lot of Swedish and Finnish players in the NHL.

We've already had Niklas Bäckström from Finland and Nicklas Bäckström from Sweden.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
We've already had Niklas Bäckström from Finland and Nicklas Bäckström from Sweden.
People within the same generation and cultural sphere often have similar type of first names because of strong name trends. Regarding the two Ahos, I guess Sebastian was just a fairly popular name to give to your kids in the Nordic countries in the late 90s? (and I don't think only because of the famous crab in The Little Mermaid).

Without trying to sound too much like an amateur psychologist or Sigmund Freud here, I think some of it is partly subconscious, and some of it is just fitting in. You'll often hear parents say "oh, we thought we were super original with our name choice, but then everyone else named their kid the exact same name!" For instance, former teammates Scott Niedermayer and Joe Nieuwendyk both have hockey playing sons named Jackson.

teugen

cats on a rampage
Dec 30, 2015
I remember looking the Isles game score after the Canes game score at some time during the first period and went f***ing crazy for a while because I thought it was still showing the Canes game score. Felt stupid after I realized...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad