Sebastian Aho in the same tier as Matthews, Eichel, Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Aho is one of the best players in the world in a big, European-style hockey rink. I'm not yet convinced that he can be one of the best in NHL, American style rink, though. His lack of physicality becomes more of a factor when there's less space to make plays.

Still, I expect him to be a top guy for Carolina, for a long time. And one of the best Finns, obviously.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
Aho is and will be better than Auston. Matthews only edge is that hes bigger and has a slighty better shot. Aho is literally better at anything else.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
The question is wrong.

The actual prospect tiers based on points in last 2 seasons.

(1) MCD (200 point club)
(2) Laine/Mathews/Pastrnak (70 goal club)
(3) Eichel/Rantanen/Aho/Ehlers/Point (50 goal club)
(4) Marner/Nylander (40 goals/110 points)

Reactions: 1OApick

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Why are people comparing a defenceman to forwards? Aho is a future top 4 at least!:naughty::sarcasm:

member 147413

The question is wrong.

(1) MCD (200 point club)

Marner has more points in the last two years than any player in tier 3. Nylander has more than Eichel, Aho, Point and the same as Rantanen. Pastrnak is in his 4th year on a line with Marchand and Bergeron, so I would view him a little differently. I think Eichel is too low.

Not to mention Marner has more playoff points than Ehlers this year. Your tiers are close, but they read with some bias.

(1) McDavid
(2) Matthews/Eichel/Laine
(3) Pastrnak/Aho/Marner
(4) Rantanen/Ehlers/Point/Nylander

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Marner is a very special player and has been underrated on this board (by Leaf and non Leaf fans alike) for a while now. He is going to be a better player than Matthews.
No he isn't. He will never be better than Matthews.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I like Aho, he's a solid player but I'm starting find him a bit over rated. Have to see how he does as the rest of his career unfolds.

Very common with Canes players. It's such a small market that nobody pays attention to the players, but then when they realize that some of them are very good, fans give them attention and then other fans say the are becoming over rated.

Aho is not in the same tier as Matthews, Eichel, and Laine right now, even Canes fans would agree with that, but just because 1 or 2 fans (usually Finnish) say that, doesn't mean the player is over-rated. Right now, he's in a similar range as guys like Marner, Nylander, Ehlers, Boeser, Connor, and a few others. That's not saying he's better than all of them or that he's going to better, but any one of those players could end up being the best of the group down the road.

IMO: Marner has the highest ceiling as he's a wizard on the PP and is could be the highest scoring guy. Boeser will probably be the best goal scorer of that group. Nylander and Aho are likely to both be centers and have to play the best 2-way game. Connor and Aho are the next best goal scorers and will probably have be best balance of goals vs. assists out of that group.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Aho is one of the best players in the world in a big, European-style hockey rink. I'm not yet convinced that he can be one of the best in NHL, American style rink, though. His lack of physicality becomes more of a factor when there's less space to make plays.

Still, I expect him to be a top guy for Carolina, for a long time. And one of the best Finns, obviously.

I don't agree with this at all. While not big, Aho plays a very strong and even physical game. Never shies away from checks, always goes into the dirty areas, shields off much bigger guys and wins board battles, etc. One of my favorite things to watch is when he's along the board and a bigger defensemen is coming up to lay a hit and Aho thrusts this shoulder back into the defenseman knocking him back. He'll never be a big guy, but he plays that aspect very well.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The question is wrong.

(1) MCD (200 point club)
In what world is Marner below Ehlers when he just had a 61 point season and then a 69 point season...

Marner has more points the past 2 seasons, and is a year younger yet somehow below Ehlers?

Really makes you think.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Marner has more points in the last two years than any player in tier 3. Nylander has more than Eichel, Aho, Point and the same as Rantanen. Pastrnak is in his 4th year on a line with Marchand and Bergeron, so I would view him a little differently. I think Eichel is too low.

Not to mention Marner has more playoff points than Ehlers this year. Your tiers are close, but they read with some bias.

(1) McDavid
(2) Matthews/Eichel/Laine
(3) Pastrnak/Aho/Marner
(4) Rantanen/Ehlers/Point/Nylander

The bias is goal scoring over second assists.

4th season, who cares? Pastrnak is 6 monts older than Eichel. 20 days younger than Nylander. Marner and Nylander might not make this list next season since 20 goals a season is 2nd line. Nick Smaltz might make this list over Nylander at this speed. Debrincat is on the way too.

Eichel is nowhere near the production of Matthews. This board is still in the draft hype, when Eichel has shown nothing relative to Matthews. Care to explain why would Eichel be anywhere near 2 younger guys with a huge performance gap?

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
In what world is Marner below Ehlers when he just had a 61 point season and then a 69 point season...

Marner has more points the past 2 seasons, and is a year younger yet somehow below Ehlers?

Really makes you think.

Why would he be any higher than Nylander? His numbers are really nothing to scream about... 19+42, 22+47. Both full seasons too.

20 goals in 82 is 2nd line in a playoff team. Just saying building a franchise around Mikael Granlund might not turn out so well.

Also Ehlers has outplayed Marner both last 2 seasons. Can't see why he would be lower with upward trend when Marner's trend is flat.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I can't wait until CAR gets Necas and Svechnikov on the same team with Aho and Turbo. Then give them a year or two!

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The bias is goal scoring over second assists.

4th season, who cares? Pastrnak is 6 monts older than Eichel. 20 days younger than Nylander. Marner and Nylander might not make this list next season since 20 goals a season is 2nd line. Nick Smaltz might make this list over Nylander at this speed. Debrincat is on the way too.

Eichel is nowhere near the production of Matthews. This board is still in the draft hype, when Eichel has shown nothing relative to Matthews. Care to explain why would Eichel be anywhere near 2 younger guys with a huge performance gap?

Eichel has a lot less to work with compared to the other players. As someone who loves Matthews complete game over Eichel, and Pastranak’s goal scoring ability, I don’t think either player has done more with less than what Eichel has to do. Not to mention both players have significantly better coaches to get more out of each player than what Jack has and has the team depth to relieve the pressure.

Jacks impact on the game as an individual player I think outweighs both players. The statistics aren’t close to the other players, but to perform at close to PPG rate with the injuries Jack has endured the past two seasons shows when healthy, or even @ 75% he’s a guy that should be up there with the Matthews of the game and justifies being in that 2nd tier.

Of course this is objective thinking.

Reactions: Dingo44

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Why would he be any higher than Nylander? His numbers are really nothing to scream about... 19+42, 22+47. Both full seasons too.

20 goals in 82 is 2nd line in a playoff team. Just saying building a franchise around Mikael Granlund might not turn out so well.

Also Ehlers has outplayed Marner both last 2 seasons. Can't see why he would be lower with upward trend when Marner's trend is flat.
I'm jets fan and I'd trade Ehlers for Marner in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Notsince67

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Hardly flat. In the last third of the season he way playing at a McDavid level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad