NHL Entry Draft Seattle to get a new NHL Team (Western division)

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I "think" I heard every team is getting $20 million out of it.

Now, I'm concerned who we will lose again, like we lost method to Vegas

f13bb50d1d621a75569821dc95bb5882.png

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Here's a list of forwards we'd have to protect that I posted in the trade thread. Obviously, not all those guys will be on our team in June 2021, but it gives us a visualization of how many forwards we might have to worry about being unable to protect.

1-Matt Duchene
2-Mark Stone
3-Colin White
4-Drake Batherson
5-Brady Tkachuk
6-Ryan Dzingel
7-Chris Tierney
8-Logan Brown
9-Rudolph Balcers
10-JG Pageau
11-Filip Chlapik

Guys who probably won't matter unprotected
Bobby Ryan
Mikkael Boedker
Zack Smith
Magnus Paajarvi
Tom Pyatt
Max McCormick
Gabriel Gagne
Nick Paul

Notable Exempt
Alex Formenton
Josh Norris (If unsigned this season)

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
Here's a list of forwards we'd have to protect that I posted in the trade thread. Obviously, not all those guys will be on our team in June 2021, but it gives us a visualization of how many forwards we might have to worry about being unable to protect.

1-Matt Duchene
2-Mark Stone
3-Colin White
4-Drake Batherson
5-Brady Tkachuk
6-Ryan Dzingel
7-Chris Tierney
8-Logan Brown
9-Rudolph Balcers
10-JG Pageau
11-Filip Chlapik

Guys who probably won't matter unprotected
Bobby Ryan
Mikkael Boedker
Zack Smith
Magnus Paajarvi
Tom Pyatt
Max McCormick
Gabriel Gagne
Nick Paul

Notable Exempt
Alex Formenton
Josh Norris (If unsigned this season)

I could see Norris not getting the White treatment just because of today's announcement.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I think there's a good chance 2-3 of Pageau, Tierney, and Dzingel will be dealt away for picks/prospects. Pageau is a UFA in 2020, Tierney in 2021, and Dzingel this off season. So all of their contracts expire prior to the expansion draft. Given we're a budget team looking to spend 8-9 million each on Stone and Duchene, I'd be surprised if we kept all three of them. I'd like to keep Pageau the most out of all 3, but I think with the emergence of White as a possible long term 2C, Pageau might price himself out of Ottawa as a top level 3C.

So while that list is expansive now, I don't think we'll have any issues protecting our forwards. While it'd be great if Balcers, Chlapik, and Brown all become top 6 players, the odds are much greater that at least 1 of them tops out as a third liner or even busts. 2.5 years is a lot of time to find that out. With that in mind, I doubt we have a real great piece unprotected up front. If we do, it's almost a good problem to have at that point.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
We’ll trade to protect if it comes to it. A 2nd and taking Smith or Ryan is what I’m thinking.

Ryan makes a lot of sense, he vacations in Idaho, and will likely be one of the bigger “names” available during the expansion.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Early guess at who we lose: One of Wolanin/Lajoie

Chabot
Lajoie
Demelo
Jaros
Harpur
Wolanin

Ceci
Borowiecki
Bergman
Sieloff
Englund

Those are the guys we have now.

It seems like Ceci is going to be gone since he only has two more years of team control and apparently turned down a long term extension this past off season. Boro's contract will be up and if he is extended again, he's a 6-7. The rest of the guys in the bottom list either top out as bottom pairing D, or never make the NHL.

Chabot and Lajoie are the only guys on the top list that stand out as legit top 4 or better defensemen. Jaros and Wolanin might reach that level one day, and Demelo seems to me like a bit of a product of Chabot. To me, unless we get back another top 4 defender in a trade, or we re-sign Ceci out of nowhere, it looks like we project to lose maybe a youngish #5 type D on the backend.

D is a lot harder to project than forward since D tend to develop at a later age. If we're in a situation where we are losing a top 4 defender, that's probably not the worst problem because it means we have at least 4 top four defenders in 2021, which puts us way ahead of where we are right now. It's a lot harder to leverage against losing a D in the expansion draft since only 3 can be protected. When 7 forwards can be protected, it's a lot easier to keep a top 6 together.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Because they pushed the leafue a ywar further Sens gets screwed quite a bit witj now having to protect all our rookies in Batherson, Tkachuk and Lajoie

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If we protect Boro I'm going to literally throw feces at the arena.

Like... probably not mine. Maybe a dog's? OK, so maybe I won't do that.

Give me a couple of years, I'm sure I can figure out a constructive way to channel my Boro-related frustrations by then.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
What name are you hoping for?

I am hoping for Seattle Totems.

I also really don't want it to be Kraken. Release the Kraken would get so old and lame so fast, it is the wrong ocean, and names that don't end in s just don't sound right to me.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

I also really don't want it to be Kraken. Release the Kraken would get so old and lame so fast, it is the wrong ocean, and names that don't end in s just don't sound right to me.

Seattle (Frasier) Cranes.

Seattle Sockeyes would work, except the league is phasing out fighting.

Reactions: HF Reader

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Totems is the best out of the 13 trademarked options, and it's not close. Some of those other options are really really bad.

I'm kind of partial to Seattle Metropolitans personally, but I doubt the NHL goes in that direction unless they also plan on re-naming the metro division.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I always thought they’d end up as the Seattle Emeralds.

The emerald city, emerald green, pretty easy logo to design. There’s some history to the name to.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I always thought they’d end up as the Seattle Emeralds.

The emerald city, emerald green, pretty easy logo to design. There’s some history to the name to.

I have read rumors their colors are going to be mostly red and black, as that was the tribe's colors who originally lived there.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I have read rumors their colors are going to be mostly red and black, as that was the tribe's colors who originally lived there.

C’mon. Red and black? The league doesn’t need more of that, it’s like every other team!

How many green logos/jersey combos are there? Dallas, San Jose kinda...

There needs to be more green! (The owners think so too)

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Totems is the best out of the 13 trademarked options, and it's not close. Some of those other options are really really bad.

I'm kind of partial to Seattle Metropolitans personally, but I doubt the NHL goes in that direction unless they also plan on re-naming the metro division.

Metropolitans would be my second choice.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Find a local animal and go with it!

Seattle Cougars

Seattle Skunks

Seattle Kingfishers

Seattle Salmon (now that is a colour we haven't seen)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad